mtbr member
    Aug 2008

34.9 -> 38.2 xtr 901 front derailleur??

i just picked up an xtr 901 front derailleur in great shape for a klein i'm building. top swing, top pull in 34.9. the stamping on the fixed part of the clamp indicates 34.9, but it seems to have an aftermarket "swinging" piece to the clamp that makes it a 38.2. the fixed side of the clamp has been very slightly bent outward to accommodate. i did some searching, and i can't find a thing about it. this is not a for-sale post... i'm just not at all familiar with 38.2, and it would be a shame to send it back if it could help someone out around here.

so what the heck used a 38.2mm front derailleur in 1992-1995 when the derailleur was made? i suppose the derailleur could predate the aftermarket piece, but it seems specifically made; it doesn't look like it would fit any of the other derailleurs i have here in front of me, including a 738 and a 950. i've attached a couple pictures of the piece. any info would be great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 34.9 -> 38.2 xtr 901 front derailleur??-img_1703-25.jpg  

34.9 -> 38.2 xtr 901 front derailleur??-img_1707-25.jpg  

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Those were modded for several bikes in that era: manitou, etc. Very nice. 1.5" diameter seat tubes.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Answer made Manitou
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.