mtbr member
    Jul 2009

90 Marin Eldrige Grade

Been lurking for awhile and wanted to see if my old bike is worth restoring/fixing up or not.

I've got a '89 or 90 Marin Eldridge Grade. Not sure of the exact year as I got it used in late 90-early 91 (IRCC) and haven't found much info on the internet. Bike is a mix of Shimano DX/LX, though not sure how much is original as I rode this pretty hard in the early 90s and replaced some of the components. Steel frame with rigid forks (Tange OS).

Couple of interesting things, it is a small frame (15.5) and has a Shimano U-brake, not on the chain stays, but where cantis would normally be mounted. The bike also has the splatter paint finish that was popular in the late 80s/early 90s. It has a white base with green/yellow/black splatter.

The DX rapid fire shifter for the front derailleur has stopped working so I would need to replace. Paint is chipped in places and has some minor rust where exposed, but looks good overall.

Good candidate to restore? I've never been a fan of the splatter paint so I wouldn't mind repainting it but then it would lose it 80s/90s uniqueness. Not sure if this color scheme was rare or not. Haven't seen many old Marin's posted here. I really like the geometry and it fits me well, so I will definately ride it again.

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by SF70
    Been lurking for awhile and wanted to see if my old bike is worth restoring/fixing up or not.

I've got a '89 or 90 Marin Eldridge Grade. Not sure of the exact year as I got it used in late 90-early 91 (IRCC) and haven't found much info on the internet. Bike is a mix of Shimano DX/LX, though not sure how much is original as I rode this pretty hard in the early 90s and replaced some of the components. Steel frame with rigid forks (Tange OS).

Couple of interesting things, it is a small frame (15.5) and has a Shimano U-brake, not on the chain stays, but where cantis would normally be mounted. The bike also has the splatter paint finish that was popular in the late 80s/early 90s. It has a white base with green/yellow/black splatter.

The DX rapid fire shifter for the front derailleur has stopped working so I would need to replace. Paint is chipped in places and has some minor rust where exposed, but looks good overall.

Good candidate to restore? I've never been a fan of the splatter paint so I wouldn't mind repainting it but then it would lose it 80s/90s uniqueness. Not sure if this color scheme was rare or not. Haven't seen many old Marin's posted here. I really like the geometry and it fits me well, so I will definately ride it again.
    From the paint description and the u brake on the seat stays, I'd say it was a '89. The "Team Marin" was the next bike up in the lineup and was outfitted with an XT gruppo. Pics?
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

VRC Illuminati
    If it was a rare collector piece, you'd get people telling you to leave it original....but I don't think that will be the case here.

If you like the bike and don't mind spending the money on it, do what makes you happy.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Vader
    From the paint description and the u brake on the seat stays, I'd say it was a '89. The "Team Marin" was the next bike up in the lineup and was outfitted with an XT gruppo. Pics?
    Thanks. Unfortunately I can't read the serial number on the frame, which I assume would help identify the year. There either isn't one (unlikely) or I'd have to scrape off paint to see it, which I don't want to do unless I decide to repaint it.

I'll post some pics up later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SF70

I'll post some pics up later.
    OK, here are some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 90 Marin Eldrige Grade-img_9442.jpg  

90 Marin Eldrige Grade-img_9444.jpg  

90 Marin Eldrige Grade-img_9445.jpg  

90 Marin Eldrige Grade-img_9454.jpg  

90 Marin Eldrige Grade-img_9456.jpg  

90 Marin Eldrige Grade-img_9443-2-.jpg  

mtbr member
    I think it's wonderful the way it is, and for me personally the rear brake is fantastic if it stops the bike to your satisfaction. I want to hate the paint but in the end I just love it, a fine example from the era. Cool bike, thanks for posting.

Hi.
    Step 1: Crankarm fixing bolt.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    this is probably a dead post since it's so old, but I hope u didn't paint that bike cause it looks awesome with the splatter! I love that old splatter look. very unique!

Class Clown
    Yeah love that paint