Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 1994 S-Works M2

The Brutally Handsome

1994 S-Works M2

Found this '94 S-Works on CL the other day for super cheap, it was coated in a thick layer of sandy clay, but I just couldn't pass it up, what with all the xt's and the titaniums and such. Anyway, I have some questions and I can't seem to find any answers so any help appreciated!

Anyone have a link or scan of the 1994 S-Works catalog?

Anyone know if the S-Works geometry was the same as the Stumpjumper?

Anyone know how the Specialize branded cranks compare to others?

Anyone have a suggestion what fork I could use to replace this long travel Judy Hydracoil with a 1" steerer?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1994 S-Works M2-photo.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    The Strongarm cranks had issues, , Strongarms ll's had less issues. I have a set of ll's and have not had anything pop up yet. Here is 93 & 95 catalogs. Catalogues | Retrobike
    Marzocchi z2. RST 1" steer tubes have been reported to work in them if you cant find a marzocchi1"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That steerer tube is a 1 1/8th. Maybe that fork is a 1" with some weird headset reducer or stem reducer but it does not look like that is the case from the picture. Any 1 1/8th fork will work on that bike just keep it under 80mm of travel and it wont change the handling too much If that is a truly a 1" steerer I would be happy to trade you any one of a handful of 1 1/8th forks I have laying around. The hydracoil Judy's where not awful riding forks (much better then the type 1 and type 2 cartridge forks). Super easy to work on and seals are still available. I hated those cranks I think sugino made them for specialized and the shifting on them was never close to either the race face rings or even the cheaper lx and lower shimano cranks. I would guess that long travel judy is 80mm of travel as I do not think they offered that fork in a 100mm option till a much later fork leg casting.

The Brutally Handsome
    Wow, just making all kinds of assumptions based on that one cell phone pic, huh? It's a 1" steerer with a 1" threadless headset, 1" Specialized Ti stem, and a 1999 Judy Hydracoil 100mm travel fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Are you sure its a 94? The 94s had 1 1/8th headtubes? If its a 1" headtube then I stand corrected I was not aware of a 1 "s works hardtails from 94.

The Brutally Handsome
    I don't know what to say, there's an absurdly overpriced one on ebay right now if you search 1994 S-Works, it also has a 1" headtube.

I was surprised too, I just assumed it was 1 1/8" until I got it home and started taking it apart. I also thought the headset might be a reducer, but it doesn't appear that 1 1/8" cups would fit.

Schipperkes are cool.
    Those Specy Ti stems are a known failure, so be careful
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    I always thought the S-works Strongarm cranks were great, if not the lightest. Comparable to any other cold-forged crank.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    Yikes, thanks for the heads up!

mtbr member
    I had a Pal who broke 3 SW-M2 frames just racing XC. (none of that newfangled hulking stuff). After the 3rd, he got a Yo Eddy. Just sayn'.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by banks View Post
    Some people could break a 1" solid steel hardened bar , many have had good luck with those stems including myself. Id run it if it checks out after a thorough inspection and keep a eye on it.

mtbr member
    Here's my '94 S-works with XT build kit from the factory. Probably my Keysville ride this year, it's just too much fun

BTY: this has 1 1/8" headset

Last edited by kb11; 01-04-2013 at 06:48 PM.
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Found an old thread from this site that the 1" steerer s works where rigid in 94 and the suspension one was 1 1/8th. Maybe the 1" where leftover from 93 and they just re released them? My bad. Decent 1" suspension forks are getting hard to find. Last couple of 1" sids went for way too much for how little I liked that fork bitd. May be possible to lower the travel on that fork but I do not think it lowers the ac just a hard plastic spacer to limit the travel from what I remember. I had that red version and rode it through 5 rim sets and countless rock shox forks till I got a Z2 for it in 2000. Finally sold it in 2008 for a full suspension rocky that I did not like nearly as much. Good score and good luck on a nice 1" fork.

The Brutally Handsome
    Quote Originally Posted by pugslybell View Post
    Found an old thread from this site that the 1" steerer s works where rigid in 94 and the suspension one was 1 1/8th. Maybe the 1" where leftover from 93 and they just re released them? My bad. Decent 1" suspension forks are getting hard to find. Last couple of 1" sids went for way too much for how little I liked that fork bitd. May be possible to lower the travel on that fork but I do not think it lowers the ac just a hard plastic spacer to limit the travel from what I remember. I had that red version and rode it through 5 rim sets and countless rock shox forks till I got a Z2 for it in 2000. Finally sold it in 2008 for a full suspension rocky that I did not like nearly as much. Good score and good luck on a nice 1" fork.
    Interesting, seems then we were both correct, haha!

The original owner said there's a slim chance he still has the rigid fork, so my fingers are crossed that he finds it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    You can still get a decent non suspension corrected fork from your local lbs. I think QBP makes one in the older ac (395mm) still that is decent for around $60.00 painted gloss black under either the surly brand or dimension (house brand of components for QBP part number fk0073). Your other option is a bolt on crowned marzochi z1 in 1 1/8th then buying an rst steerer that is 1" for it. Older z1s can be had for around $100 bucks in 1 1/8th. Oil change and good to go those forks needed very little care and where open bath so very little that could break internally.
    Plenty of older 1" forks on ebay but its getting hard to find threadless ones.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    Yikes, thanks for the heads up!
    Personally, I wouldn't trust it...the stem is definitely not a part I would want breaking on me...unless you enjoy reconstructive dentistry...

Specialized Ti Stem Stem Reviews

1990's Specialized S Works Ti mountain stem

Specialized titanium stem?

Specialized cast ti stem question

The Brutally Handsome
    I have another stem I think I'll use, didn't like the look of the specialized one anyway, kinda goofy.
    Last edited by Sizzler; 01-05-2013 at 10:49 PM.

Mtn Biker Machinist
    Quote Originally Posted by Sizzler View Post
    The original owner said there's a slim chance he still has the rigid fork, so my fingers are crossed that he finds it.
    I've got a Marz fork with the bolt on crown and steerer. It's 1 1/8" right now, but I have seen the 1" steerers on ebay.

PM me if you are interested.

frog

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

CS2
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by djmuff View Post
    I always thought the S-works Strongarm cranks were great, if not the lightest. Comparable to any other cold-forged crank.
    Didn't Sugino make all the Strongarm cranksets?
    A garage full of steel frames means happiness.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am not sure if they made all of them but they made most of them (not certain of the s-works ones some of those had shimano spiders that worked with the m950 xtr but I doubt shimano made them). I thought the rings shifted much worse then the race face and shimano offerings of the same time frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    My 94 s-works m2 looks almost identical to yours, but mine recently started leaking oil from one of the shocks and I would ideally like to overhaul, but cannot find repair kit. I paid $230 for bike having been obsessed since first seeing Ned racing his earlier model for team specialized. I am lazy and just want to either overhaul or replace with comparable modern fork. Mine is threaded. Any suggestions? Thank you for the help.
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11 View Post
    Here's my '94 S-works with XT build kit from the factory. Probably my Keysville ride this year, it's just too much fun

BTY: this has 1 1/8" headset

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1994 S-Works M2

Keep the Judy crown and stuck a Sid in it. Or track down a Judy FSX. The cast specialized stems really did suck. We warrantied a ton of them. The cast ti seat collars as well. Best luck for the fork would be to find a Ritchey Logic. I would think finding the correct Specoalized fork would be difficult

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

1994 S-Works M2

Actually looking a little closer at the pick it looks like a Judy Sl crown with aluminum steerer and the stanctions aren't removable? If that's the case and the stanctions are in good shape I would track down an FSX and swap the lowers

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I had a 1994 S-works and was 1 1/8" for sure, maybe yours is older, I think the first ones got release in 1991..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast