mtbr member
    Jan 2005

390mm suspension fork

anyone know of a decent 390mm suspension fork 26" disc specific? I am sure I have to buy vintage but are there a more modern or newish forks made with these specs?

Phobia of petting zoos.
    Oct 2005
    390mm axle to crown?

What is going on?

From my memory and while brands and models with brands differ, a fork with 80mm travel is around 430-440mm a-c, as a rough approximation.

390mm would be something around the 63mm travel mark, I'd assume.

By the time disc tabs were being fitted standard, we had moved to a minimum of 80mm travel. So nothing made in the last 15 years will fit the bill.

Some Rock Shox or Marzocchis might meet your requirements, but you may need to do some kludging to make a later set of lowers fit the short travel internals.

Not saying nothing is out there, but it will be a hard search*. Personally, I'd look at a rigid fork and save the hunt.

Grumps

* Having said that, someone will come along and prove me wrong by having just what you need, hopefully!

artistic...
    Sunn had a rim brake fork w/ .25in travel or something.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

Hardtail Steel Forever
    Nothing common if there is anything. My 63mm RS forks were in the 410mm range. First gen, v brake only, SID is around 420mm.

I think you'd be looking at <50mm of travel to get that far under 400mm.
    WTB: Med Bontrager Ti Lite, PM Me...

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Maybe an early AMP with disc adapter would suit (or even a Rock Shox like this:

390mm suspension fork-br4720.jpg

It would look like this:

AFAIK Hope introduced their first discs around 1995/96 - but as the above posts pointed out, it would be really a hassle to find a fork with this AC with Discmounts (even with 410mm which is the equivalent of a 390mm rigid fork not many of them had disc mounts already)

Cheers

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    yup 390 A to C is correct. This is for my commuter which i have an exotic carbon rigid 390mm fork. I had a 420 or so but the rack was just little too high for me plus it made the bike look a little weird. I am only 5'7" just so you get an idea.

Like i said its for a commuter and i don't mind the rigid but was thinking maybe a few inches of suspension up front may help with some of the curbs, bumps and holes that i do come across. I knew this would be difficult and thank for the in depth replies and pictures.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Well, 420 isn't that far off when sagged... You can shorten many Rockshox solo/dual air forks with spacers, but you will be giving up most of the travel.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainbiker24 View Post
    Well, 420 isn't that far off when sagged... You can shorten many Rockshox solo/dual air forks with spacers, but you will be giving up most of the travel.
    This may just work because like i said i don't need too much travel