mtbr member

'94 Specialized M2 S-Works

I've enjoyed reading threads on this forum for about 5 years but haven't had a lot to share. This week, I picked up this super clean S-Works. I think the original owner bought it as a frame, because it has a full LX group. (aside from the hideous levers it has now) Oddly enough, the LX hubs are laced to S-Works rims. I like the look of the Titanium stem.

'94 Specialized M2 S-Works-m21.jpg'94 Specialized M2 S-Works-m22.jpg'94 Specialized M2 S-Works-m23.jpgIf anybody has a set of 3x7 LX shifters they'd like to sell me, please let me know!
    Last edited by nailtrail; 05-07-2017 at 10:57 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    It is very nice but be careful with the term "super clean" around these parts

I collect vintage Stumpjumpers myself and had a 93 S Works M2 that I sold and still have a 92 S Works with steel Tange tubing.

I have a nice pair of LX shifters I will send you for free (if you're in the US) if you want but I think they might be 3x9. I'd personally build that up with XT M73x parts though!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Honestly though, if you're going to ride it a lot, LX components are fine and very durable. They just don't have that cool factor

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

slower than you
    also that ti stem is kinda infamous for gettin' all loosey-goosey at the worst possible moment. as it happens, those binder bolts don't actually do a lot of bindering when the going gets rough.

i seem to remember, at the shop where i worked back then, that we pulled a lot of them off the bikes we had in stock and replaced them with a polished al stem that stayed put better. don't know if this was due to an official recall or if it was just something we did so our customers didn't die.

below is a really old picture of my buddy riding his blue sworks m2 up a really steep trail we used to call 'the portal of pain.' the trail is long gone. but he's still got the bike. note: no ti stem.

'94 Specialized M2 S-Works-55347845_9b26b01ec2_o.jpg
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/

mtbr member
    Yes, I did notice how thin the front plate was on the stem. Definitely doesn't inspire confidence. As for XT, I agree that it'd be cooler, but having a full LX group is ok with me.

Class Clown
    As a caveat, please only send those shifters if pics are produced.

mtbr member
    I have one of those ti stems also: itís been sitting in a box ever since I heard about it being recalled. Search this site, iím sure there was a tread on it.

Watch the bottom bracket area: I had a pal break 2 of those M2 frames back in the dayÖor do you have the steel frame?

5 years? welcome back to posting!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by rockychrysler View Post
    also that ti stem is kinda infamous for gettin' all loosey-goosey at the worst possible moment. as it happens, those binder bolts don't actually do a lot of bindering when the going gets rough.

i seem to remember, at the shop where i worked back then, that we pulled a lot of them off the bikes we had in stock and replaced them with a polished al stem that stayed put better. don't know if this was due to an official recall or if it was just something we did so our customers didn't die.

below is a really old picture of my buddy riding his blue sworks m2 up a really steep trail we used to call 'the portal of pain.' the trail is long gone. but he's still got the bike. note: no ti stem.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	55347845_9b26b01ec2_o.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	108.1 KB 
ID:	1136998

Those stems were total crap, super flexy. I don't think they ever actually recalled them but we sure did warantee a bunch. I remember for a while they were blowing them out for like 5 bucks for a ti stem. Apparently Cast Ti for a stem wasn't a good idea.

Looks like Ken in the picture?? Don't remember him having an M2 though but the ear covers and tool bag fit the rider.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by AKamp View Post
    Those stems were total crap, super flexy. I don't think they ever actually recalled them but we sure did warantee a bunch. I remember for a while they were blowing them out for like 5 bucks for a ti stem. Apparently Cast Ti for a stem wasn't a good idea.

Looks like Ken in the picture?? Don't remember him having an M2 though but the ear covers and tool bag fit the rider.
    Ha! Is Ken.
    "May your trails be winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view." - Ed Abbey
    http://rockychrysler.com/