mtbr member

97/98 Judy lowers

Does anybody know if the 97/98 Judy DH/SL/xc etc lowers are all the same?

And only for 97/98? Or are they the same into 99+? Or 96?

And any other lowers that are the same? I know some are small bolt/large etc....

JJY
    mtbr member
    The first generation 95-96 three piece bolt together lowers have the small bolt hole. The later Judy 97-03, SID 98-07 and Pilot 03-05 all take the larger lower shaft bolts. All of the above take 28mm stanchions and are interchangeable. I have not yet attempted stuffing the older uppers in to the newest J-series 28mm lowers.

-John Y.

mtbr member
    Yeah I know about the 3 piece, but I thought that was up to 95.

So 97-03 Judy are all the same mold? Or just same size 28's

I know there are different materials etc...

But say a 98 and a 01 Judy lower looks exact same? Because I've seen some 2000's that do not, and disc tabs etc...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    3-piece went through 1996. starting in 1997 they were using the one-piece casting. there were several variations in the one-piece cast judy lowers. obviously some came with or without disc tabs or canti hanger, but they also differed with respect to the length of the lower leg from axle to dust wiper. an example of a short casting can be found on a 1997 judy sl, and a long casting on a 1998 judy sl. this was not something that just changed at the end of 1997, though, as the shorter castings later returned on various sids and later judies.

1997 sl short casting (note the dust wiper is only slightly above the canti post)
    97/98 Judy lowers-dsc08015.jpg

1998 sl long casting (note dust wiper is substantially further above canti post)
    Name:  Foto-YZQXDJES.jpg
Views: 976
Size:  48.1 KB
    Last edited by s4gobabygo; 10-22-2013 at 05:13 PM.

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Was that just about increased travel, or was that for a longer axle-crown given the steady increase in tire sizes over time (eg 2.4s being very common now)?

oh, and nice pictures to explain the info :-)
    Last edited by GMF; 10-21-2013 at 06:09 PM. Reason: complimenting

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    i'm not aware of their reasoning, though most of the examples of the long casting that i've seen come from 1998 forks and some other less common forks like the judy XL and various OEM judys. the short casting like on the '97 (or one very similar) continued to be used in sids, including many longer-travel versions for a while after this.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by s4gobabygo View Post
    i'm not aware of their reasoning, though most of the examples of the long casting that i've seen come from 1998 forks and some other less common forks like the judy XL and various OEM judys. the short casting like on the '97 (or one very similar) continued to be used in sids, including many longer-travel versions for a while after this.
    The taller lowers were done for a few reasons. Longer bushing overlap to allow up to 4 inches of travel and more fore / aft stiffness and to use up to a 2.3 tire.

JJY
    mtbr member
    I run the long castings lowers on my short travel fork builds when ever possible. It is amazing how it takes the flex out of 98 SID.

-John Y.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    you can certainly feel the difference in stiffness from the 3-piece lowers to the 1-piece lowers, but i can't personally feel a difference between the short and long 1-piece lowers.

i also just took a look at a bunch of spares i have, and the tire clearance is identical on all pre-2003 lowers: 3-piece, short, and long.

here's something sort of cool from the manufacturer.