mtbr member

New question here. '93 RockHopper value source?

Three weeks ago, some sub-human meth-head stole my Beloved and Revered 1993 Specialized RockHopper.......Smeagol wasn't pleased, oh no Precious, Smeagol wasn't pleased at all!! Nasty, thieving little orcs stole my Precious!!

I need to know: what is the most authoritative source for the bikes value? Most of the online data for that year & fork package gives $126 in Ex++ condition.

Some joker on EBay is selling the exact model and year I want- the thing is nearly a clone of my RockHopper- but he thinks it's worth $375 plus $63 shipping from Tennessee. Out of his rabid-assed little mind, I tell you.......

I'd pay double, but NOT triple"Blue Book" value.

Any advise or commentary, eh?
    "We look for Things.
    Things we need.
    Things that make us Go"

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear you got ripped off...

Don't think there will be much demand for a 25 year old bike but there's a buyer for everything. If I was selling one I would say the price is 'whatever I can get'.

Why are you looking for exact replacement? I would take this as an opportunity to upgrade. If you haven't tried any, you will be surprised how much better bikes have gotten since 1993.

Just for comparison...I'm selling my 2007 Kona Dawg Supreme and I'll be lucky to get $400. Great components, Fox susp, shimano disks, XT drivetrain, all in great shape but not much of a market for an XL framed 11 year old 26" bike.
    12 Santa Cruz Heckler
    18 Kona Process 153 AL/DL (27.5)...

mtbr member
    Nov 2017
    Back in 2016, I sold one that was right around that year (93-95) for $80. I sold it in TN so that could be my bike hes attempting to resale

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Where I live, a rigid 1990s mountain bike is usually under 100. We picked up a decent rock hopper with broken rear derailleur for $20 a few weeks ago. There is another Rockhopper listed on my local Craigslist for $50 right now. Looks to be early 1990s

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sturge View Post
    Sorry to hear you got ripped off...

Don't think there will be much demand for a 25 year old bike but there's a buyer for everything. If I was selling one I would say the price is 'whatever I can get'.

Why are you looking for exact replacement? I would take this as an opportunity to upgrade. If you haven't tried any, you will be surprised how much better bikes have gotten since 1993.

Just for comparison...I'm selling my 2007 Kona Dawg Supreme and I'll be lucky to get $400. Great components, Fox susp, shimano disks, XT drivetrain, all in great shape but not much of a market for an XL framed 11 year old 26" bike.
    There is no such thing as upgrading from a vintage specialized. Still the most fun and responsive bike I have ever ridden. I am looking for more! Willing to pay for them if they are in top condition too!

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by rattinox View Post
    Three weeks ago, some sub-human meth-head stole my Beloved and Revered 1993 Specialized RockHopper.......Smeagol wasn't pleased, oh no Precious, Smeagol wasn't pleased at all!! Nasty, thieving little orcs stole my Precious!!

I need to know: what is the most authoritative source for the bikes value? Most of the online data for that year & fork package gives $126 in Ex++ condition.

Some joker on EBay is selling the exact model and year I want- the thing is nearly a clone of my RockHopper- but he thinks it's worth $375 plus $63 shipping from Tennessee. Out of his rabid-assed little mind, I tell you.......

I'd pay double, but NOT triple"Blue Book" value.

Any advise or commentary, eh?
    As I mentioned in my previous post. There is no such thing as upgrading from a vintage specialized. If I were you, find a good example and pay for it! get on it and have a big S*&T eatin grin as you ride again! Sucks however. I had that happen to me in Yellowknife. I was at the mall and had the bike grabbed while I was inside a store...I saw the bastard do it, so I ran out and grabbed my bike back....I would have beat the piss out of him to get my bike back!