Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati

Cool-blue Rhythm 2006 Keyesville Vintage Mountain Bike Race Is Upon Us!

[SIZE=7]MARCH 17, 18 &19![/SIZE]

It's back and it's better than ever! The second annual Keyesville Classic Mountain Bike Race. This year is going to be far bigger, and far better with many more activities than last year’s event.

Here is the link to last years Keyesville MTBR thread: Keyesville Afterglow!!

[SIZE=3]RACE EVENT HISTORY:[/SIZE]

This world-class event returns again to its race venue at the historic Keyesville Mining Area for its EIGHTTEENTH year in a row!!! Because of this long history, the Keyesville Race was granted "Classic" status in 1995 by the National Off-Road Bicycle Association becoming only one of 19 events nationwide to be awarded this prestigious title and named 21st out of 25 on the worlds best mountain bike race courses in 1996. Additionally, we were recognized in the Top Three races in the United States in 2000!

As far as i know this is the only race promoter in the country promoting vintage bikes at this time. Show your support. His name is Jim and he's pretty much done everything I’ve asked of him. Super cool guy!

[SIZE=3]VINTAGE RACING: [/SIZE]

Remember the old days when you showed up to a race and there was no questioning whether or not you were doing all of the events? You showed up with one bike and you did them without question. Uphill, Downhill, Cross Country, and trials all done on the same bike without whining! That old mentality is returning to Keyesville. Every entry into the vintage racing is for the Downhill and Cross Country. The vintage guys are even getting a $15 break because the promoter is so excited about these old bikes coming to his event. The two races will only be $50 rather than $65.

Last year we only had a show but while sitting around looking at bikes we got a little bummed that the race was going on right next to us. This year we will be racing! Those old bikes of yours were designed to be hammered. I don’t care if you’re out of shape and only want to stroll around with a group of friends on course. I don’t care if this is the first race you've ever done. Remember....No Whining! Not only are the bikes going to be old school but we are going to have that same hard core mentality that the first mountain bikers had! damn I miss those days!

Heck, the cross country is only 8 miles. also, every entry to the event is for cross country and downhill. don’t worry about the huge full suspension rigs out there on the DH. We'll have a separate start for us. Were going to show all those tinker bell cross country guys that down hilling can be done on hard tail and rigid bikes too!

[SIZE=3]STRENGTH IN NUMBERS:[/SIZE]

It's looking like the Vintage class for cross country is going to be the largest cross country class out of all the categories! We are actually having two different classes for vintage racing to keep it fair. Obviously a 10 year old Fat Chance will be a lot faster than early 80's Mountain Goat Deluxe.

[SIZE=3]RACE CATAGORIES:[/SIZE]

There will be two categories:

Bikes that are 10-19 years old

Bikes that are 20 years old or older. (special props for bikes in this class )

[SIZE=3]BIKE POLICE:[/SIZE]

As a general rule it would be nice to have the bike pretty much all period correct. It just wouldn't be right to an 1981 Ritchey with suspension or index shifting. That being said nobody's going to get on your case. We just want participation.

I'm thinking it's cool to use modern grips, saddles, and tires. I'm unsure about pedals. do you guys think it should be cool to use clipless pedals? I might have trouble re-training my brain for platform pedals after all these years on clipless but i'll do what the community thinks is best in this regard. Platforms and construction boots are fine by me

[SIZE=3]EXTRA ACTIVITIES:[/SIZE]

The camping in this area is GORGEOUS and to top it off it's free! All of the vintage guys will all be camped together in the same giant and very quiet open field surrounded by tree's and big mountains. Our camp is also directly along side the cross country course. Three days with great people and great bikes (with a little debauchery) is going to make this very memorable.

Other than top notch riding you will have the Kern river which is about 1/4 mile away with lots of great fishing. Also Lake Isabella is about 1 mile away. The area has great hiking as well. The town of Lake Isabella is only about 3 miles away and they have all the amenities you could need.

The event will also be hosting a bicycle swap meet so be sure to pack your extra stuff out there and make a few bucks. Leave the purchasing to me though

[SIZE=3]PLANNED ACTIVITIES:[/SIZE]

On one or more of the evening we will be going to the Natural Hot springs. Three different hot tubs butted right up against the Kern River. It's very quiet and extremely peaceful and relaxing. Don’t let MWR sit too close---Rumfpy say's he's trouble

Saturday night we will be making the 45 minute drive up the scenic Kern River to get the best Fillet Mignon you've ever had!! Trust me on this one!

[SIZE=3]ALL THE LINKS YOU NEED:[/SIZE]

KEYESVILLE CLASSIC HOME PAGE:
    http://www.ssfta.com/keyesville.html

KEYESVILLE VINTAGE BIKE PAGE:
    http://www.ssfta.com/vintage-race.html

HISTORY OF THE KEYESVILLE MINING AREA:
    http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/ca/keysville.html

EVERYTHING THE KERN VALLEY OFFERS:
    http://www.kernvalley.net/recreate/valley/exvalleis.htm

[SIZE=4]
    Tell anybody you know about this. I'll try to get a few ol’ timing mountain bike legends to join us. Wouldn't that be fun! I'm going to work on the magazines this year to run an article as well.
    [/SIZE]

Last edited by Rumpfy; 03-19-2006 at 06:07 PM.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    An eight mile XC race? I may have to reconsider going. The shortest XC race I did "back in the day" was around 22 miles.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I don't like laps either unless they are more than 12-15 miles.
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by shiggy
    An eight mile XC race? I may have to reconsider going. The shortest XC race I did "back in the day" was around 22 miles.
    the people that went last year can tell you how difficult that 8 miles actually is. it's no walk in the park by any means. if you guys think that you want to do 2 laps next year just say the word. i'll hammer out two.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Last year was a fun event, and this year should be better. I'm in!!

As far as pedals go... I'm not sure that I can ride flat pedals off-road. It's been a long time since I've not had clipless in the drit.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

I don't like laps either unless they are more than 12-15 miles.
    after the first recorded lap pull of your number and do a few more. i might actually do a second lap myself. i'm actually still kicking around the idea of doing the 8 hour race. maybe you'll be interested in that. should be fun. at every lap you will ride directly alongside our camp.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    I might have to take a few "practice" rides with my toe flip equipped XC Compes and old Puma or Sidi cross shoes. Looking like a fun weekend.

Sorry, afraid I am out. Too far to travel for the event. Have fun without me.

May have to take the MB-1 to Sea Otter and ride it in the XC.
    mtbtires.com

mwr
    brain donor
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux
    As far as pedals go... I'm not sure that I can ride flat pedals off-road. It's been a long time since I've not had clipless in the drit.
    Wuss

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Sorry, afraid I am out. Too far to travel for the event. Have fun without me.

May have to take the MB-1 to Sea Otter and ride it in the XC.
    One monster drive from Oregon - $400 in gas.
    One entry fee for the vintage XC/DH race - $50
    One filet-mignon dinner - $65 (guessing here)
    Seeing veloculture, mwr, rumpfy and laffeaux all chummy in the hot springs - priceless!

Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    One monster drive from Oregon - $400 in gas.
    One entry fee for the vintage XC/DH race - $50
    One filet-mignon dinner - $65 (guessing here)
    Seeing veloculture, mwr, rumpfy and laffeaux all chummy in the hot springs - priceless!

going purely from my horribly memorry here. i think the 10 oz steak was about $15, the 15 oz steak was about $20, and the 20oz fillet mignon was about $25. really thats just a guess but i remember the prices being extremely affordable and they tasted far better than any $100 steak i've ever had.

mwr
    brain donor
    Quote Originally Posted by ssmike
    Dammit! To quote Ken, what happens in Keyesville stays in Keyesville.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Veloculture
    going purely from my horribly memorry here. i think the 10 oz steak was about $15, the 15 oz steak was about $20, and the 20oz fillet mignon was about $25. really thats just a guess but i remember the prices being extremely affordable and they tasted far better than any $100 steak i've ever had.
    I added in the bar tab.

VRC Illuminati
    Soooo very much looking forward to it.

I'm in for the 20+ vintage class!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    Hey Shig...how about another 3 or 4 posts about how the race is too short for you....or what racing formats you don't like...and how it's not worth your time going. That'd be great.

I know its a long trip down so I understand where you're coming from...but don't be a buzz kill.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Don’t let MWR sit too close---Rumfpy say's he's trouble
    As long as he's not sitting directly next to me.
    -eric-

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Soooo very much looking forward to it.

I'm in for the 20+ vintage class!
    I'm right there with you brotha! Now i need to choose which bike it'll be. it's a real honor to whatever bike i choose. the other bikes will surely be jealous.

VRC Illuminati
    I'm right there with you brotha! Now i need to choose which bike it'll be. it's a real honor to whatever bike i choose. the other bikes will surely be jealous.
    I wish I had that problem...but I've only got one to choose from! But it's an honorable bike.

-eric-

mtbr member
    Last year was a blast and this year is gonna be even better. Make sure you have working brakes cause the XC has some serious downhills I'll be on a Ritchey, not sure what vintage though

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    Last year was a blast and this year is gonna be even better. Make sure you have working brakes cause the XC has some serious downhills I'll be on a Ritchey, not sure what vintage though

You're doing the 20+ class and you know it!
    -eric-

i dont know R, you might just be on a 1986 Slingshot.

mtbr member
    I'll bring the cheese

VRC Illuminati
    I sure hope so! I think the Potts is more fitting...but we'll see.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Man I want to go so bad, what is the nearest airport? ... none of my bikes are really period correct though. They all have modern brakes.

Not a regular
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    Man I want to go so bad, what is the nearest airport? ... none of my bikes are really period correct though. They all have modern brakes.
    Bakersfield, CA

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast