mtbr member
    Mar 2010

1997 GF Hoo Coo E Coo Frame Size Question

Hi,

I have a 1997 Gary Fisher Hoo Coo E Coo Medium size frame bike as listed on my origional receipt. I'm 6' Tall with a 32 inch inseam and this bike has always felt small to me. Measuring from the top of the seat tube to the center of the crank is exactly 18.5 inches.

I'm now looking for a new bike and was going to get a Large Frame GF hardtail of some kind which I believe should be 19 Inches. Just today I measured my frame and realized it was 18.5. Does GF measure their frames different? I expected to measure 17.5 from center of crank to top of seat post. I cant imaging I would need anything bigger then a large frame but if it's only 1/2 inch I cant see where its going to make a big difference.

Thanks in advance for any help.

the new Gilbert Grape
    At 6'0" a medium is likely small for you.

As far as sizing goes, the length of the seat tube (what you're measuring) is about the least useful measurement on a bike. And unfortunately it's what is used to designated frame sizes. A larger frame will have a longer top tube, and a higher front end. A larger frame is larger everywhere.

Seat tube length is largely determined by how much slope the top tube has. If the top tube is parallel to the ground, the seat tube is long. If the top tube slopes downward steeply, the seat tube will be short. One frame may measure at 21" and the other at 16" but the frames fit the same size person.

The "small," "medium," and "large" designations are better (IMO) because it's a lot less confusing explaining how to bikes that are different sizes are the actually the same size. Or worse yet, explaining to someone that a 17" frame is larger than a 20" frame.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    You really need to start from scratch as frame design is different now, but I'll bet a 2011 size LG Hoo Koo E Koo is likely the best size for you.

I think your old bike should measure 16.75 from centre of crank to centre of top tube where it attaches to seat tube. It should have a top tube (horizontal equivalent) of 22.4 and a head tube of 4.1. If you had bought a 1997 L, it would measure 18.5, 23.0 and 4.9 respectively. I would have said that 23.0 / 4.9 was the right kind of size for a height of 6-0, and 22.4 / 4.1 was a bit on the small side for you, so I'm not surprised by what you say.

Things are different now as top tubes are longer to compensate for stems being much shorter (a trend that Gary Fisher was instrumental in starting a year or two after 97), but I still think their modern LG sounds as though it is probably right for you.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    You won't be able to buy a 2011 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, but you might find something you like in Trek's 2011 Gary Fisher collection.

5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyinhove
    You really need to start from scratch as frame design is different now, but I'll bet a 2011 size LG Hoo Koo E Koo is likely the best size for you.

I think your old bike should measure 16.75 from centre of crank to centre of top tube where it attaches to seat tube. It should have a top tube (horizontal equivalent) of 22.4 and a head tube of 4.1. If you had bought a 1997 L, it would measure 18.5, 23.0 and 4.9 respectively. I would have said that 23.0 / 4.9 was the right kind of size for a height of 6-0, and 22.4 / 4.1 was a bit on the small side for you, so I'm not surprised by what you say.

Things are different now as top tubes are longer to compensate for stems being much shorter (a trend that Gary Fisher was instrumental in starting a year or two after 97), but I still think their modern LG sounds as though it is probably right for you.

THANKS!! This is exactly what I need. I wanted to verify exactly what I have now vs what a L frame bike would be.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    You won't be able to buy a 2011 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, but you might find something you like in Trek's 2011 Gary Fisher collection.

Not really looking for a new Bike. I want to get a used 26" bike that fits me right just to beat around on till I have enough seaved up for a nice 29er.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    he meant something different.
    Wanted: WTB rollercams and brake bridges

FriendlyNeighborhoodMTBer
    I had a 96 HooKooEKoo in the same size and I am the same height and inseam as you. I tried the next larger size and it was too big. I had some fun times with that bike.
    These days, I ride a Large. Mostly 19s and 20s.
    If you can't play, display.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott260
    THANKS!! This is exactly what I need. I wanted to verify exactly what I have now vs what a L frame bike would be.

This is exactly what my bike measures? Where did you find these dimensions?

Thanks again!