Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    I'm invisible.

2009 Brodie Catalyst-in Tange Prestige!

http://www.brodiebikes.com/09_teaser/catalyst.html

It seems that Tange Prestige is undergoing a bit of a rennaissance. It's nice to see the tubing that epitomized great frames of the early era being offered once again. Even with disc brakes and long travel forks, it's still a classic.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Signature space intentionally left blank.

gnar, brah
    They have a nice looking lineup this year!

Long-travel? What is that a 100mm?
    Trestle Bike Park

JmZ
    Reformed Lurker
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewpalooza
    They have a nice looking lineup this year!

Long-travel? What is that a 100mm?
    And in this forum that IS long travel. Typical should be somewhere between 0-63mm right?

My hardtail has around 2" of travel (read about 48mm). The modern hardtail is at 80mm.

The bike looks like a good modern hardtail.

JmZ
    JmZ

From one flat land to another.

Advocate as if your ride depends on it...

gnar, brah
    Quote Originally Posted by JmZ
    And in this forum that IS long travel. Typical should be somewhere between 0-63mm right?

My hardtail has around 2" of travel (read about 48mm). The modern hardtail is at 80mm.

The bike looks like a good modern hardtail.

JmZ
    I know, I just chuckled to myself, as I was just talking to a friend about my own long travel single crown fork. Which has 180mm.
    Trestle Bike Park

mtbr member
    I've always felt this was the appropriate amount of travel for a fork on a Brodie:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Show me your Toads. Old Brodies, too.

Visitor
    Why is this thread in VRC?

I'm invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by hairstream
    Why should it not be?

Visitor
    Uh, because other than the name Brodie, the reference to Tange Prestige, and the picture of the Gatorblade, I don't see anything VRC about it. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the heads-up on the return of Prestige, but...

Maybe I'm wrong. But, that hasn't happened for some years.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Ooooh. A fundamentalist.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by hairstream
    Because we practice selective snobberism.
    something's missing..

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    Ooooh. A fundamentalist.
    It's pronounced Talibaaaaan...

artistic...
    it has no brakes... what are these small circles in the wheels for?
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by disease
    Why should it not be?
    Because 2009 is in the future, not in the past. This bike will be vintage in 2025 or so.

Also there is nothing vintage about Tange tubing, in my book it's still totally modern. Now if it was Champion no.1 or no.2 or Reynolds 531 the tubing itself might qualify.

bonked
    Hey, if folks can post up brand new Potts and EWR why not a new Brodie. Granted a new Brodie is a Brodie in name only.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    Hey, if folks can post up brand new Potts and EWR why not a new Brodie. Granted a new Brodie is a Brodie in name only.
    And that last part is the key. The new EWR bikes I think count and the Potts type-2 fork since they are basically the same as the classic parts, keepers of the flame as they're called in the skinny-tire world. The new Potts bikes aren't all that close to what he was making 15 years ago.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by GonaSovereign
    I've always felt this was the appropriate amount of travel for a fork on a Brodie:
    LOL!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    I have a bike with Moron tubing. Is that just relabeled tange prestige tubing? Those quacks.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

I'm invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    And that last part is the key. The new EWR bikes I think count and the Potts type-2 fork since they are basically the same as the classic parts, keepers of the flame as they're called in the skinny-tire world. The new Potts bikes aren't all that close to what he was making 15 years ago.
    How is a new Brodie any different from a new EWR if the new Brodie is using the same legendary Tange Prestige steel tubing that their classic frames used? The new EWRs are using disc brakes and modern suspension forks, as are the new Brodie Catalysts. So why does the EWR count, while the Brodie does not count?

Visitor
    I'd tell you, but you know what happens after that...

Bike Dork
    Quote Originally Posted by disease
    How is a new Brodie any different from a new EWR if the new Brodie is using the same legendary Tange Prestige steel tubing that their classic frames used? The new EWRs are using disc brakes and modern suspension forks, as are the new Brodie Catalysts. So why does the EWR count, while the Brodie does not count?
    Read my posts again and slow down and after doing it and check a calendar for when 2009 sits in relation to 2008.

There is nothing classic or vintage about Tange Prestige tubing. If you think so I've got 3 sets of the tubing you might want to buy. There is NOTHING that the new Brodie has in common with the old ones except a sticker on the frame. If Paul or Toby or any of the original builders or contractors were involved it might have a leg to stand on. The new EWRs, like the new Mountain Goats, are made in the same manner that they were in the old days. It's a keeper of the flame thing.

I'm invisible.
    Quote Originally Posted by themanmonkey
    Read my posts again and slow down and after doing it and check a calendar for when 2009 sits in relation to 2008.

There is nothing classic or vintage about Tange Prestige tubing. If you think so I've got 3 sets of the tubing you might want to buy. There is NOTHING that the new Brodie has in common with the old ones except a sticker on the frame. If Paul or Toby or any of the original builders or contractors were involved it might have a leg to stand on. The new EWRs, like the new Mountain Goats, are made in the same manner that they were in the old days. It's a keeper of the flame thing.
    I disagree with your dismissal of Tange Prestige as not classic or vintage. Before the entire industry switched to aluminum and carbon fiber, Tange Prestige was the frame material of choice. It then went into a long period of dormancy, with almost nobody building with it. It is now making a resurgence, probably fueled by nostalgia more than anything else. The recent 2008 Prestige model by Orange bikes in the UK is another example of a company celebrating it's heritage with a Tange Prestige frame, much like the 2009 Brodie Catalyst does. The selection of this tubing for it's heritage status is very much a conscious decision among these builders. It is not necessarily a vintage tubeset in every usage, but when used in a deliberately nostalgic manner by a legendary builder, then it's heritage aspects cannot be overlooked.

The new EWR and Mountain Goat frames are made with disc tabs and modified geometry to accomodate the current range of suspension forks, as is the Brodie Catalyst. There is no fundamental difference between a new WhiskyTown Racer or EWR frame and the Brodie Catalyst. In fact, the Brodie could be argued as being more authentically vintage, since it is only available in a geared, 26" wheel size. The other two companies are offering their supposedly vintage frames with adaptations to recent trends such as 29" wheels and singlespeed riding. How are sliding dropouts and 29" wheels keeping the vintage flame burning?

bonked
    Yeah!
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Visitor
    Na, na, na, na, na. I can't hear you, I can't hear you.

mtbr member
    I didn't mind seeing it posted.

I didn't know the new Brodie company had nothing to do with the original guys.

I love the old Brodie white & green fork.

So, what's the harm?

If people didn't post here, this place would become boring fast. After all, Hoover and Rumphy can only own so many bikes...

mtbr member
    I've seen stuff posted here much more painful to the retinas than this.

Whether it belongs or not, it's a nice lookin' bike I think.

One thing for sure is we need to see more of that green and white unit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast