Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

1995 Trek 970 Build

I just finished building my 1995 Trek 970. My goal was to build a nice steel bike that was fairly light but also not too expensive. The bike ended up at 27.25 lbs as shown. I haven't calculated up the exact cost but it is around $800. I did not try to outfit it with strictly original or exact time period hardware, but I did look for interesting parts that would work.

A few of the off-the-beaten-path parts are the XT 3 finger Trekking brake levers, Trek Icon flat handlebar, and Mt. Titan rims (may replace them with 217's) to Deore DX hubs. I went with a 2002 80mm Marzocchi Atom Race fork, Cane Creek headset, XT 750 FD and XTR 960 RD (rapid rise). The more typical stuff are the MG-1 pedals, Cat Eye cages and WTB seat. The finishing touch is the Bablolat Skin Feel tennis racquet grip on the chain stay. The bike is set up as a 2 x 7 with a 24/34 to a 13-34 cassette.

All in all Iím pretty pleased with the outcome. I still need to tweak a few things and I took these pictures before getting it out in the dirt.

Last edited by 70sSanO; 01-01-2014 at 07:31 PM.

artistic...
    It should ride better than it looks.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    I think it looks great! Kind of a hodgepodge of parts, but still pretty sweet!

mtbr member
    I love it! GREAT bike. Solid and very ridable.

FKA Malibu412

The 970 was a pretty decent steel frame. Looks great!
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies. It was a really fun build. I can't wait to get it on the trails. I was looking for good handling bike that could climb but still had some stability. I think it hit the mark.

mtbr member

Mavic 217 Sunsets...

Well I tried to tweak the SD-7 brakes and used various brake pads with the Mt Titan rims but I just couldn't get them to work well enough. But it is a blessing in disguise because it got me off my rear end to take apart the wheels from my GT; XTR 950 hubs and well cupped 217's and build up a set with a pair of very good condition 217 Sunsets to the 950 hubs. This was the original plan but I was just lazy.

I just finished building up the wheels with 1.8 in front and 2.0/1.8/2.0 in the rear. I'm not a fan of used spokes and rims but they are in good shape and it only cost me some aluminum spoke nipples. The set weighs in a 1635 grams. And they do look sweet on the Trek.

I put the Deore DX/Mt. Titan wheels on the GT and with cheapo Clarks standard cantilever brake pads they work pretty good. The Mt. Titan rim sidewalls are so shallow and the rims are so narrow that I needed a narrow brake pad. I took the GT out yesterday and it rides fine with the wheels... and it stops so all is good.

John

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Great job. FYI that fork will take a 27.5 and the rear end should too.

VRC Illuminati
    $800 for a 27.25lb Trek!? Ouch. If the goal was a fun, do-it-yourself project, then it came out great. But if you were trying to get a light(ish) weight, cost effective bike...then I'm not sure you hit that mark.

You can get a whole lot of bike for $800.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    I agree that there are a lot of bikes out there that can be had for $800.

Since I paid about $120 for the Trek 970 frame shipped, that leaves $680 in parts, probably closer to $750 if I add the XTR wheelset difference. By parts I mean all of the parts including the chain, rings, cables, housings, tires, tubes, etc. Most of those parts are new or NOS. So it is a matter of adding a frame.

As for weight, 27.25 is not too bad for a steel frame (4.7 lbs/2129 weighed) with a Bomber fork, MG-1 pedals, JIS crank, 400 gram cassette, and 700 gram tires.

I know the Soma Groove comes in at 4 lbs and I would think a VooDoo steel frame may be lighter, but with the same mix of parts there are not too many $100-$200 frames that will get down to 25 lbs.

But you are absolutely right. I could have gotten an awful lot of "used" bike for $800-$900. I guess the original goal was a fun do-it-yourself build and use most of the parts parts off the my '93 GT to keep it on the cheap. When I decided to do a complete build, the costs just started growing.

John

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I agree that there are a lot of bikes out there that can be had for $800.

Since I paid about $120 for the Trek 970 frame shipped, that leaves $680 in parts, probably closer to $750 if I add the XTR wheelset difference. By parts I mean all of the parts including the chain, rings, cables, housings, tires, tubes, etc. Most of those parts are new or NOS. So it is a matter of adding a frame.

As for weight, 27.25 is not too bad for a steel frame (4.7 lbs/2129 weighed) with a Bomber fork, MG-1 pedals, JIS crank, 400 gram cassette, and 700 gram tires.

I know the Soma Groove comes in at 4 lbs and I would think a VooDoo steel frame may be lighter, but with the same mix of parts there are not too many $100-$200 frames that will get down to 25 lbs.

But you are absolutely right. I could have gotten an awful lot of "used" bike for $800-$900. I guess the original goal was a fun do-it-yourself build and use most of the parts parts off the my '93 GT to keep it on the cheap. When I decided to do a complete build, the costs just started growing.

John
    Understand , big R has history of piling on any trek posted here, and when you get tired of it your 970 you still have a $680.00 of parts you can move around. No harm-no foul here. I am not sure why Rumpy even clicks on a Trek thread , as you can guarantee the remarks will be derogatory.

mtbr member
    I appreciate the support. I'm not offended by Rumpfy's comments. He made a good point. Besides I'm new here and also to mountain biking, so I have no history with the sport. I've ridden road bikes off and on for a long time and still ride my '86 Cannondale with a Brooks saddle and retrofriction downtube shifters. I also have an '88 Criterium.

