mtbr member
    Nov 2008

2000 Klein Adroit Pro Headset question!

Repost from the Trek forum, since I got zero responses there...

I'm the second owner of a 2000 Klein Adroit Pro and have a question about the headset type. All specs sheets and service manuals that I could find (which is not many) indicate that the Adroit has an MC3 headset where the upper bearing is inserted from the bottom and does not use a starnut to preload the fork in the headset.

However, my Adroit has a 1-1/4" steerer Manitou Mars CL and uses a starnut and cap kinda like an Aheadset. Is this what is termed a MC3.1 where the upper bearing is pressfit from the top (not bottom)?

I ask because the Mars fork may be dead and I'm looking to replace with a Reset Racing headset and need to now if it's a MC3 or MC3.1.

Does anyone know of any Adroit variation like I'm referring to? How could I tell by looking at the headset/headtube whether the upper bearing goes in from the top or bottom?

Thanks,
    Tom

Carsten
    if it uses the starnut it's likely an MC3.1. just remove the stem and the conical top bearing cap and you will see the top bearing. if you can fully see the outer bearing cage it's the MC3.1. if the head tube has a "lip" at the upper end against which the bearing rests it's pressed in from the bottom and then it's the MC3.

if you have the MC3.1 you can use the Trek 1 1/8 reducers to mount a standard fork. the original bearings should last very long and that reducer kit is cheaper than the Reset bearings. and you can just press the reducers into the existing bearings instead of removing them and pressing in the Reset kit.

a pic of the kit and additional info

Klein MC3 Stem Question

the part numbers should be

200588 upper compression washer
    990795 upper reducer for 2000-2001 Adroit's
    990796 lower reducer/crown race

Carsten

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks for the info! I measured the OD of the upper bearing and it is 1.75" and I can see a metal ring on the outer edge (outer bearing cage I believe), so I'm pretty sure that is the MC3.1 variety. I'll check into the adapter pieces and let you guys know what I come up with.

I'm also open to repairing the Mars CL, so if anyone has one that I could use for parts, let me know!

Carsten
    sounds indeed like the MC3.1. the OD is 1.75" and on the MC3 you can only see a small part of the outer cage.

Carsten