mtbr member
    Jan 2009

1999 Schwinn Homegrown 4banger all mountain ??'s

A few questions about this bike, any help, opinions or facts would be really cool.

-I know these bikes are prone to crack near the swingarm mounts?? Is there any advise on how to prevent this (torque #'s) Also are all of these (4bangers) prone to crack or just certain years?

-Is it possible to replace the rear SID air shock? if so any suggestions?

-I have read these bikes have somewhat of a cult following! what is the value of this bike in really good condition?

Hey, and if you have ANY info and tips about this bike i would love to hear it. Thanks my friends.

Here is a link with info about the bike: http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...tain&Type=bike

Visitor
    "...my friends."

mtbr member
    Best way to avoid cracks on this type of frame is to hang it on the wall. As long as you don't drop it, it will remain in prestine condition. All other info you can find on ebay from other peoples listings.

horn doggie
    I had a 2000 4-Banger. I loved it. It was made of 7005 series alloy. And it was red. I swapped in a bunch of better suspension components (rear Straight-6 coil-over, Psylo coil w/ through axle). I really did love it.

But it cracked on the seat tube right where the tube makes an S- bend. In my case, I'm certain it was from the end of my (uncut, thank you very much) seat post banging against that spot when I dropped the saddle as far as it would go, which was just barely enough.. Had I actually cut the post down a couple inches, I think it would have lasted.

BTW - your link is dead, so not sure which of the frames offered in '99 you have.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts

Schipperkes are cool.
    You can send the rear shock to be overhauled by Hippie Tech Suspension in Idaho.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Search the Schwinn forum here, you will find the answers you are looking for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I have a red 2000 Schwinn 4-Banger that I just finished restoring and I love it! I put on a 2006 Fox Vanilla 125 RSC fork and a full XTR gruppo and it is an excellent all mountain bike. My frame shows no signs of cracking anywhere.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by scooderdude
    I had a 2000 4-Banger. I loved it. It was made of 7005 series alloy. And it was red. I swapped in a bunch of better suspension components (rear Straight-6 coil-over, Psylo coil w/ through axle). I really did love it.

But it cracked on the seat tube right where the tube makes an S- bend. In my case, I'm certain it was from the end of my (uncut, thank you very much) seat post banging against that spot when I dropped the saddle as far as it would go, which was just barely enough.. Had I actually cut the post down a couple inches, I think it would have lasted.

BTW - your link is dead, so not sure which of the frames offered in '99 you have.

How did you feel about the stink bugging brake jack? Did it bother you or no?

horn doggie
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed
    How did you feel about the stink bugging brake jack? Did it bother you or no?
    At first it was noticable, but after awhile I wouldn't notice it as my riding style adapted to it. I did ask the Brake Therapy guy back in 2000 if they were going to make a floater mount for the bike, and at the time the answer was "yes". But then the 4-banger/Straight-6 became history, and BT never brought a product to market.

I also owned the "Factory" version of the 4-Banger from 1999 with the two-tone blue/silver bassboat paint. It looked freaking cool, but I never did like the way it rode or my fit on it. The dimensions were different enough between the two to make it a less desirable bike.
    Wanted:

Potts, Potts, Potts