Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

94 Marin Zig Zag Trail headset question

4K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  mechagouki 
#1 ·
I posted this on the Marin board but thought i'd also post it here

I have a 94 Marin Zig Zag Trail which i will be installing a front fork with a 1-1/8" Threadless steerer tube. Can anyone tell me what headset i'd need to make this work? Thanks in advance
:cool:

#5 ·
Biohazard74 said:
Lol ok thanks. So the headtube circumference does no matter? I'm new to building up a bike so I have to ask. Mainly because my Giant mountain bike and my commuters headtube is almost double the girth of the Marin. Thanks again.
Your Giant/commuter probably have cheap aluminum frames with crazy wall thicknesses, the Zig Zag was medium to high end I believe and has a decent quality steel frame so the head tube wall thickness will be no more than 1/8". The internal diameter is what matters to you - and as Rumpfy stated, most any 1 1/8" threadless headset will work, do be a little wary though as some bikes now run a kind of integrated headset that uses cups machined into the frame itself - if you buy one of those it aint gonna work.

Slightly OT, but I'd like to see some decent pictures of the bike (ideally before you remove the stock fork/stem). The Zig Zag for some reason seems to be the rarest of Marin models and there was a long running thread on RetrobikeUK that failed to ever turn up anything other than a catalog shot, I'm sure some folks over there would appreciate some good pix.

#6 ·
mechagouki said:
Your Giant/commuter probably have cheap aluminum frames with crazy wall thicknesses, the Zig Zag was medium to high end I believe and has a decent quality steel frame so the head tube wall thickness will be no more than 1/8". The internal diameter is what matters to you - and as Rumpfy stated, most any 1 1/8" threadless headset will work, do be a little wary though as some bikes now run a kind of integrated headset that uses cups machined into the frame itself - if you buy one of those it aint gonna work.

Slightly OT, but I'd like to see some decent pictures of the bike (ideally before you remove the stock fork/stem). The Zig Zag for some reason seems to be the rarest of Marin models and there was a long running thread on RetrobikeUK that failed to ever turn up anything other than a catalog shot, I'm sure some folks over there would appreciate some good pix.
I have a Giant Trance X and a Trek hybrid. Maybe the hybrid id consider a bit cheap if $400 is cheap. lol (to me it aint)

But i will gladly post up some pictures of the Zig Zag Trail when i got it fully stock for $50 off Craigslist.

Attachments

#12 ·
mechagouki said:
Very nice bike - I'd keep it totally stock (which that stem isn't BTW), but alas, 'tis not mine...
Thanks. The stem is actually a GT stem. The guy i bought it from gave me all the reciepts from when he bought it in 96 brand new. I did realize there was a couple of parts that were not what was spec'd on Bikepedia. The stem was one of them. The tires which was the only thing the guy changed. And the seat. The guy i bought it from said the only thing he did to it ever was change the tires. Maybe the bikeshop switched some parts or something.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.