mtbr member
    Sep 2013

1st Adroit History and some pics

So since somebody said you guys like pictures, I’ll throw afew out with some history and see how bad the beat down is.
    So way back in 1991 I was a fairly serious wanna-be in theMB scene. I was in the aerospace bolt industry and had great access tomachines, machinists and material. A buddy and I made lots of small titaniumbits for ourselves and our friends. As a result, I had become friends with theowners of a high end bike shop in town I lived in and talked them into gettingme passes to the Interbike show (it was in Anaheim back then) I was already part of the Klein faithful, havingbought an early Pinnacle (read understay “U” brake!) out of the Recycler in thelate 80’s.
    Anyway, hanging inthe Klein booth, was this beautiful Balloon forked Purple/Black frame. It was moreart than bicycle. Everything about it was cool sexy. Perfectly smoothed welds, giant frame tubes ,sealed bearing head set, pressed in bottom bracket, it was incredible. Clearlyit left a big impression on me. Not long after, that very frame set, miraculously appearedin my local shop. (Big Klein dealer) I drooled over it every time I came in(several times a week) and talked about it incisively to the owner. He wouldlaugh and say “You can own Adroit #1, just get out your wallet and its yours” ..
    Well it hung for a year or so. Everybody at the time was crazy for frontsuspension and the combination of super high cost, non-standard head set madethe beautiful Klein undesirable to most “serious” riders. Low and behold, Icame into some money and I promptly ran over and plunked down the cash! (Ithink it was $2250.00) and have owed it ever since. I built everything myself,from the lightest stuff I could find and afford. I was an original “weightweenie”. I milled out the centers on the clamps for the shifters and brakelevers. Scavenging unthreaded titanium 12 point bolt blanks to cut metricthreads on them and drilled every bit out that I could. It was great fun. But alas, It was small formy 6’2” 250+lbs body, So even though I love it, I didn’t ride it much.
    So the particulars are: 20” Klein Adroit In “Metallic Plum”,Bullseye cranks w Ti bolts, Ti Onza HO pedals, Bullseye hubs with custom Tiaxels , Mavic 231C, alloy nipples, Campagnolo (mostly)Alloy Super seven freewheel, XTR derailleurs, Suntour XC pro’s, Dia compSS-5 levers, Critical Racing brakes and skewers. Syncros Ti seat post and a Stella Italia flite seat, Old Cateye Mitty2 speedo! Lol
    1st Adroit History and some pics-img_1931.jpg1st Adroit History and some pics-img_1933.jpg1st Adroit History and some pics-img_1937.jpg1st Adroit History and some pics-img_1940.jpg1st Adroit History and some pics-img_1938.jpg

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Looks nice although neglected with semislicks and the downward pointing saddle. Pretty interesting story about the aerospace stuff. You'll find lots of guys here are serious modifiers. I envy you guys!

Frame is beautiful and looks great with some of the 3DV stuff. But personally, the pump and the lower bottle cage threw it just a tad over the top.

Great story and welcome to the forum!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Yea, back in the day I used to send a boat load of parts out for purple anodize (Boeing Skydrol parts) So I would just throw my stuff in with it! LOL
    Wait till you see my Cannondale tandem. LOL.

mtbr member
    I like the fixing bolts for the cantilevers. Do you put those on with an impact wrench?

As a weight weenie bike, I have to think you could drop a pound or two off that solid Bullseye ring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    That is great!
    Good back story.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    DOUBLE C,
    Yea... I did that many moons ago...cost me a chain ring! lol I was a little...overzealous with my reduction plan. Taco'd it climbing a steep single track! Just like my super lite All alloy freewheel. Put it all together, rode it down the street, turned around and went to sprint home, exploded the small lock ring, spun the cranks, went right over the bars.. yea that sucked.
    250(ISH)lbs + big legs = exploded parts! Like a cool radial laced, double butted, alloy nipple rear wheel I built.... once....

VRC Illuminati
    Cool bike and great back story!

I'm docking points for street slicks and saddle angle. You said you're a big tall dude, but there's not a lot of post showing either. Is that just for the photo?

And the big question is.....how much does it weigh!?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: 400mm American Classic seatpost, 26.8 & 27.2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adroit#1 View Post
    DOUBLE C,
    Yea... I did that many moons ago...cost me a chain ring! lol I was a little...overzealous with my reduction plan.
    That TA chainring with the small bolt pattern shouldn't be very confidence inspiring either. And those Bullseye chainrings don't really shift either in my experience.

That alloy freewheel is cool. Speaking of weight weenie, I'm curious if anyone has or has run a Hugi Alloy cogset before.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Lol you are a critical bunch! My son who is quite a bit shorted than I has been cruzing it on the local bike paths, hense the angle and height. The last time I weighed it (many years ago it was 19lbs 14oz
    That tiny chain ring is a hoot! I never complain about not having a low enough ratio
    I never had issues shifting, just have to overshift the lever a little and ease up on the power

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    That TA chainring with the small bolt pattern shouldn't be very confidence inspiring either. And those Bullseye chainrings don't really shift either in my experience.

That alloy freewheel is cool. Speaking of weight weenie, I'm curious if anyone has or has run a Hugi Alloy cogset before.

I ran the hugi cassette BITD....they didnt shift well and felt real soft when shifting...of course they wore out quick...I have 2 sets somewhere in my garage (one used one new)...hopefully I'll come across them again someday...

Cool story on the bike....I'm interested in the weight too...I'm still a weight weenie but tend to stay with stronger stuff just becasue of where I ride...I'm light enough to use the lightest components and not trash them too bad.

Retro Grouch
    Did you ever ride with the guys and girls from Laguna Beach (Tuesday nights) in and around Crystal Cove, El Moro Canyon, Newport, Irvine? Dean Bradley from Haro was leading the rides back then. Only time I ever saw so many Attitudes and Adroits. This was around 1990.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Nope I never got down that far south
    We we Ventura guys
    Thousand Oaks, Simi Valley etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by DoubleCentury View Post
    Buy American.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Blurry but you can see the purple and pearl

1st Adroit History and some pics-purple.jpg