mtbr member
    Jul 2012

91 Paramount PDG70 - Any idea on seatpost size?

I am out of trial and error posts at the house and curious if anyone knows the size for one of these frames. I thought it was a 26.8 but it is still just a little tight. Is it is a 26.6 by chance? Just seems like an odd size for a mountain bike. Thanks in advance.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    I am out of trial and error posts at the house and curious if anyone knows the size for one of these frames. I thought it was a 26.8 but it is still just a little tight. Is it is a 26.6 by chance? Just seems like an odd size for a mountain bike. Thanks in advance.
    Pretty unlikely its a 26.6 on a mass produced frame from the early 90s. Pinched or tolerances could have been off (for the frame or the seatpost).

Lots of grease and a big hammer?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    That was my thought as well, just seems odd that it would not be a normal size. Frame does not appear to be pinched or anything either but I guess it could be the tolerances being off. I might see if I can find another cheap 26.8 around somewhere and try that. Thanks hombre.

If anyone has one of these frames around and could take a look for confirmation I would appreciate it.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Mine is 26.8. A light run with a hone in the seat tube should sort you out.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Make sure it's not just the seat tube clamp. You may just need to spread it open a tad. I had a similar problem, couldn't figure out what size, nothing seem to fit. Wrapped a screwdriver with a cloth, spread open the clamp a tad, and bam, post slid right in.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Already checked the clamp so we are good there. You know what is the most comical thing I am finding right now, how virtually no shop I am talking to even knows what a seat tube reamer is. Why do I do all my own work on bikes, oh yea now I remember......

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    My Thomson posts are small for their size vs. others if you're still looking for posts to try out.

Humanoid Lobster
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    You know what is the most comical thing I am finding right now, how virtually no shop I am talking to even knows what a seat tube reamer is.
    Since carpet fiber bikes took over the world, "seat tube reamer" is just a mean name that bike mechanics call each other.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I just went through this not too long ago with my series 70. It IS indeed a 26.6 seat tube.

I had a real ***** of a time finding a period correct seat post that was in decent shape.

Finally found a NIB XT seatpost from some dude in the netherlands. Paid a bit too much but it looks nice.

Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks SuctionGoat, I was looking at it over the weekend and came to the conclusion that it had to be a 26.6. There is just no way that a reamer was going to clean it up enough to make that work. That is a bummer that it is such an odd sized post. I am not overly concerned myself on the period correctness of the post but more of the quality of the post, especially the clamp. I will need to look around and see what I can find that will fit it. I had wanted one of these really bad BITD and I remember being torn between one of these, a Park Pre, and my first Bridgestone. Ultimately still feel I made the right choice since I still love my Bridgestones, but want to be able to build up some of these other frames side by side with the same basic builds on them to compare apples to apples on how the frames ride.

Thanks for the insight, solidified what I was thinking.