mtbr member

2nd time My first Ritchey

Well I finally got my first Ritchey 1985 TimberWolf, i've been lusting after one for a awhile and it was the first one i had a chance to buy that wasn't on Ebay and it was the first one i ever saw in person. I've had it for a few weeks and have rode the crap out of it, it is easily the best riding bike ive ever been on, screw suspension bikes, this thing is flexy.

put some XCII pedals on, switched the seatpost out with a cleaner nicer SR Laprade, installed a Shimano 600 EX starnut headset thanks to Leicalad. Also switched out the seat with Ritchey R1 Avocet.

Have a couple questions though for you guys

It doesn't have the original front wheel, which i swapped out the crappy alex rim that was on it and put a WTB Laser Beam with a WTB Paradigm grease guard hub on the front. Its signed by whoever made it says "Gravy" on it in sharpie not that matters but i didn't have a correct match so that wheel went on.

First question i have a NOS set of RM20's but they have Sansin hubs, i thought about swapping out, or leave it they way i got it. I also have a set of Araya 7x with high flange Shimano hubs, but nothing not XT or DuraAce they are sealed and came of a Raleigh Elkhorn and its a 5 spd.
    So what to do.

Second question is, i have a set of Fillet brazed Specialized bars i could swap out but torn between what to do. I'm pretty sure the grips will never come off without cutting them so i may just leave it.

Third Question i have all NOS Deerhead groupset i could put on it as well make it look nicer but i have been riding the crap out of it and i guess it wouldn't matter because most people haven't got a clue on what it is, they just think i'm crazy cuz there isn't any suspension or disc brakes.

Final question. I have a set of Mafac Cantilevers ive been wanting to use on something, wondering if i should swap them out or leave it stock.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2nd time My first Ritchey-ritcheyfull.jpg  

1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

mtbr member

More pics

2nd time My first Ritchey-ritcheyfront.jpg2nd time My first Ritchey-ritcheyrear.jpg2nd time My first Ritchey-seatritch.jpg2nd time My first Ritchey-wheelwtb.jpgClick image for larger version. 

Name:	ritcheyfront.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	143.8 KB 
ID:	801074Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ritcheyrear.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	801075Click image for larger version. 

Name:	seatritch.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	102.0 KB 
ID:	801076Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wheelwtb.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	135.0 KB 
ID:	801077

Last picture i also added that Ritchey Sticker maybe i shouldn't have done that.
    1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Good for you. I'm not a purist so I'm probably going to keep my mouth shut on most of your questions but if I were you and enjoying the ride and everything fits fine, I would just ride the heck out of it and replace parts as I went along unless it was way out of the general period. (I just remembered I have some stuff to fix on my bikes. )

mtbr member

2nd time My first Ritchey

Nice looking bike.

Probably no need to cut the grips off. Use an air compressor w/ nozzle.

As for wheels, look for RM-20s or 25s and high flange Shimano hubs (HG-72 I think). I believe most were bolt-on though. You should be able to find those or some XT-730/RM-20s on eBay for less than $100.

I love that Ritchey metallic blue. Very nice!

Humanoid Lobster
    I can't tell from the pics, but aren't the grips just Grab-on foam grips? You can still get those if so.

Bicycle Handlebar Grips, Bicycle Grips & Foam Sleeves

Compressed air will almost certainly get them off. Or, my home version is to use a rounded stick (I use a leftover chopstick) to get a little bit of alcohol underneath the grip and then work it loose.
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by YakimaDeathYaks View Post
    It doesn't have the original front wheel, which i swapped out the crappy alex rim that was on it and put a WTB Laser Beam with a WTB Paradigm grease guard hub on the front. Its signed by whoever made it says "Gravy" on it in sharpie not that matters but i didn't have a correct match so that wheel went on.
    While not stock and correct for the bike, you do have a cool front wheel. Built by Steve Gravenites I'd say.

GravyWheels
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    While not stock and correct for the bike, you do have a cool front wheel. Built by Steve Gravenites I'd say.

GravyWheels
    (mainlyfats glad he didn't say anything about the heads-in radial lacing then)

Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies, i'll probably just keep it the way it is for now and ride the crap out of it. I actually prefer it to a couple full suspensions i have.

The front wheel is pretty cool and not sure i could find an Araya that would be lighter than that wheel and it spins for ever.

I was wondering about that wheel its a 28 spoke and laced weird, was wondering if that wheel is a strong wheel being laced like that?
    1985 Ritchey Timber Comp
    1985 Ritchey Ascent
    1987 Ritchey Timberwolf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by YakimaDeathYaks View Post

I was wondering about that wheel its a 28 spoke and laced weird, was wondering if that wheel is a strong wheel being laced like that?
    Gravy built > whatever you read on yahoo answers.

mtbr member
    Sweet bike.

Needs matching (era correct) wheels, Deerhead build. but thats just me.

Saved searches ebay, trade thread etc....

It's only money.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    You are pretty close.

Find someone to buy that front wheel and use the money to get some Phil hubs to lace up.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Or go with a M730 build. Nobody will know the year (except us).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Nice bike! I would keep it as original as possible and keep your eye's peeled for correct wheelset.