Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Rhygin Ra

underachiever

1994 Rhygin Ra

After several months of debating exactly what route I was going to take with my 1994 Rhygin, it is now finished. The only thing on the bike that is original from the 1996 build is the fork, brake levers and the peace sign brake cable hanger. Anyway, more thoughts later. For now, some photos:

Attachment 375534

Attachment 375535

Attachment 375536

Attachment 375537

Attachment 375538
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 04:58 AM.

underachiever
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 04:58 AM.

underachiever

some specs

Frame: Rhygin
    Fork: Rock Shox Judy XC
    Rims: Mavic Crossmax SL (was Mavic 217 SUP in the rear and Araya RM-17 in the front)
    Hubs: Mavic Crossmax SL (was Hershey titanium in the rear and Shimano XT in the front)
    Quick Release: Mavic (was Salsa titanium in Rasta color scheme)
    Tires: Michelin Mountain A.T. tubeless tires
    Pedals: Shimano XTR (was Shimano XT)
    Crank: Crank Brothers Cobalt SL (was Cook Brothers Racing RSR w/Kooka rings)
    Chain: SRAM
    Rear Cogs: Shimano Dura Ace (no idea what was on there prior; possibly Shimano XT)
    Bottom Bracket: Crank Brothers Cobalt titanium (was TNT titanium)
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR (was Shimano XT)
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-0 (was Shimano XT)
    Shifters: SRAM X-0 (was Grip Shift X-Ray)
    Handlebars: Seven Cycles titanium (was Bontrager Titec 118 titanium)
    Bar ends: Gone, daddy, gone (was Fat Bottom titanium)
    Grips: Grip Shift
    Stem: Ibis titanium (was Control Tech)
    Headset: Chris King 2NUT
    Brake set: Shimano XTR (was Shimano LX)
    Brake levers: Kooka Racha
    Saddle: Sella Italia SLR (was Sella Italia Flite)
    Seat Post: Moots Cinch titanium (was Syncros titanium)
    Paint: Rasta
    Size: 18"
    Weight: 21.5 pounds (was 21 pounds)
    Serial #: I can't see it through the paint.
    Place of Origin: Somerville, MA
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 07-11-2008 at 09:28 AM.

HIYAH
    Your fork has sticker irony.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

VRC Illuminati
    Its like you downgraded almost the whole bike!

I keed, I keed!
    Looks race ready now.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

bonked
    I love it. Well, not the paint so much, but I really would love to get a Rhygin so I can really bump up my current east of the mississippi bike theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Nice! Awesome build. Did Rhygin spec the Dont Tread on Me stickers too?

Those Somerville Mafia guys...

artistic...
    my new favourite bike on this forum.

awesome.

aggressive. classy. fat.

mtbr member
    Sweeeeeeeeet!

Viva Taxachusetts!!!!!!!!!!!

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    my new favourite bike on this forum.

awesome.

aggressive. classy. fat.
    one Rhygin Ra: an arm
    replacing most of the parts after a decade filled with lots of memorable rides: an arm and a leg
    being told your bike is aggressive, classy and fat: priceless

it's my favorite, too! though my recently acquired Fat Chance Yo Eddy is working its way up the ranks...

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    Nice! Awesome build. Did Rhygin spec the Dont Tread on Me stickers too?

Those Somerville Mafia guys...
    nope. I bought a Yo Eddy sticker sheet from Rody and slapped it on.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    I love it. Well, not the paint so much, but I really would love to get a Rhygin so I can really bump up my current east of the mississippi bike theme.
    the paint took some used to getting used to, as I like solid colors better. obviously, he (Christian Jones) painted these in the Jamaican flag for a reason, though I've seen only a couple others in solid red. the paint is actually still in excellent condition.

maybe at some point I'll go west of the Mississippi (got my eye on a 1992 Ibis Xtra Mojo). all my bikes are local, which I really like (Independent Fabrication, Fat Chance, Ted Wojcik).
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 07-11-2008 at 06:24 AM.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Its like you downgraded almost the whole bike!
    I keed, I keed!
    Looks race ready now.
    well, it's funny you mention the downgrading (yes, I know you're kidding!), because there were so many parts on it that were made by small, independent manufacturers that I really liked. companies like Hershey, Cook Brothers Racing, Kooka, Fat Bottom and TNT are gone and Syncros, Bontrager and Control Tech aren't the same as they were way back then.

it wasn't as much fun doing the rebuild as it was acquiring the parts back in the early 1990s. it would have been nice to do this as close to period correctness, but I don't have the patience like many of you. plus, considering this was purchased as a frame, I feel less compelled to go with the vintage. my newly acquired 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy will stay exactly as it was built, though.

although, I was super psyched to get the 1992 Ibis titanium stem and the XTR cantilevers. considering I just picked up the Yo Eddy, that'll be my bike that I keep period correct (even though that was also purchased as frame/fork). the Kooka levers will also never, ever come off this bike.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants
    maybe at some point I'll go west of the Mississippi (got my eye on a 1992 Ibis Xtra Mojo). all my bikes are local, which I really like (Independent Fabrication, Fat Chance, Ted Wojcik).
    You still have plenty more eastern bikes to add to your collection before you head west, same as me. I've got IF, Fat, BREW and Litespeed sorted. Now to track down Rhygin, Nevil, Grove, EWR, Merlin, Wojcik....

I'd love to find an intact Nevil Devil that is large enough for me to ride.

Oh my poor wallet
    Yes I am!

You still have plenty more eastern bikes to add to your collection before you head west, same as me. I've got IF, Fat, BREW and Litespeed sorted. Now to track down Rhygin, Nevil, Grove, EWR, Merlin, Wojcik....

Oh my poor wallet
    Need yourself a Darkside

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    I really dig that...except for the XO. It looks funny to me.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimpee
    I really dig that...except for the XO. It looks funny to me.
    well, I wanted Shimano XTR, but Grip Shift X-0 doesn't play well with anything except SRAM. the old Grip Shift X-Rays were great (and worked with Shimano), but the housing was cracked and I had to replace them.

mtbr member
    Need yourself a Darkside
    Everyone needs a Darkside!

Killer looking Rhygin. I have dinner with Rhygin's original machinist a few times a month...

bonked
    Need yourself a Darkside
    I'm not really big into Al
    Yes I am!

underachiever

Oh my poor wallet
    yes, my poor wallet. it's a little light these days. in addition to updated the Rhygin and purchasing the Yo Eddy, I just had an two IFs built. I am my own worst enemy.
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 07-11-2008 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm not really big into Al

Blasphemer.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    Blasphemer.
    Send me a size L Junebug with an appropriate fork and 410mm post to demo and I'll let you know what I think about it.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Send me a size L Junebug with an appropriate fork and 410mm post to demo and I'll let you know what I think about it.

You are in Georgia, right?

Head down to AVX velo. Richie and Jamie both have our Skeletor road bikes in your size. Prepare to be confused by the ride of a good modern aluminum bike...

Back on track, I heard both Nevil and Christian whinging that one had ripped off the other on the rasta paint scheme...

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    I heard both Nevil and Christian whinging that one had ripped off the other on the rasta paint scheme...
    yup, according to the 1994 Bike Magazine article...

The Anchor

rhygin colors

[QUOTE=misterdangerpants]the paint took some used to getting used to, as I like solid colors better. obviously, he (Christian Jones) painted these in the Jamaican flag for a reason, though I've seen only a couple others in solid red. the paint is actually still in excellent condition.

when we borrowed the #2 rhygin for a race in FLA it was red power coat. our first team bikes were all solid colors. one black, one cool nomad blue, one red, and one naked(i got tired of waiting). my first rhygin was full custom, i had christian base the frame around mt bonty switchblades, had the headtube at 1 1/8" (probably the only one he made) and 73/73 for angles. he also put an old school gusset in the front triangle with a bottle opener in the middle. that frame broke at the gusset, and was replaced with another. same specs, but no gusset (relocated the bottle opener to the seattube), and still naked.

the black bike is in portland, or now. the blue bike broke and has been replaced with a rasta (will be at the ride), red bike is still red and will be there, the naked bike got resprayed green, and fell off a trunk carrier in 2005 somewhere along 495 (i have been searching craigslist since that day, if any one found my rhygin, full grafton brakes, levers,cranks, bottom bracket, green ringle stem,syncros ti bar,control stix team bar ends, bontrager nivachrome switchblade fork, bullseye green and purple from wheel with radial ti spokes, original hugi rear hub, both laced to bontrager bcx rims, with 2.35 ritchey wcs zmax tires, xt thumbies controlling xt ders.) god i miss that bike.

underachiever

counting backwards

So, I've been in my shop recently mixing things up, and decided to put some period correct parts on my Rhygin. I removed the absolutely stunning 1992 Ibis titanium stem and swapped it with a Ritchey Force stem. Both are 0 degree rise, but the Ibis is 135mm and the Ritchey is 125, which is the length I've been using on this rig since the original build (I still have the Control Tech stem). I really wanted the Ibis, and thought the extra 10mm wouldn't be that noticeable, but it was. Oh well. I actually like the look of the Ritchey better, so all is not lost. I also slapped on the Selle Italia Flite (date stamped 1991) with a new Black Sheep titanium seat post.

