mtbr member
    Oct 2009

1996 Rock Shox Judy DH help

Are there any OTHER elastomers in this fork other than the stack that are in the upper stanchions?

When I pull the elastomer stack out, I can see something that looks like a pale colored plastic washer about 7" down inside each leg. I need to know what else is in there below those washer things, but I have no manual for the fork and whenever someone posts a link for an online manual, I can't get it to download. I know that one leg has the cartridge, but that's about it.

I'm planning to order a spring kit for the fork, and the springs are for the upper stack only. If there are ANY other elastomers lower in the fork I need some suggestions on replacing those with springs as well.
    PoisonDogFart

I Have Cookies
    try loosening the screw that holds in the cartriges in most of the way out and give them a tap with a mallett and the whole thing should come apart.
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ae111black
    try loosening the screw that holds in the cartriges in most of the way out and give them a tap with a mallett and the whole thing should come apart.
    Yes, I've already done that, but it's just the bottom ends of the stanchions exposed then.
    Looks like a snap ring needs to be removed to pull out the cartridge, but I don't need to since the cartridge is fine. Just wondering if there is anything more under those plasic washer things I need to know about.
    PoisonDogFart

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by blumarvel
    Yes, I've already done that, but it's just the bottom ends of the stanchions exposed then.
    Looks like a snap ring needs to be removed to pull out the cartridge, but I don't need to since the cartridge is fine. Just wondering if there is anything more under those plasic washer things I need to know about.
    Wait a minute..... There are TWO cartridges???
    PoisonDogFart

"Casual Rider"
    There is a dummy aluminum slider and spacers that sit in the leg where the damper is on the other side. They came in different lengths pending the fork's travel & should match the length of the damper cartridge.
    Rule #5 almost always applies!

banned
    Wait a minute..... There are TWO cartridges???
    Some of those DH's had a rebound cartridge and a compression cartridge. Not sure which years though. If yours has the compression cartridge your better off draining it because it's too stiff. I could never get all of the travel out of mine back in the day!!!

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks for the info so far. I stuck a coat hanger through the hole in the center of those plastic washer looking things. It turns out that they are not washers. They are solid cilinders that are several inches long, apparently just to take up space, so I'm pretty sure the only elastomers in the fork are in the uppers. I went ahead and ordered the springs.

I never realized that ANY of the Judys had a cartridge in both legs. That's a suprize to me!
    I'll have to investigate mine further to see if this is the case with them.
    PoisonDogFart

IllumaDucati
    The man that can answer your questions and rebuild your vintage forks can be found at Hippie-Tech Suspension.

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelovesDirt
    Some of those DH's had a rebound cartridge and a compression cartridge. Not sure which years though. If yours has the compression cartridge your better off draining it because it's too stiff. I could never get all of the travel out of mine back in the day!!!
    Same with me... I accually pulled the rebound cart out and replaced with an White Bros cartridge and lowered the travel to 3" that was the best thing I ever did to that thing!!!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

nobody
    Thanks for the info so far. I stuck a coat hanger through the hole in the center of those plastic washer looking things. It turns out that they are not washers. They are solid cilinders that are several inches long, apparently just to take up space, so I'm pretty sure the only elastomers in the fork are in the uppers. I went ahead and ordered the springs.

I never realized that ANY of the Judys had a cartridge in both legs. That's a suprize to me!
    I'll have to investigate mine further to see if this is the case with them.
    The elastomers you took out are the only ones that were in there. I believe both legs of the 96 DHs had oil cartridges (one compression, one rebound).
    I'm what Willis was talkin' about

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wookalar
    The elastomers you took out are the only ones that were in there. I believe both legs of the 96 DHs had oil cartridges (one compression, one rebound).
    Do you people actually read the whole thread before answering?
    NO SHIRT
    NO SHOES
    NO DICE

I Have Cookies
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff spicoli
    Do you people actually read the whole thread before answering?
    I've asked that my self before.......

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Thanks all! Useful info. I think I got it covered now.
    PoisonDogFart