mtbr member
    Apr 2010

1996 Judy SL to DH rebuild

I am looking to rebuild my 1996 Judy SL fork. I would love to find a set of Arlo Englund cartridges for it, but best I can tell they are no more. I do have access to a 96 Judy DH fork that is in mint condition. Is it possible to gut the internals from the DH and install into the SL? I have looked at manuals online and as far as I can tell the lowers are identical with the dummy leg in SLs. My assumption is that I could swap internals and have an 80mm combo fork. Are the 2 dampers in the DH the same? I was thinking I could double up on the Risse gem cartridges that appear to be available. I am looking to pull together the nicest fork I can on a bike where the fork will not come off. It is a sweet 96 Klein Adroit that fits me perfectly and the only fork removal technique that seems to be effective is using a propane torch to heat loctite for removal. The other recommendation I keep getting is to sell it on Ebay to a collector. No thanks. I am just looing to pull together the best kit I can for this fork.

I am not opposed to running the red legs on my Klein if it would be as simple as a direct swap. I am assuming that the transfer of internals is the way to go.

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    I guess it would probably work, I know my SL was a long-travel 80mm version when I got it and I converted it down to 63mm by changing the damper and guide rods, can't see why it wouldn't work the other way - just try it, It doesn't take long to strip those forks and I think all the tools you need are a circlip plier, an 8mm hex key and a (7/8"?) socket to remove the leg top caps.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I installed this kit into a 1996 Judy XC. It works well and was pretty simple to install.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Damper-Kit-Steel...item20b16e730d

What could go wrong ...
    I got one of those kits from mr wings on ebay and the plastic end broke off the first time i pushed down on the fork ... I contacted him about a replacement and he said no prob ... I am still waiting for the part a year later
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

I Have Cookies
    Did it back in '97 with a white bro's 80mm kit along with their springs, it was the best thing I ever did to a for my XC!
    The most important thing is what God thinks about it. He will have the final say. Joshua Stinebrink

____
    Kimo

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hi, do you still have the judy dh bottom cuz if you do I would like to buy it.

hello pot? this is kettle
    Instead of dredging up an old thread to ask the OP about a part they had a year ago while not actually adding to the thread this would be a *perfect* time to use the Private Message function.