Currently researching an 8-speed drive train....

Attachment 433528

Attachment 433529
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 04:57 AM.

underachiever

Fin.

A couple of changes to my lovely 1994 Rhygin Ra before I call it a day. I just installed the Syncros Revolution crankset on with a Phil Wood titanium/magnium bottom bracket. Both the 110mm and 117mm were too narrow, so I ended up going with a 123mm. Needless to say, it was a tad expensive having to purchase two extra bottom brackets. I sold the 110mm and kept the 117mm for my Hershey Racing crankset. Also, the yellow NOS Selle Italia Flite saddle complemented the bike well, so I slapped it on. Generally I'm not much into matching saddles, but I thought this looked pretty nice (I also have an orange NOS orange Flite on my road bike). Speaking of matching, I just got my SwissStop Rat brake pads and coincidentally, they're green. I'm also waiting for an NOS Rock Shox Judy Retrofit Type II Kit to arrive. Should be here tomorrow. The fork doesn't need it as it's in remarkably good shape, but I thought I'd pick it up anyway.

Anyway, I'm done with building bikes for awhile. Just in the past year, I built up my 2007 Ted Wojcik in two amazing configurations, purchased a mint condition 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy, built a 2009 Independent Fabrication Deluxe "Rhygin Redux" and am in the process of waiting for James at Black Sheep Bikes to make me a titanium fork, seat spot and stem (estimated 9/20 delivery date) for my 2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel. Oh, and let's not forget this lovely Rhygin that I pumped a fair amount of coin into. Once the Black Sheep parts arrive, my wallet is officially closed to bikes (well, except for general maintenance items). It certainly has been a busy and fun past year....

Attachment 476134

Attachment 476135

Attachment 476136

Attachment 476137
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 04:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Fantastic bike. I like all the builds. Now if somebody's got a 15"er laying around...

mtbr member
    Love it--rasta colors and all. Would a rasta CK headset be overkill?

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by 993rs
    Fantastic bike. I like all the builds. Now if somebody's got a 15"er laying around...
    Thanks! Actually, recently, there was one for sale locally that I believe was a 15".

Quote Originally Posted by babbalanja
    Love it--rasta colors and all. Would a rasta CK headset be overkill?
    Again, thanks! Well, if you have one hanging around, I'd gladly install it.

underachiever

Naked Rhygin

So, instead of creating a new thread, I thought I'd just add onto this one considering the path I'm taking might not interest many of you (or be that appropriate for this forum). That being said, my beloved Rhygin is currently in the good hands of Chris Igleheart, awaiting its transformation to becoming a single speed. At this point, the frame has been stripped and once Chris gets back from the NAHBS, he'll get started on the frame and wicked cool traditional New England segmented fork that my trusty Rhygin will be sporting.

Anyway, I'll be hanging out in the Singlespeed forum and will create a progress thread over there at some point, so chime in if you're over there!

Here's a few photos of the naked frame. Excuse some of the blurry shots as I still haven't mastered my digital camera yet. I included the groovy head badge I had Jen Green make (just arrived Saturday!) and it looks really nice! I'm not having any decals, just the paint which will be the Fat Chance Team Violet (thanks to Rody for posting the formula in his blog). The owner at Under Ground Cycles said it was a shame to strip the rasta paint job considering it was in such pristine condition. I figure after 16 years it's time for a change.... (At least I was able to finally determine that my bike indeed didn't have a serial number)

Attachment 517084

Attachment 517085

Attachment 517086

Attachment 517087

Attachment 517088

Attachment 517089

Attachment 517090

Attachment 517091

Attachment 517092

Attachment 517093

underachiever

mtbr member
    Danger, Danger , Danger...How have you been?

Always a project at hand!

I converted my Klein Fervor to SS a while back, enjoying it, it's a blast in the snow.

See you around!

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    Danger, Danger , Danger...How have you been?

Always a project at hand!

I converted my Klein Fervor to SS a while back, enjoying it, it's a blast in the snow.

See you around!
    Howdy there! The skinny:

Obviously, there's this project I'm looking to finish by spring. Chris says March/April completion on his end. That will be just in time for me as I'll definitely be fully recovered from my foot surgery this month (injury sustained during the 2009 Boston Marathon while running into CVS). Rhygin Metax just needs to be assembled as I have everything (just got an AWESOME Syncros titanium seat post that looks brand new) but I've been too busy playing in the snow to spare any time. The IF Ti Crown Jewel and Ted Wojcik have been sold, so it's down to the 2 Rhygin beasts and the IF Deluxe urban/suburban/rural assault vehicle. I have another project in the works, though want to wait until both Rhygin cycles are completed (and well ridden, too!!!!). Btw, I thought of getting a Fervor for a single speed project considering it has the horizontal drop-outs. I had a 1991 Klein Pinnacle XT back in 1991 and really liked it. We'll have to hook up for a single speed ride at some point.

Looking forward to Don's Reunion Ride this year again. I'm thinking he should throw at least 2 or 3 as so many people really seem to enjoy them.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006

Braze-ons

Will Chris take off the top tube braze-ons (geared stuff)? I've considered converting an older steel bike to SS, but wasn't sure how it would look with the rear mech. braze-ons left on the frame. A couple Bonty's have been done but they haven't had theirs removed.

The welds on that frame are as clean as Fat Chance stuff from back in the day.

Looking forward to seeing the final SS build.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ronin
    Will Chris take off the top tube braze-ons (geared stuff)? I've considered converting an older steel bike to SS, but wasn't sure how it would look with the rear mech. braze-ons left on the frame. A couple Bonty's have been done but they haven't had theirs removed.
    Yes, along with the horizontal dropouts being installed, all of the derailleur braze-ons will be removed and the triple cable guide will be replaced with a single cable guide. It'll look pretty clean that way and I can always have them reinstalled in case I want to convert it back to a multi-speed bike (doubtful, though).

The welds on that frame are as clean as Fat Chance stuff from back in the day.
    From what Chris Igleheart tells me (who actually had done work for Christian/Rhygin), it is likely that this frame was most likely welded by someone from Fat City. It's a small bike building world here in Boston, so I gather that's highly likely.

Looking forward to seeing the final SS build.
    Thanks! Me too!

underachiever

Back from paint

So, I brought the Rhygin to Toby Stanton back in late March for a fresh coat of paint and he contacted me this afternoon to inform me it was done. Needless to say, I set my status on my work computer to "Be Right Back" and made a bee line to Toby's shop. When I arrived, he was just preparing to buff the frame, so I got to chat with him while he performed that task. It looked pretty darn good before the buffing, and it looks spectacular now that it's done! Wow! The fades are really, really well done. It's getting dark, so I only took a few photos to highlight the Rhygin head badge and down tube. These used to be decals but Toby painted them on (per my request). Kudos to him for getting this right as he had to create these from scratch. Again, wow! I just need to decide what the heck to do with it now (it is not going to be a single speed, and will most likely be going back to period correctness)....

Attachment 544545

Attachment 544546

Attachment 544547

Attachment 544548

mtbr member
    very nice!

banned
    Beautiful paint job.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants
    I looked pretty darn good before the buffing
    And I'll bet you look even better now that you're all buff and everything...

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
    very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws
    Beautiful paint job.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sho220
    And I'll bet you look even better now that you're all buff and everything...
    Damn my aging eyes and fat finger syndrome!

underachiever

underachiever

VRC Illuminati
    Nice. Now start hangin' parts!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Well beautiful paint. I must admit though that if I saw you riding the bike on the trail, I would just assume you were stoned.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

underachiever
    Nice. Now start hangin' parts!
    Thanks! Toby Stanton really is quite talented and I highly recommend anyone wanting to get their bike painted. His reputation really does precede him.

The process has begun:

Attachment 544931

Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Well beautiful paint. I must admit though that if I saw you riding the bike on the trail, I would just assume you were stoned.
    Thanks again! Well, I debated having the bike painted with the Fat Chance Team Violet, but my fiancee (wife 4 weeks from tomorrow; congrats to you, too!) convinced me to stick with the original paint scheme. Considering the rasta connection, it made sense. Plus, it keeps it original and I dig that.

VRC Illuminati
    You didn't have the fork painted to match while you were at it!?

Fail.
    -eric-

underachiever
    You didn't have the fork painted to match while you were at it!?

Fail.
    The fork is being replaced with an Igleheart traditional New England segmented fork, and I won't get that until July. I have a 953 650B frame/fork currently being built by Igleheart, so that takes priority at the moment (I was told it'll be ready in June, but I'm guessing July is a better estimate). For the time being, the Judy will have to do.

mtbr member
    Nice.

The seg fork would look hot with that paint scheme extended---red at the crown to yellow mid way down the legs. Maybe even red again at the ends, like how it goes back to green on either end of the seat tube.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y
    Nice.

The seg fork would look hot with that paint scheme extended---red at the crown to yellow mid way down the legs. Maybe even red again at the ends, like how it goes back to green on either end of the seat tube.
    Sounds good Nate but ever since you tried to match that red rack to the purple Fat I have to wonder about your choices in mixing colors............
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast