mtbr member
    Oct 2015

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation

Hello Folks,

Although I thought I was finished with any new projects this year, circumstances changed and presented me with another project, one that is likely to be a bit over my head, but that's how you learn right and lighten your wallet.

OK, a bit about it, though I think some of you might already know this frame.

Currently in the build line
    -15" 1995 WTB Phoenix SE (not touching the frame), purchased from a friend in need up in Novato and many thanks to him.
    -WTB Toggle Cam brake in the back (a bit of it was made by the late Mark Slate)
    -WTB brake boosters undrilled
    -American made WTB speedmaster canti in the front
    -WTB NP hubs (rear 140mm) with black speedmaster rims (to be built with the meticulous skills of a certain Lee)
    -WTB stem, though this may be put in the classifieds as I intend to build it as a dirt-drop
    -White Industries Ti bars (also will be for sale/trade)
    -Thompson post

I will initially build it up with the current stem/bar combo and enjoy it on the trails while I await getting RM-2s and a nice high-rise stem (Salsa P10 anyone?) or go with Velo Orange?

What I'm in search of and could use assistance with
    -WTB RM-2s
    -Nice high-rise stem or similar (up for trade would be the WTB stem +/- cash)
    -White Industries Ti BB
    -Shimano M900 drive train (shouldn't have too much trouble)
    -A nice sus corrected fork (I have an ugly/heavy Surly one, but this deserves better. Can't truly afford a new Type II, but maybe I'll save and splurge. How badly would a Bontrager no-corrected fork change the geometry/ride?

Questions
    -I haven't seen many Phoenix(s) built as dirt-drop bikes, is there a reason for this? Any input or experience on the ride? I am really digging the feel of my Salsa dirt-drop, in fact it's making the other bikes in my modest collection jealous.
    -I think the 15" will be fine size-wise, I like to say I'm 6', but the reality is 5'11" with a 31.5" in-seam. Did it fit the previous owner (a certain Rumpfy?).

Any input would be appreciated be it positive, negative or snarky. Looking forward to getting started and getting it into the rotation, maybe I'll have it ready for the Old Cabin classic!

pics

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p1.jpg

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p2.jpg

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p3.jpg

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p4.jpg

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p5.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Claus View Post

Any input would be appreciated be it positive, negative or snarky. Looking forward to getting started and getting it into the rotation, maybe I'll have it ready for the Old Cabin classic!
    1) As much as I'd like to find a way to acquire that stem from you, my advice would to be to hang onto it, for when you decide that you don't want another dirt-drop bike, and start cursing yourself for getting rid of something you'll never, ever find again.

2) I think you might find a set of powerbeam rims on a certain auction site, to go with those hubs.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Regarding fork options, I detailed my effort to get a decent, rim-brake compatible suspension fork for my '95 in this thread:

Reducing Fork Travel - Any threads out and about?

FYI, un-sagged a-c on that fork (which rides properly to my mind) is around 17 1/2", while a non suspension-corrected bontrager comp fork is around 15 1/4". That's a lot of difference. A suspension-corrected bontrager fork from the '95 era falls half way between, but those are harder to find than a Type II.
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

velocipede technician
    Might as well throw your wallet in the fire right now

A lot of "new" phoeni getting ready to roll out locally
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hmm, IAK agreed, I'm waiting on measurements on a IRD fork that might work. I make my own coffee, and eat my young and might use my savings towards a Potts made for this bike. The Bonty sus corrected forks are ghosts.

Hollister, I know the wallet might lighten the heating bill.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Oh and what do you mean by a bunch of phoinix(s) on the market?

The stem is still on the table for trade/sale, but I agree I might regret it.

I have at the least a NOS NP front hub and bar for sale.

Still looking for Phoenix dirt drop ride reviews.

Dig it

velocipede technician

Still looking for Phoenix dirt drop ride reviews.

Dig it
    As soon as I'm finished I'll let you know

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Hmm, IAK agreed, I'm waiting on measurements on a IRD fork that might work. I make my own coffee, and eat my young and might use my savings towards a Potts made for this bike. The Bonty sus corrected forks are ghosts.

Hollister, I know the wallet might lighten the heating bill.
    I had the IRD suspension fork the first or second year they came out, put it on my '91 Procaliber. That thing can be modified in any number of ways and it has such little travel too, I miss that.

Can't wait to see the complete build, and as always I am envious.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Hello Folks,

Although I thought I was finished with any new projects this year, circumstances changed and presented me with another project, one that is likely to be a bit over my head, but that's how you learn right and lighten your wallet.

-15" 1995 WTB Phoenix SE (not touching the frame), purchased from a friend in need up in Novato and many thanks to him.
    -WTB NP hubs (rear 140mm) with black speedmaster rims (to be built with the meticulous skills of a certain Lee)
    -WTB stem, though this may be put in the classifieds as I intend to build it as a dirt-drop
    -Thompson post

I will initially build it up with the current stem/bar combo and enjoy it on the trails while I await getting RM-2s and a nice high-rise stem (Salsa P10 anyone?) or go with Velo Orange?

-WTB RM-2s
    -White Industries Ti BB
    -A nice sus corrected fork (I have an ugly/heavy Surly one, but this deserves better. Can't truly afford a new Type II, but maybe I'll save and splurge. How badly would a Bontrager no-corrected fork change the geometry/ride?

Questions
    -I haven't seen many Phoenix(s) built as dirt-drop bikes, is there a reason for this? Any input or experience on the ride? I am really digging the feel of my Salsa dirt-drop, in fact it's making the other bikes in my modest collection jealous.
    -I think the 15" will be fine size-wise, I like to say I'm 6', but the reality is 5'11" with a 31.5" in-seam. Did it fit the previous owner (a certain Rumpfy?).

pics

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	1119080

Name:	P2.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	1119081

Name:	P3.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	89.4 KB 
ID:	1119082

Name:	P4.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	1119084

Name:	P5.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	96.0 KB 
ID:	1119085
    Seeing your parts spread is cruel and unusual punishment! Drool is all over the keyboard now!
    The Truth will set you free.

....but it might offend you first!

mtbr member
    It might take a bit longer, but I would wait for the appropriate Shimano m910 bits (1995 model year) for this build -rear derailleur, brifters, m900 crankset with ti crank bolts for accuracy.

Aren't the White industries bars about 3 years to young for that build? If your WTB stem were shorter, I'd be hitting you up for that.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Hey PT, I'm a neophyte, my spread is pretty weak, but I'll make the build interesting, and yah I'm not a $1million dollar man, just a humble public servant. But I ride. Stem will likely be velo orange, until I sell my Verizon stock when they decide to unload that turd yahoo dinasour. Chaos rules and ride to stay sane. Cheers

velocipede technician
    White brothers bars

VRC Illuminati
    Hello Folks,

-Thompson post

-WTB RM-2s
    -White Industries Ti BB

Questions

pics
    I say it a lot, but for me, the WTB Phoenix is one of the best riding bikes I've ever owned. You won't regret this project at all, I promise. Lee will tell you it's not as good as a Yo Eddy, don't listen to him.

- Yes, I owned the bike for a short while before selling it to K.A. It was potentially a back up to my 95 Phoenix which is the same as yours (originally dark green, SE, 140 rear spacing, suspension corrected).
    - Don't be afraid to run it as a flat bar bike or with suspension. It will give any modern hardtail a run for it's money.
    - A tuned Judy or early Z1 Bomber fork are two good suspension fork options if you need the cable hanger up front. If you do V-brake or road disk brakes, you have more fork options (SID, knocked down travel on a Fox or similar).
    - Mind those all red WTB Gripmaster pads. They're designed to break in rims, not run full time.
    - Bevel the edges of the WTB chain stay guard and use heat when applying for best results. They're old, so you might need to find additional 3M adhesive.
    - Set up correctly, the WTB Toggle Cam will be the best feeling brake you've ever used.
    - Mark Slate is alive and well.
    - See you at the Old Cabin Classic.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

VRC Illuminati
    Stem will likely be velo orange, until I sell my Verizon stock when they decide to unload that turd yahoo dinasour.
    Easy there bucko, some of us are an employee of that turd dinosaur.

Oh and what do you mean by a bunch of phoinix(s) on the market?
    The three greatest Phoenixes other than Charlie's personal Phoenix are local and inching their way towards public appearance.

-eric-

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for the info ER, I will initially use the WTB stem and White Brothers bar (duh the name is right there, but thanks H, they feel nice at 24" wide), but will still build up a dirt drop cockpit to swap in/out. Hmm so some top notch Phoeni are set to take flight? Looking forward to that, it'll give me motivation to get mine up and running. Oh and I have a couple pairs of the black pads. Oh and sure yahoo is still a champ of the tech world. Thanks to all for the input and advice, cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2015

Getting there!

Well, it's tough to post up a Phoenix after Rumpfy's amazing build, this isn't a competition right, but a mostly friendly and healthy hobby. I've been slowly piecing it together and tinkering to keep my mind from blowing up. In any case, here she is my (previously many others) 1995 Phoenix SE. I know I know a few of the parts aren't VRC (new Potts Type II and Crust LD stem), but they're in the same spirit and I'd never get her set up the way I wanted if I waited for the right parts to fall in my lap. There are a couple things that aren't quite right and I had to gumper fish the front cable hanger (yes that's a presta valve cover), but generally she's pretty well set up IMHO

I think I have the TG brake pretty well set-up and it's the real deal, but will be getting a tutorial from Lee maybe this weekend. I also think I need to grease the rear-hub (oddly it's almost silent and there's a slight roughness to the spin). Can't wait to get her on some dirt and compare the feel with my Salsa dirt drop. Any advice or suggestions are welcome and hell snarky and/or critical comments welcome too...

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p1.jpg

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p2.jpg

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p3.jpg

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p4.jpg

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation-p5.jpg

Still needed: replace the blue ano crank bolts with grey or black (anyone game to trade?), get a better front cable hangar, this one creates some pretty wicked fork shudder any suggestions on how to get rid of that? Plus you might notice I like the speedmaster cantis up front so please don't say get rid of those. Also might paint the stem black and then regret it. Oh and those rear brake pads will be temporary to break the rim in (2 weeks?). Last thing, pretty please "newly" minted WTB shifter mounts! Cheers and ride on

artistic...
    What fork is that? HOw is the front brake working, no shimmy? I like that bike a lot.
    I like the dog too..
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    It's a Potts Type II, literally the last made in his Petaluma shop, as for the front brakes they are grippy, U.S. made speed masters, but the fork shudder is awful, I need an idea to limit that, suggestions? Cheers

mtbr member
    .. the fork shudder is awful, I need an idea to limit that, suggestions? Cheers
    Have you checked with dkg to see if he has any brake boosters left? He did a limited repro run not long ago. That, and dialing the toe-in are the only things i could suggest. Those are definitely the right brakes, given your decision to go with the canti mounts. Looking good!

VRC Illuminati
    Looks pretty good to me BC!

Only changes I'd make are more personal preference things (bar tape, saddle).
    Kudos for opting for a suspension corrected Type II, but you should have had him do RC mounts for it!!

Looking forward to the ride report. We could do an all Phoenix ride!
    -eric-

artistic...
    It's a Potts Type II, literally the last made in his Petaluma shop, as for the front brakes they are grippy, U.S. made speed masters, but the fork shudder is awful, I need an idea to limit that, suggestions? Cheers
    Shudder is happening because of the long distance from cable stop (on headset) to cable hanger/ brakes. On top of that, fork legs are long and probably supple. V brake will solve that. OR.... you would manage to place a cable stop on the fork crown but you would need to drill the fork to do it. Try a V brake and see if i am right.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Good job! Maybe use different brakes like shimanos. Worth a shot. I have the same fork with no shudder but my cable drop isn't as long. I have a pretty stiff cable stop too.

As a side note: it's funny because when I see your thread, it's Rumpfy's bike that shows up as the thread thumbnail.

http://i558.photobucket.com/albums/s...sboluzr5t.jpeg

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Thanks for the input fellas, agree on all thoughts except swapping the brakes, saddle and bar tape, I'm a wuss and like the extra padding of cork. I'll start by dialing in the toe-in first, then getting a hangar that extends further down the head tube (I've seen nice ones at velo orange, but believe they are only 1") and see if that helps, lastly I will consider swapping the front brakes (I have a M950 XTR V brake that would look nice and could work better).

BTW, I thought long and hard about canti vs RC, but ultimately it came down to the Benjamin's and scarcity, I know there's a good number of RCs floating around, but at what cost. In the future if a RC comes into my realm than I'll get it and have Steve mod the fork...but I'll be patient and ride and enjoy it as is. It'll be seeing some dirt this weekend for sure, conditions are still quite prime in the east/north bay, thinking China Camp Sunday! It will be coming with me to this years China Camp retro ride, I think that's in the works again.

gobsmacked Moderator

1995 Phoenix Reincarnation

Oops. Should clarify I suggest different cantilevers.

Also, I have some gel under my bar tape. Probably isn't the best idea with my small hands but for all you boys with big hands.

I have a set of those dkg brake boosters that iamkeith mentioned if you think that would help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    As a side note: it's funny because when I see your thread, it's Rumpfy's bike that shows up as the thread thumbnail.

Hmm, their like canines same species different breed, mines a mutt like my pooch Moxie, ER's a pure breed....as I said I want to stick to the speedmasters until all my tinkering fails and then try something else....I might see Lee sunday, he might have a good fix being a hell of a mech...cheers

gobsmacked Moderator

Hmm, their like canines same species different breed, mines a mutt like my pooch Moxie, ER's a pure breed....as I said I want to stick to the speedmasters until all my tinkering fails and then try something else....I might see Lee sunday, he might have a good fix being a hell of a mech...cheers
    aw, weird. now it's your picture. all fixed!

Yah, Lee is great. I really liked meeting him. He'll straighten it out. Keep us updated, please. You're doing great, BC. Forgot to mention, love the pup!

mtbr member
    A cable hanger that extends farther down the headtube is only going to increase flex and potential for shudder. You want something as stout as possible, even going with one which holds the cable pretty close to the headset cups so it isn't extended so far out. What you have looks to be pretty thick.

In my experience trying to set up those WTB cantilevers, they just have too much play between the brake bosses and the bronze bushings in the brake arms. Or I should say, the tolerances are not well controlled because the two pieces come from different sources. Brake designs like M900 XTR and most V-brakes have the brake arms pivoting on a sleeve which slips over the brake boss and tolerances are better controlled.

Also, those WTB brakes have too many bending moments in them. The straddle cable and pad mounts are not well aligned, so there is lots of twisting going on. They rely on some tight tolerances to hold the pads in alignment. WTB tried many different variations on that clamp to get something that wouldn't slip but also wouldn't crack and they never really got it dialed in.

An XTR V-brake wouldn't feel very good with those high-leverage aero brake levers. Hard to beat M900 XTR in this application.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Nicely done! I was quite curious how it develops and especially about the Crust stem, maybe paint it to match but its hard to tell several thousand miles away.
    As for the brakes I second the Shimano option, also I liked the style of the WTB a lot it was a hassle horror trip for several months during the winter. I swabed them back to Shimano and I am happy...

All the best and enjoy the ride!

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    DC and Marco, I appreciate the sage advice and knowledge, but I'm oddly determined to try to make them work, if not perfectly, but functionally. I'm gonna play around with the set-up a bit. Maybe replacing the bronze bushings with aluminum or stainless might help. If they continue to create shudder and/or have adjustment slippage issues I'll reluctantly scarp them and put on some M900 I have in the pile, I was going for a bit of an eclectic build and have a spare pair of silver control tech jimi stops, they work well on my Lobster and look spiffy to boot. On the fence about painting the stem, we'll see the smooth fillets are pretty...Chomping at the bit to take it for a good spin, but need to resolve brake issue this evening....cheers and happy trails this weekend

VRC Illuminati
    Or nut up and put a Roller Cam on there.
    -eric-

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I have a pair of those first gen XTR canti's years ago at the lbs but they're missing all the springs and covers since they cost a whopping ten bucks. I'll send them to you for free if you want.

Other than that, I was going to say this on Friday but now Rumpfy beat me to it, I totally second his suggestion, get a Speedmaster on the front.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    How generous of Rumpfy to offer up one of the no doubt dozens of his roller cams, I'll PM you my address😀. Went for a couple rides this weekend and fork shudder is virtually gone with the control tech up fron. she instantly felt like the perfect balanced bike for my riding style and size, more on that after a few more technical rides, the Salsa is pissed I cheated. Dig it and thanks for the offer unicrown, but set....for now