Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1996 chromoly Stumpjumper fork replacement?

8K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  MichaelinOsaka 
#1 ·
Does anyone know where I can get a replacement rigid fork? Or can anyone tell me what the axle to crown distance is so I can get a comparable fork?.

#4 ·
How did you know that? Brochure, your own measurement, common knowledge? I hope it's a 43mm rake because 45 rakes seem common, and it'd only be off by 2mm which I don't think I'd notice. Getting something exactly at 405 seems pretty challenging too. For example, I'm finding:

Surly 1x1 - Rake: 45 mm, 413mm axle to crown. Weight 1030g.
Nashbar carbon fork - 385mm axle-to-crown height which they say "is just right for bikes that originally came with ridgid forks, or forks with less than 80mm" - seems kind of low to me
Kona P2 fork - 440a-c . Seems pretty high to me, maybe for a 100mm suspension fork replacement. Weight 1040g.
And possibly the creme de la creme for budget forks: Exotic (carboncycles.cc) Length 42.5cm, Offset/Rake 42mm. 830g

Which one would you recommend? Now I wish I had kept my original Specialized rigid fork and tried to fix it instead of tossing it. I'm currently running with a 1997ish Manitou SX which is OK, just heavy at 3.8 pounds.

I was leaning towards the Exotic but 20mm may be too big of a difference??? Maybe having it tall by 20mm (Exotic) is better than being low by 20mm?

#8 · (Edited)
I found a bike hanging in the LBS for repair that had the original fork and then found a guy selling NOS specialized forks on ebay and picked his lightest Direct Drive fork that had the correct A-C measurement. By how the bike handles I would say I got the right fork. I have the fork off for repaint so I can see if I can get the rake for you . BTW mine is a 95 frame but they are the same as far as I know. There are lots of these forks around as most went to suspension and pulled the rigids off.
</a>

#18 ·
OK, thanks.

Now back to the thread... I also found another option. Trigon looks like the maker of the Ritchey WCS carbon MTB fork, but for less money. The Trigon fork is curved and lighter (~500g) than the eXotic fork. It looks more like a traditional curved, bladed road fork whereas the eXotic fork looks like a suspension fork except without the travel. It has an A to C measurement of something like 410-415mm, which seems good. The worst part about this fork for the 96 stumpjumper application may be the rake which seems huge at 48mm. That should make for some quick lively (maybe unstable?) steering???

Will the beefy round eXotic fork be stiffer/stronger than the bladed Trigon (looks more like the original stumpy rigid fork); while the Trigon fork may be more flexy, better absorbing of shocks, but has less margin in terms of strength on off-road big bumps?

Any thoughts? Is it sacrilege to put a modern fork on a classic?

#21 ·
Actually, I'd like to get the fork to be a part of a high performance machine. I know I may be asking a lot for a 1996 bike, but I wonder how badly I would be disadvantaged in a cyclocross race, which is something I'd like to try this season. I may at the end be 2 to 3 pounds heavier than the typical cyclocross bike with smaller wheels and less aero handlebar position. But I think it may do OK with the proper setup. I've switched out to V brakes already. I've got a lighter seatpost and saddle in mind. I've picked out some 26 X 1.35 CX tires. And I've upgraded the engine a lot lately :) I think it'd be a sight to see this retro bike with some modern upgrades out there "competing" (hopefully) in the sea of carbon skinny bikes. I'm also keeping my old components to switch back to after CX season.

#23 ·
It is a type of fork. I don't want to dissuade you from getting one but you obviously are looking for the cheapest option and when they are found or made, they aren't cheap. If I were you, I would look for the original. Like somebody said already, they are around and probably in abundance in people's parts bin when they went to suspension which was quite often in that mid 90's era.

Here is a cool thread on a 26" vintage bike as a cx bike: http://forums.mtbr.com/vintage-retro-classic/cross-attitude-818448.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.