Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    See Rumphy, they rise from the dead.
    Too many bikes, and just enough time to ride them.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Recent Purchase of the same bike

Hey I have the same bike, the one I purchased is not only in great condition but unbelievably original for a bike that is 24 years old. I will post some pictures and also post the full spec.

It is original - totally. Even the 1.90 Ritchie tyres (with no cracks in the side walls and good for a 1000 miles). Original Dia comp blocks even the original bar grips are good. I am doing a clean and restore job on the bike - but it rides wonderfully - very differnt to a modern bike.

The Avocet saddle is actually what was fitted to the bike when new. It is light fast and a good fun 'street bike'.

Will post again soon with stuff.

andrew

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    heres one of me at the 92 gonzo mountain bike festival at snowtrails ski resort in ohio..
    I just got this bike back...almost all original like i left it 20 years ago...i think its an 89 or 90 technium chill with dx components.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '88 Raleigh Technium - 56k take a nap-me-snowtrails-92.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    No doubt a gem. Big money to be had in Techniums.
    That's got to be the only time I've ever heard that said before. Usually I can't give them away, mountain OR road versions.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    just remmebered....a buddy of mine was taping one of the gonzo events..92 or 93??...and he captured a guy on video hitting a creek crossing type of down then up real quick area and the technium came unglued at the downtube/headtube junction and he crashed hard. I'd bet there's some cool footage from that race/festival on that tape.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by proto2000 View Post
    See Rumphy, they rise from the dead.
    You know its an old thread with 56k dial up referenced in the title!

Quote Originally Posted by Miguello View Post
    That's got to be the only time I've ever heard that said before. Usually I can't give them away, mountain OR road versions.
    Haha...I was kidding. These things are pretty low end and forgettable. Though the thread resurrector might disagree about their worth...
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I disagree, these bikes were pioneers and for me this frame is special.
    I bought the bike and used it cycling fromthe south of France to the Netherlands, twice, around Tuscany in Italy, around Greece three times, circled Iceland and many other tours in holland.
    And then decided not to ditch it but used it as a cross country bike in holland.

I have a canyon fully but I wil never sell my technium.
    I used it this week equipped with spike tires to ride to work.
    It was snowing this week and it worked perfect.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '88 Raleigh Technium - 56k take a nap-image.jpg  

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Ton, I think what happens is that some people comment regarding vintage bikes used as mountain bikes - dirt, rocks, roots. Not just big, fat gravely fire roads. And then there's the niche where a lot of bikes that don't do so well in those conditions are excellent touring bikes. Early bikes, to me, with eyelets, rack mounts, spoke holders fit this category perfectly.

Anyhow, that's my take on it. What you've done with yours is tremendous and it's nice to hear how far you've gone with it. People, including me, just differ on what we'd like our bikes to do and while we may disagree, we, or I, really appreciate when I hear stories like yours.

Thanks for posting and cheers from the US to Holland!

mtbr member
    Did someone bring up Techniums? Maybe there really is potential for this bike! Just holds down the concrete in my garage anyway.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails '88 Raleigh Technium - 56k take a nap-1990-raleigh-chill.jpg  

Team Brooklyn
    Wow, all this hate on glued-together Raleigh bikes ...

Rumpfy, I think you should send me yours.

Better yet Rumpfy, send me ALL of your glued-together bikes regardless of make

I can't bare the thought of you suffering with such ... ilk.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Benster View Post
    Did someone bring up Techniums? Maybe there really is potential for this bike! Just holds down the concrete in my garage anyway.
    Phwoar, that is sweet! Here's mine...

'88 Raleigh Technium - 56k take a nap-image0221.jpg

I think the Technium has nice looking geometry. Who cares about the weight and the lucky dip bonding process!

Grumps
    Last edited by Uncle Grumpy; 01-25-2013 at 04:45 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    love the blue techniums.....mine is getting retrofitted with a bunch of blingy parts to be used as a light trail and townie bike(pics later)......as far as the bonding..its as good as any weld if its done right!....mine was tested in the first month i had it...if it didnt break then, it will not break....but i sure do!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Interesting response to my post.

I would not say that the Technuims are a low end bike personally. You may question the reliability of the pre 1989 frames in terms of hanging together but they did sort this out and I have never heard that any 1989 + frames have failed The components fitted to the frame were at the time from the best you could get and engineered to a high standard. No nasty bits of plastic on the shifters - derailluer or cage - alloy and steel.

I have a Giant XTC1 which is a very nice bike, but whilst it is more complex and can deal with more than I would subject the Technuim to in terms of true MTB use, The basic enginering of the components is not as good as the Technuim. Just not the same quality.

I bought mine for 54.00 about $80.00 in great condition. Compared to the junk that people buy for 150 or $200 from 'online' shops this bike is worth twice that.

Andrew -

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2