mtbr member
    Jun 2008

1996 or 1997? Ventana El Habanero Vintage Build Day 1

Hello,

Took quite a hiatus for the site but I'm back. I did a lot documenting and commenting under the user review sections of MTBR under aa240sx, but I think even when I left, the forums part was only in its infancy.

Anyway, what better way to return to the scene that a vintage build. I chose my project as a 1996 or 1997 Ventana El Habanero. You'll see from the pictures that it's in really good condition with no dings and only minor scratches and a ton of oxidization. I'll update with my progress but just wanted to give props to the forum for giving me a push in the right direction in terms of polishing the aluminum and refinishing it, to removing the headset to other random bits of information. Anyway, here's the breakdown of how this 'vintage build' will go:

Front Wheel Mavic SUP ATAK Hub
    Rear Wheel Sun Rhyno
    Tires WTB Velociraptors
    Ventana El Habanero 20"
    Shimano XT 9 speed D
    Suntour XC Cranks
    Shimano XT 9 speed front D
    Shimano XT 9 speed cog
    Shimano XT v-brakes
    Fox Alps 5R Rear Shock 6.5 eye 2 eye
    Manitou SX with Microlube port Red
    Cane Creek C-1 headset
    Control Tech 120mm 0 rise stem
    Shimano XT 9 speed shifters
    Forte Brake Levers F/R
    Azonic Flat Bar
    GT Seatpost
    Trek Seat
    Generic Seatpost
    ATI grips

Yes, I know. Not exactly a vintage build, but a lot of this is based on my current parts box. As I complete the resto, I will also be seeking out period specific parts and at the time of this write-up I'm considering raiding my wife's bone stock 1998 Specialized Stumpjumper Pro for parts (contains a full Shimano XT group).

I can't wait to get the aluminum shiny!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by aa240sx; 06-30-2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: delete picture showing car's license plate

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Updated! Finished Ventana

Hello,

Just completed the polishing and thought you might want to see how it turned out. For now, I'm keeping the stock stickers to keep things orginal. I've already started the re-build and want to wait til I have a completed tested biked before I post next.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Damn...nice work! Seriously that thing looks brand new!

R/
    D

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Id love to see the finished product. I have just got myself the exact frame.

No known cure
    Notice that the main frame's swingarm pivot is in nearly the same position as the new 2012 generation's pivot location.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

Front Range, Colorado
    WOW! Very nice! Looks to be right off the showroom floor.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Thanks fellas, but this bike ended up selling over the summer. I have a pic of the finished product though and will up it when I get a chance. Funny enough, I ended up using the money to buy a Ventana Marble Peak (green custom color) 96/97 frame.

I'm actually after a 29er F/S Ventana currently.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I need to a set of forks for my El Hadenero. This is my 1st build and I have no idea. The bike right now has a ugly set of Marzocchi mr.t bombers. What size Steerer will I require 1' or 1'1/8" and steer length ? Fits best to El Hadenero. I was thinking of using a rock shox Judy but I do like the red ones you have there. Can you give any information about the manitou Sx

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Hi, I have the same size ventana they you did up. I have been able to find some rock shox judy's but I need some advise in regards to the steer tube diameter and length required. I'm 99% sure the diameter is 1'1/8" but I want to make sure I have the minimum steering stem tube length required to fit a handle bar stem. Any advice on what you did would be great

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Here's the pics of the completed bike. I used what spare parts I had to do the build, so I wouldn't call it a true restoration since it has a broad mix of late model parts like the Manitou front fork with disc tabs, and WTB disc wheels. However, it is XT 8 speed, XTR rapid rise rear derailleur with XT cranks and I am using V-brakes(though I think in 95 these were running 7 and canti's back in the day?). OH and incase you're wondering, that's a 27.2mm Snafu Seatpost, BMX 4eva!.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
    That's a Risse rear shock.
    Last edited by aa240sx; 12-15-2011 at 03:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Nice Ventana