About 6 months ago a neighbor was trying to get rid of an old '93 steel GT and after getting it back and running I've been having a blast riding in the dirt. I knew that I would need to replace the old Mag 21 fork with a 1" steering tube some day and possibly the whole frame so I decided to get going on the replacement. After going through tons on reviews and specs, I had a short list of steel frame bikes to look for; I liked the ride of the steel GT. The Trek 970/990 frame (mine is stamped 990 on the bottom of the BB shell) seemed to be one of the best choices for me.

John

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Smedley View Post
    Understand , big R has history of piling on any trek posted here, and when you get tired of it your 970 you still have a $680.00 of parts you can move around. No harm-no foul here. I am not sure why Rumpy even clicks on a Trek thread , as you can guarantee the remarks will be derogatory.
    My comments weren't derogatory. I didn't say his bike was ugly or sucked. Eat a dick Fred.

Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    I appreciate the support. I'm not offended by Rumpfy's comments. He made a good point.
    Nice to see someone who isn't a sensitive sally. Thick skin, something not a lot of people have around here. Looks like accomplished what you set out to do, kudos to that. Smart drive train set up and those Bomber forks are pretty plush. I run those same grips myself. Very comfy. Enjoy!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    My comments weren't derogatory. I didn't say his bike was ugly or sucked. Eat a dick Fred.
    LOL , not my flavor , try again.

artistic...
    you can always cut the down tube. attach a brake cable in place and call it a slingshot.. That could save 1/2 pound. I guess..

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    you can always cut the down tube. attach a brake cable in place and call it a slingshot.. That could save 1/2 pound. I guess..
    I doubt the weight is accurate. My 98 930 was 26lbs with a Z2, he can save 1/2 lb by losing the Velorapter.

artistic...
    I doubt the weight is accurate. My 98 930 was 26lbs with a Z2, he can save 1/2 lb by losing the Velorapter.
    4.7 lbs for an 18in frame is a bit on the heavy side. HIgh end steel would be around 4lbs.

How the builder shaves that .7 lbs makes for a compliant lively frame or a bad handling noodle of a bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    4.7 lbs for an 18in frame is a bit on the heavy side. HIgh end steel would be around 4lbs.

How the builder shaves that .7 lbs makes for a compliant lively frame or a bad handling noodle of a bike.
    Seems a reasonable weight given a lugged Prestige MB1 weighs in at 4.9lbs http://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/...oneMB11987.pdf

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Whoa Nelly! Good for the OP for sticking it out!

Fred is absolutely right. It's not money wasted in that you can just move everything over to something else. Great basic frame to get you where you want to go. I'm so glad you're having so much fun with it! Those Trek rims are very nice. I had a pair and thought they were well made but you're right...not as much room as Mavic ones.

Great job and happy trails.

artistic...
    Seems a reasonable weight given a lugged Prestige MB1 weighs in at 4.9lbs http://sheldonbrown.com/bridgestone/...oneMB11987.pdf
    That MB1 is heavy.. A Ritchey P series weighs 3.7 lbs. A Bonty Race Lite is 4lbs and so were Fat Chances, IFs , Ibis..

FKA Malibu412
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    $800 for a 27.25lb Trek!? Ouch.

You can get a whole lot of bike for $800.
    I'm gonna stay in the "I think you're an idiot" camp. Walk into any bike store in the land with $800 and see how many sub-27lbs bikes you can take home. Report back. We want to know.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    You can't buy an American made, lugged, steel framed bike in any bike store for anywhere near $800.00. Not even close. At that price point you will at best find a Taiwan made, hydroformed aluminum bike with low end components and a heavy "suspension" fork, especially if the bike has the Trek logo on it. This is better.

You did well with this build. Great job sir.

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the responses. A lot of good points. In the end I guess it all comes down to how well I like it and as soon as the Kool Stops arrive I'll see how she rides.

I did send the pics to the person who sold the frame. He had bought 2 of them when they were new. He rode one and stripped the parts off the other and set the frame aside. He was really stoked out how the bike turned out and as anyone who has lugged anything around for 20 years, he was pleased that his old Trek frame found a good home.

Probably a sad aspect of this is that Trek was probably one of the last US "production" manufacturers to make steel frame bikes and that most of the true pioneers in the sport that had started in barns and garages had long since closed their doors. While steel framed bikes are still available you would hard pressed to find a new one sitting in your LBS.

Everyone have a great weekend!

John

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I dig vintage Treks, and I like this one a lot. I was recently eyeing up a 970 frame on ebay myself. May have to break down and do it someday.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice bike SanO.. At one point at had a few of those mid 90's OX3 970's as well. I rode them a lot and liked. The top tube/ head tube gusset was unique. Oddly enough, tho,
    that frame was the only frame I ever managed to crack. Where?? At the Downtube/ head tube junction. Had the frame repaired and they put in a gusset at the spot that let go. Rode it for prolly another summer before selling the bike. It sold quick

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast