mtbr member
    Aug 2007

2nd Gen Phil Hub question and help.

So I just picked up the mid 80's Otis Guy and it seems the Phil Front Hub Bearings are toast. The rear have a little play as well so I asked a friend, who has over 20 years of bike repair experience, to rebuild them for me.
    When he called Phil to inquire about bearings for the hubs the fella at Phil said it would be best to send them in and just replace the internals with newer style axles and bearings.
    My question is, has any of you ever replaced the bearings in a older hub and had luck? If so, how?
    If I do send them to Phil and have them install newer axles and bearings is that blasphemy? Does it ruin the authenticity?
    Its going to be a rider so it needs to be done.

Thanks,

Lawrence

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have sent some into Phil in the past, they send you back all of the old stuff as well. The cost is very reasonable and you know that they are done perfectly. I am not a purist but having a authentic old Phil with bearings that are junk would be way more blasphemy because it will just end up not getting used. I would say do it and ride the crap out of them.....

velocipede technician
    the old style bearings are bonded in place, and the entire axle assembly w/bearings pushes out of one side using an arbor press

they dont have any of the old style axles(I could have sworn I already mentioned this).the only way to tell is by looking at the non drive side. the new stuff doesnt have the flange on the end(the fronts are a little different too but you have to be looking inside the axle to tell)
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by hollister View Post
    the old style bearings are bonded in place, and the entire axle assembly w/bearings pushes out of one side using an arbor press

they dont have any of the old style axles(I could have sworn I already mentioned this).the only way to tell is by looking at the non drive side. the new stuff doesnt have the flange on the end(the fronts are a little different too but you have to be looking inside the axle to tell)
    You did on the Facebook page but I was not sure if you meant that it could not be done or that you had done it yourself and it was fine. These are bonded and need to be pressed but the Phil tech said that 9 out of 10 times someone has tried that they had ruined the shells.
    Seem sending them back to Phil might be the best course or action.