Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1994 Rhygin Ra

underachiever

1994 Rhygin Ra

After several months of debating exactly what route I was going to take with my 1994 Rhygin, it is now finished. The only thing on the bike that is original from the 1996 build is the fork, brake levers and the peace sign brake cable hanger. Anyway, more thoughts later. For now, some photos:

Attachment 375534

Attachment 375535

Attachment 375536

Attachment 375537

Attachment 375538
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:58 AM.

underachiever
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:58 AM.

underachiever

some specs

Frame: Rhygin
    Fork: Rock Shox Judy XC
    Rims: Mavic Crossmax SL (was Mavic 217 SUP in the rear and Araya RM-17 in the front)
    Hubs: Mavic Crossmax SL (was Hershey titanium in the rear and Shimano XT in the front)
    Quick Release: Mavic (was Salsa titanium in Rasta color scheme)
    Tires: Michelin Mountain A.T. tubeless tires
    Pedals: Shimano XTR (was Shimano XT)
    Crank: Crank Brothers Cobalt SL (was Cook Brothers Racing RSR w/Kooka rings)
    Chain: SRAM
    Rear Cogs: Shimano Dura Ace (no idea what was on there prior; possibly Shimano XT)
    Bottom Bracket: Crank Brothers Cobalt titanium (was TNT titanium)
    Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR (was Shimano XT)
    Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-0 (was Shimano XT)
    Shifters: SRAM X-0 (was Grip Shift X-Ray)
    Handlebars: Seven Cycles titanium (was Bontrager Titec 118 titanium)
    Bar ends: Gone, daddy, gone (was Fat Bottom titanium)
    Grips: Grip Shift
    Stem: Ibis titanium (was Control Tech)
    Headset: Chris King 2NUT
    Brake set: Shimano XTR (was Shimano LX)
    Brake levers: Kooka Racha
    Saddle: Sella Italia SLR (was Sella Italia Flite)
    Seat Post: Moots Cinch titanium (was Syncros titanium)
    Paint: Rasta
    Size: 18"
    Weight: 21.5 pounds (was 21 pounds)
    Serial #: I can't see it through the paint.
    Place of Origin: Somerville, MA
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 07-11-2008 at 09:28 AM.

HIYAH
    Your fork has sticker irony.
    TTHHHHHHHHHPPPPPPPPPTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

VRC Illuminati
    Its like you downgraded almost the whole bike!

I keed, I keed!
    Looks race ready now.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

bonked
    I love it. Well, not the paint so much, but I really would love to get a Rhygin so I can really bump up my current east of the mississippi bike theme.
    Quote Originally Posted by banks
    That is one big f'n dude!
    Yes I am!

Nice! Awesome build. Did Rhygin spec the Dont Tread on Me stickers too?

Those Somerville Mafia guys...

artistic...
    my new favourite bike on this forum.

awesome.

aggressive. classy. fat.
    WTB: Bomber Z2 1 1/8 steerer, in good to excellent shape OR bomber rebuild kit.

mtbr member
    Sweeeeeeeeet!

Viva Taxachusetts!!!!!!!!!!!

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    my new favourite bike on this forum.

awesome.

aggressive. classy. fat.
    one Rhygin Ra: an arm
    replacing most of the parts after a decade filled with lots of memorable rides: an arm and a leg
    being told your bike is aggressive, classy and fat: priceless

it's my favorite, too! though my recently acquired Fat Chance Yo Eddy is working its way up the ranks...

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by ameybrook
    Nice! Awesome build. Did Rhygin spec the Dont Tread on Me stickers too?

Those Somerville Mafia guys...
    nope. I bought a Yo Eddy sticker sheet from Rody and slapped it on.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by IF52
    I love it. Well, not the paint so much, but I really would love to get a Rhygin so I can really bump up my current east of the mississippi bike theme.
    the paint took some used to getting used to, as I like solid colors better. obviously, he (Christian Jones) painted these in the Jamaican flag for a reason, though I've seen only a couple others in solid red. the paint is actually still in excellent condition.

maybe at some point I'll go west of the Mississippi (got my eye on a 1992 Ibis Xtra Mojo). all my bikes are local, which I really like (Independent Fabrication, Fat Chance, Ted Wojcik).
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 07-11-2008 at 06:24 AM.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Its like you downgraded almost the whole bike!
    I keed, I keed!
    Looks race ready now.
    well, it's funny you mention the downgrading (yes, I know you're kidding!), because there were so many parts on it that were made by small, independent manufacturers that I really liked. companies like Hershey, Cook Brothers Racing, Kooka, Fat Bottom and TNT are gone and Syncros, Bontrager and Control Tech aren't the same as they were way back then.

it wasn't as much fun doing the rebuild as it was acquiring the parts back in the early 1990s. it would have been nice to do this as close to period correctness, but I don't have the patience like many of you. plus, considering this was purchased as a frame, I feel less compelled to go with the vintage. my newly acquired 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy will stay exactly as it was built, though.

although, I was super psyched to get the 1992 Ibis titanium stem and the XTR cantilevers. considering I just picked up the Yo Eddy, that'll be my bike that I keep period correct (even though that was also purchased as frame/fork). the Kooka levers will also never, ever come off this bike.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdangerpants
    maybe at some point I'll go west of the Mississippi (got my eye on a 1992 Ibis Xtra Mojo). all my bikes are local, which I really like (Independent Fabrication, Fat Chance, Ted Wojcik).
    You still have plenty more eastern bikes to add to your collection before you head west, same as me. I've got IF, Fat, BREW and Litespeed sorted. Now to track down Rhygin, Nevil, Grove, EWR, Merlin, Wojcik....

I'd love to find an intact Nevil Devil that is large enough for me to ride.

Oh my poor wallet
    Yes I am!

You still have plenty more eastern bikes to add to your collection before you head west, same as me. I've got IF, Fat, BREW and Litespeed sorted. Now to track down Rhygin, Nevil, Grove, EWR, Merlin, Wojcik....

Oh my poor wallet
    Need yourself a Darkside

25-yr old Retrogrouch
    Oct 2007
    I really dig that...except for the XO. It looks funny to me.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Slimpee
    I really dig that...except for the XO. It looks funny to me.
    well, I wanted Shimano XTR, but Grip Shift X-0 doesn't play well with anything except SRAM. the old Grip Shift X-Rays were great (and worked with Shimano), but the housing was cracked and I had to replace them.

mtbr member
    Need yourself a Darkside
    Everyone needs a Darkside!

Killer looking Rhygin. I have dinner with Rhygin's original machinist a few times a month...

bonked
    Need yourself a Darkside
    I'm not really big into Al
    Yes I am!

underachiever

Oh my poor wallet
    yes, my poor wallet. it's a little light these days. in addition to updated the Rhygin and purchasing the Yo Eddy, I just had an two IFs built. I am my own worst enemy.
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 07-11-2008 at 11:02 AM.

mtbr member
    I'm not really big into Al

Blasphemer.

bonked
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    Blasphemer.
    Send me a size L Junebug with an appropriate fork and 410mm post to demo and I'll let you know what I think about it.
    Yes I am!

mtbr member
    Send me a size L Junebug with an appropriate fork and 410mm post to demo and I'll let you know what I think about it.

You are in Georgia, right?

Head down to AVX velo. Richie and Jamie both have our Skeletor road bikes in your size. Prepare to be confused by the ride of a good modern aluminum bike...

Back on track, I heard both Nevil and Christian whinging that one had ripped off the other on the rasta paint scheme...

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by SuspectDevice
    I heard both Nevil and Christian whinging that one had ripped off the other on the rasta paint scheme...
    yup, according to the 1994 Bike Magazine article...

The Anchor

rhygin colors

[QUOTE=misterdangerpants]the paint took some used to getting used to, as I like solid colors better. obviously, he (Christian Jones) painted these in the Jamaican flag for a reason, though I've seen only a couple others in solid red. the paint is actually still in excellent condition.

when we borrowed the #2 rhygin for a race in FLA it was red power coat. our first team bikes were all solid colors. one black, one cool nomad blue, one red, and one naked(i got tired of waiting). my first rhygin was full custom, i had christian base the frame around mt bonty switchblades, had the headtube at 1 1/8" (probably the only one he made) and 73/73 for angles. he also put an old school gusset in the front triangle with a bottle opener in the middle. that frame broke at the gusset, and was replaced with another. same specs, but no gusset (relocated the bottle opener to the seattube), and still naked.

the black bike is in portland, or now. the blue bike broke and has been replaced with a rasta (will be at the ride), red bike is still red and will be there, the naked bike got resprayed green, and fell off a trunk carrier in 2005 somewhere along 495 (i have been searching craigslist since that day, if any one found my rhygin, full grafton brakes, levers,cranks, bottom bracket, green ringle stem,syncros ti bar,control stix team bar ends, bontrager nivachrome switchblade fork, bullseye green and purple from wheel with radial ti spokes, original hugi rear hub, both laced to bontrager bcx rims, with 2.35 ritchey wcs zmax tires, xt thumbies controlling xt ders.) god i miss that bike.

underachiever

counting backwards

So, I've been in my shop recently mixing things up, and decided to put some period correct parts on my Rhygin. I removed the absolutely stunning 1992 Ibis titanium stem and swapped it with a Ritchey Force stem. Both are 0 degree rise, but the Ibis is 135mm and the Ritchey is 125, which is the length I've been using on this rig since the original build (I still have the Control Tech stem). I really wanted the Ibis, and thought the extra 10mm wouldn't be that noticeable, but it was. Oh well. I actually like the look of the Ritchey better, so all is not lost. I also slapped on the Selle Italia Flite (date stamped 1991) with a new Black Sheep titanium seat post.

Currently researching an 8-speed drive train....

Attachment 433528

Attachment 433529
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:57 AM.

underachiever

Fin.

A couple of changes to my lovely 1994 Rhygin Ra before I call it a day. I just installed the Syncros Revolution crankset on with a Phil Wood titanium/magnium bottom bracket. Both the 110mm and 117mm were too narrow, so I ended up going with a 123mm. Needless to say, it was a tad expensive having to purchase two extra bottom brackets. I sold the 110mm and kept the 117mm for my Hershey Racing crankset. Also, the yellow NOS Selle Italia Flite saddle complemented the bike well, so I slapped it on. Generally I'm not much into matching saddles, but I thought this looked pretty nice (I also have an orange NOS orange Flite on my road bike). Speaking of matching, I just got my SwissStop Rat brake pads and coincidentally, they're green. I'm also waiting for an NOS Rock Shox Judy Retrofit Type II Kit to arrive. Should be here tomorrow. The fork doesn't need it as it's in remarkably good shape, but I thought I'd pick it up anyway.

Anyway, I'm done with building bikes for awhile. Just in the past year, I built up my 2007 Ted Wojcik in two amazing configurations, purchased a mint condition 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy, built a 2009 Independent Fabrication Deluxe "Rhygin Redux" and am in the process of waiting for James at Black Sheep Bikes to make me a titanium fork, seat spot and stem (estimated 9/20 delivery date) for my 2008 Independent Fabrication Titanium Crown Jewel. Oh, and let's not forget this lovely Rhygin that I pumped a fair amount of coin into. Once the Black Sheep parts arrive, my wallet is officially closed to bikes (well, except for general maintenance items). It certainly has been a busy and fun past year....

Attachment 476134

Attachment 476135

Attachment 476136

Attachment 476137
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Fantastic bike. I like all the builds. Now if somebody's got a 15"er laying around...

mtbr member
    Love it--rasta colors and all. Would a rasta CK headset be overkill?

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by 993rs
    Fantastic bike. I like all the builds. Now if somebody's got a 15"er laying around...
    Thanks! Actually, recently, there was one for sale locally that I believe was a 15".

Quote Originally Posted by babbalanja
    Love it--rasta colors and all. Would a rasta CK headset be overkill?
    Again, thanks! Well, if you have one hanging around, I'd gladly install it.

underachiever

Naked Rhygin

So, instead of creating a new thread, I thought I'd just add onto this one considering the path I'm taking might not interest many of you (or be that appropriate for this forum). That being said, my beloved Rhygin is currently in the good hands of Chris Igleheart, awaiting its transformation to becoming a single speed. At this point, the frame has been stripped and once Chris gets back from the NAHBS, he'll get started on the frame and wicked cool traditional New England segmented fork that my trusty Rhygin will be sporting.

Anyway, I'll be hanging out in the Singlespeed forum and will create a progress thread over there at some point, so chime in if you're over there!

Here's a few photos of the naked frame. Excuse some of the blurry shots as I still haven't mastered my digital camera yet. I included the groovy head badge I had Jen Green make (just arrived Saturday!) and it looks really nice! I'm not having any decals, just the paint which will be the Fat Chance Team Violet (thanks to Rody for posting the formula in his blog). The owner at Under Ground Cycles said it was a shame to strip the rasta paint job considering it was in such pristine condition. I figure after 16 years it's time for a change.... (At least I was able to finally determine that my bike indeed didn't have a serial number)

Attachment 517084

Attachment 517085

Attachment 517086

Attachment 517087

Attachment 517088

Attachment 517089

Attachment 517090

Attachment 517091

Attachment 517092

Attachment 517093

underachiever

mtbr member
    Danger, Danger , Danger...How have you been?

Always a project at hand!

I converted my Klein Fervor to SS a while back, enjoying it, it's a blast in the snow.

See you around!

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    Danger, Danger , Danger...How have you been?

Always a project at hand!

I converted my Klein Fervor to SS a while back, enjoying it, it's a blast in the snow.

See you around!
    Howdy there! The skinny:

Obviously, there's this project I'm looking to finish by spring. Chris says March/April completion on his end. That will be just in time for me as I'll definitely be fully recovered from my foot surgery this month (injury sustained during the 2009 Boston Marathon while running into CVS). Rhygin Metax just needs to be assembled as I have everything (just got an AWESOME Syncros titanium seat post that looks brand new) but I've been too busy playing in the snow to spare any time. The IF Ti Crown Jewel and Ted Wojcik have been sold, so it's down to the 2 Rhygin beasts and the IF Deluxe urban/suburban/rural assault vehicle. I have another project in the works, though want to wait until both Rhygin cycles are completed (and well ridden, too!!!!). Btw, I thought of getting a Fervor for a single speed project considering it has the horizontal drop-outs. I had a 1991 Klein Pinnacle XT back in 1991 and really liked it. We'll have to hook up for a single speed ride at some point.

Looking forward to Don's Reunion Ride this year again. I'm thinking he should throw at least 2 or 3 as so many people really seem to enjoy them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Braze-ons

Will Chris take off the top tube braze-ons (geared stuff)? I've considered converting an older steel bike to SS, but wasn't sure how it would look with the rear mech. braze-ons left on the frame. A couple Bonty's have been done but they haven't had theirs removed.

The welds on that frame are as clean as Fat Chance stuff from back in the day.

Looking forward to seeing the final SS build.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by 45ronin
    Will Chris take off the top tube braze-ons (geared stuff)? I've considered converting an older steel bike to SS, but wasn't sure how it would look with the rear mech. braze-ons left on the frame. A couple Bonty's have been done but they haven't had theirs removed.
    Yes, along with the horizontal dropouts being installed, all of the derailleur braze-ons will be removed and the triple cable guide will be replaced with a single cable guide. It'll look pretty clean that way and I can always have them reinstalled in case I want to convert it back to a multi-speed bike (doubtful, though).

The welds on that frame are as clean as Fat Chance stuff from back in the day.
    From what Chris Igleheart tells me (who actually had done work for Christian/Rhygin), it is likely that this frame was most likely welded by someone from Fat City. It's a small bike building world here in Boston, so I gather that's highly likely.

Looking forward to seeing the final SS build.
    Thanks! Me too!

underachiever

Back from paint

So, I brought the Rhygin to Toby Stanton back in late March for a fresh coat of paint and he contacted me this afternoon to inform me it was done. Needless to say, I set my status on my work computer to "Be Right Back" and made a bee line to Toby's shop. When I arrived, he was just preparing to buff the frame, so I got to chat with him while he performed that task. It looked pretty darn good before the buffing, and it looks spectacular now that it's done! Wow! The fades are really, really well done. It's getting dark, so I only took a few photos to highlight the Rhygin head badge and down tube. These used to be decals but Toby painted them on (per my request). Kudos to him for getting this right as he had to create these from scratch. Again, wow! I just need to decide what the heck to do with it now (it is not going to be a single speed, and will most likely be going back to period correctness)....

Attachment 544545

Attachment 544546

Attachment 544547

Attachment 544548

mtbr member
    very nice!

banned
    Beautiful paint job.

mtbr member
    I looked pretty darn good before the buffing
    And I'll bet you look even better now that you're all buff and everything...

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
    very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Steeljaws
    Beautiful paint job.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sho220
    And I'll bet you look even better now that you're all buff and everything...
    Damn my aging eyes and fat finger syndrome!

underachiever

underachiever

VRC Illuminati
    Nice. Now start hangin' parts!
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Well beautiful paint. I must admit though that if I saw you riding the bike on the trail, I would just assume you were stoned.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

underachiever
    Nice. Now start hangin' parts!
    Thanks! Toby Stanton really is quite talented and I highly recommend anyone wanting to get their bike painted. His reputation really does precede him.

The process has begun:

Attachment 544931

Quote Originally Posted by Aemmer
    Well beautiful paint. I must admit though that if I saw you riding the bike on the trail, I would just assume you were stoned.
    Thanks again! Well, I debated having the bike painted with the Fat Chance Team Violet, but my fiancee (wife 4 weeks from tomorrow; congrats to you, too!) convinced me to stick with the original paint scheme. Considering the rasta connection, it made sense. Plus, it keeps it original and I dig that.

VRC Illuminati
    You didn't have the fork painted to match while you were at it!?

Fail.
    -eric-

underachiever
    You didn't have the fork painted to match while you were at it!?

Fail.
    The fork is being replaced with an Igleheart traditional New England segmented fork, and I won't get that until July. I have a 953 650B frame/fork currently being built by Igleheart, so that takes priority at the moment (I was told it'll be ready in June, but I'm guessing July is a better estimate). For the time being, the Judy will have to do.

mtbr member
    Nice.

The seg fork would look hot with that paint scheme extended---red at the crown to yellow mid way down the legs. Maybe even red again at the ends, like how it goes back to green on either end of the seat tube.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y
    Nice.

The seg fork would look hot with that paint scheme extended---red at the crown to yellow mid way down the legs. Maybe even red again at the ends, like how it goes back to green on either end of the seat tube.
    Sounds good Nate but ever since you tried to match that red rack to the purple Fat I have to wonder about your choices in mixing colors............
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2 or 3. Cunningham Racer.

underachiever
    Nice.

Thanks! Well, as much as I would love to match the frame, I'm going with a solid red.

mtbr member
    Aemmer---haha. Well-deserved

Straight red will be sweet! So, component-wise are you going with a 3DV suite?

gobsmacked Moderator
    Are you going to put the Fat decal back on it?

underachiever
    Straight red will be sweet! So, component-wise are you going with a 3DV suite?
    Goodness no! Keeping the Kooka Racha green levers, though.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgirlonbike
    Are you going to put the Fat decal back on it?
    No. The decal was short-lived. It would be nice to have something that denotes it was made in Massachusetts (as all my bikes are), but I can live without it. Both Rhygin and Fat Chance were made in Somerville, MA (though Rhygin's were also made in Charlestown), so there was a connection for using the decal.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I'm confused. Weren't you having Igleheart convert this frame to single-speed? At any rate, I think it looks great.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    I'm confused. Weren't you having Igleheart convert this frame to single-speed? At any rate, I think it looks great.
    Initially that was the plan, though after much internal debate, I decided to keep the frame in tact and have Chris build up the aforementioned 953 650B single speed. Glad I kept the frame in its original design.

Hi.
    So you basically went through all that trouble just to have it repainted? Didn't look too bad to being with...

gobsmacked Moderator
    It kinda looks the same before and after but maybe I'm just not seeing it. Good job regardless.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by jtmartino
    So you basically went through all that trouble just to have it repainted? Didn't look too bad to being with...
    It was absolutely no trouble getting it painted. I called Toby and asked if he wanted to paint it and he obliged. And yeah, it didn't look all that bad with the original paint, though after close to 15 years of owning it I thought this was a nice treat for an old friend.

Quote Originally Posted by sfgirlonbike
    It kinda looks the same before and after but maybe I'm just not seeing it. Good job regardless.
    Thanks. The paint scheme looks exactly the same, but the quality is quite different (Note: The original paint quality was pretty amazing, though again, after 15 years it deserved an updating). It's quite stunning in person. Plus, I'm really digging the Rhygin logos painted on versus the old decals. It's a nice touch.
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 05-25-2010 at 05:52 AM.

underachiever
    So, I made some progress in getting the Ra built back up. Slapped on the near-NOS wheels I had from 1992 Yo Eddy! and like 'em a lot. Shimano DX hubs with Mavic 230 SBP rims. I actually have the original hubs coming back to me (Hershey titanium rear hub & XT front hub), but I'm digging the DX currently. Tires are temporary as I'm heading to Acadia this weekend and will be using it on the fire roads with my lovely fiancee. I have some Specialized Ground Controls I might slap on. Stopping the bike are some trusty old M-900 XTR cantilevers.

I'm running a 1 x 7 and am using a Shimano XTR (RD-M950) short cage derailleur with a cheap-o NOS HG50 13/23 cassette. The NOS Kooka crankset is attached to an NOS World Class titanium bottom bracket. Looking for a nice 36T Kooka chainring, so will keep my eye out for that.

The cockpit contains a nice Ritchey/Nitto 125mm/0 degree stem with some NOS Fat Bottom titanium bars. Threw on the Kooka Racha brake levers that graced it for the last 14 years and complemented those with the DX shifter.

The seat post and saddle will be replaced when I find the time to look (right now it has a Black Sheep titanium seat post with a Selle Italia SLR saddle). Would like a nice MRC titanium seat post. Wouldn't mind something other than a Flite for a saddle, but will probably cave and just throw one on.

Removed all the stickers from the fork and it looks nice. All of the elastomers were recently updated so it works okay.

That is all for now. Peace.

Attachment 545671

Attachment 545672

Attachment 545673

Attachment 545674

Attachment 545675

Attachment 545676

Visitor
    wow.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by hairstream
    wow.
    (thanks!)

I had to swap out the front cantilevers for my trusty old Shimano LX because the Speed Metal brake bolts on the XTR brakes finally bit the dust. The OEM bolts are too long so I'll need to cut them or find shorter ones.

Here's how it looks for the time being and prepped for my annual Memorial Day trek to Acadia:

Attachment 546275
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Outstanding as usual.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Consider this just a friendly suggestion but you may need to run either a front derailleur or a jump stop / bash guard.
    I know this because when i tried to run 1x7 on my NOS buck shaver it was fine on the road but as soon as I took it in the woods it started to drop the chain on big bumps. I'd hate to see you nick up that pretty new paint job unnecessarily.

underachiever

Counting Backwards

Quote Originally Posted by 993rs
    Outstanding as usual.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lucifer
    Consider this just a friendly suggestion but you may need to run either a front derailleur or a jump stop / bash guard.
    I know this because when i tried to run 1x7 on my NOS buck shaver it was fine on the road but as soon as I took it in the woods it started to drop the chain on big bumps. I'd hate to see you nick up that pretty new paint job unnecessarily.
    So far, I haven't had any issues with the chain dropping. I also ran a 1x8 on my Ted Wojcik and my IF Deluxe without any issues. If I come across any, I'll keep this in mind. I actually checked out the Paul Components Chain Keeper, and will grab one if problems arise.

Anyway, I've been preoccupied with my Igleheart 953 650B SS so haven't paid much attention to the Rhygin Ra, but it was a rainy day here in Boston so I took advantage of perfect weather for hanging out in my shop (a.k.a. the basement). I updated a few things to bring this beauty more into period correctness and here's the scoop:

1. A few years back, I sold the original wheels from this bike to a fellow VRC enthusiastic in my neck of the woods. He slapped then on his Bridgestone and traveled to some exotic destinations including singletrack in Cusco, Peru. I wrote him earlier this year to see how they wheels were holding up and also inquired if he ever wanted to sell them back. The wheels had served him well and he was ready to part with them so I bought them back (for the same price I sold them for). The rear wheel is a Hershey titanium hub with a Mavic SUP 217 rim (circa 1994 or so) and the front is a Shimano XT hub with an Araya RM-17 rim (circa 1991). I dismantled the wheels and recycled the rims on trash day. I built up the Hershey hub with an NOS Mavic M231 rim and it's quite nice. It still has the original (sealed) bearings and spins smoothly. The Shimano hub will get rebuilt in the future, though I'd love to find a matching Hershey titanium front hub. Right now, I have a nice Shimano DX front wheel with Mavic 230 SBP rim on the front.

2. Speaking of wheels, I was putting together a bunch of stuff to sell when I came across a set of Specialized Ground Control/Ground Control Extreme tires in the corner gathering dust. These were either in my 1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy! or my wife's 1992 Specialized Stumpjumper. They're very, very low mileage. They're actually in pretty good shape having really never been used.

3. Considering I changed the rear hub, I needed to change back to an 8-speed. I had a M900 12-28 cassette in my parts bin with very low mileage so on it went. I kept the DX shifters as they work just fine with the ghost click.

4. I replaced the green Kooka Racha brake levers with silver.

5. I had some NOS Ringle MoJo cable hangers in my stash so I thought this was as good a bike as any to receive them. I installed the green ones I had on before on my wife's bike because she really liked them. I like how they match the brake levers.

6. I replaced the NOS Fat Bottom titanium bars some Specialized handlebars that were on my Yo. I like the positioning of these better, although they're not as light as the titanium bars. Also, Bart Simpson is back on. I've had Bart since 1991 and he's been on the Rhygin ever since.

That's all for now. I have another set of Nuke Proof Twist Tight titanium skewers I'm going to put on, though I'd love to get my grubby paws on a set of silver Cook Bros. Racing Skewers.

Next on the list is to look for a seat post, saddle and 36T chainring. No idea exactly what I want yet, but have some ideas floating around.

Attachment 563960

Attachment 563961

Attachment 563962

Attachment 563963

Attachment 563964

Attachment 563965

Attachment 563966

Attachment 563967

Attachment 563968

Attachment 563969

mtbr member
    Nice!
    Is there enough pullable cable with those Mojos?
    And is the rear tire the right way round tread-wise?

underachiever
    Nice!
    Is there enough pullable cable with those Mojos?
    And is the rear tire the right way round tread-wise?
    Thanks! Yeah, I have enough cable as I run my pads very close to the rim. It only pulls the cable about 1/8 - 1/4 of an inch. As for the tires, I have no idea if they're on correctly. I just slapped them on so the logo was on the drive side.
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 08-23-2010 at 09:39 AM.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I noticed the properly aligned labels
    Is there a directional arrow?

underachiever

Fin

Yeah, I noticed the properly aligned labels
    Is there a directional arrow?
    I didn't see any directional markings, so hoping they haven't worn off with age!

So, I'm done with my only "vintage" bike for awhile. I recently installed the Nuke Proof Twist Tight skewers, Syncros titanium seatpost and Selle Italia Flite Titanium. When I first built up the bike back in 1996, it had all these components so it was nice to see it as it was back then. As for the rest of the bike, I'm digging it. I'll probably never ride with anything but modern tires, and like the 2.4" Continentals. It's adds an extra bit of cushion that the Judy no longer provides. The only thing left I would like to change is the chainring. I'd like to get a Kooka 36T chainring (or 32T), and will keep my eye out for one of those. The headset and brake pads aren't period correct, and that's okay.

The bike still handles amazingly. I feel it floats over the terrain. It can still catch me off guard and I'll go over the bars, but it keeps me on my toes.

Attachment 569132

Attachment 569133

Attachment 569134

Attachment 569135

Attachment 569136

Attachment 569137

Attachment 569138

Attachment 569139

Attachment 569140

Attachment 569141

-bustin punks
    Those Conti ProTections are about the closest thing I can find to a traditional skinwall these days.

Are the 2.4s really 2.4 ish, or are they more like 2.2s? I was considering a set for my 1990 Wicked. I know the 2.4s will fit in my new Igleheart fork (whenever its done...) not sure about clearance in back (although I sort of remember running Speccy 2.5s and Ritchey 2.35s on that bike back in the day).

FCTi

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti
    Those Conti ProTections are about the closest thing I can find to a traditional skinwall these days.
    Actually, that was one of the selling points when I bought them. They have sort of a retro look to them.

Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti
    Are the 2.4s really 2.4 ish, or are they more like 2.2s? I was considering a set for my 1990 Wicked. I know the 2.4s will fit in my new Igleheart fork (whenever its done...) not sure about clearance in back (although I sort of remember running Speccy 2.5s and Ritchey 2.35s on that bike back in the day).

FCTi
    They're on the narrow side. I initially bought 2.2s and they had so much clearance I jumped up to the 2.4s. The fattest I was able to fit on this was some Ritchey ZMax 2.35s (the red rubber version), so was crossing my fingers these would work. It's tight, but they fit nicely.

I'm heading up to Chris' at lunch to pick up some parts for my 953 650B SS so I'll tell him to pick up the pace. He wrote me this morning and said "7 cross frames exist & have to be finished as well as forks" so I gather your fork is on the To Do list.

-bustin punks

I'm heading up to Chris' at lunch to pick up some parts for my 953 650B SS so I'll tell him to pick up the pace. He wrote me this morning and said "7 cross frames exist & have to be finished as well as forks" so I gather your fork is on the To Do list.
    Yeah I knew I was in line after his run of cross frames. And actually he told me it'd be around the end of September anyway. I'm just anxious!

underachiever

red

So, I recently found some Ritchey Megabite ZMax tires in a 2.35" fitment and slapped then on just in time for a long weekend in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. They're in excellent condition and I'm excited to get in some trail time with these bad boys. This was my favorite tire back in the 1990s and I've been looking for a set for quite some time and am glad I got my grubby little paws on them. They're super grippy and are wonderful on the abundance of granite we have here in the Northeast.

Attachment 572927

Attachment 572928
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 12-23-2011 at 05:53 AM.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    Are you going to cover the drive-side chainstay?

artistic...
    you love this bike. it shows and that's freakin great.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sweet!

underachiever
    Are you going to cover the drive-side chainstay?
    No.

Quote Originally Posted by Killer V 900
    Sweet!
    you love this bike. it shows and that's freakin great.
    Thanks! I have ridden this bike for the past 15 years and it's still an amazing ride. We had wicked nice weather up here in the northeast for the long weekend. As I mentioned, my wife & I (& chihuahua) headed up to the White Mountains as an invitation was extended to join our friends that own a place in Bartlett. Saturday was reserved for the inaugural Super Bear ride, a ride my friend had mapped out. It was just the two of us and the ride started out on pavement for the first 10 miles, the last 4 of which has 1200 feet of climbing. Once off of Bear Notch Road, we headed into what's called the Rob Brook Area. Not many folks realize there's quite a bit of fantastic mountain biking in the Whites. It's known more for road biking (and hiking & skiing of course). We actually took a scenic vista break and spoke with some roadies who asked if there was any good off-road biking in the area and we told them about our ride.

Rob Brook is a mix of single track on old railroad grades, logging roads and ski trails. There's quite a bit of diversity in this specific area. Mostly smooth single track, but some nice technical bits, too. Headed down to the Kancamagus to a wonderful trail called the Nanamocomuck. Super twisty and fast. Took a nice break at the Albany Covered Bridge and got back on pavement before the next trail section. It was nice to get some sun and warm up a bit.

We scooted up onto a gravel road and climbed up to the Mineral Site Trail, which is shared with hikers. Hooked up with Red's Trail which had some really fun switchbacks. This goes behind two very popular climbing areas called White Horse Ledge and Cathedral Ledge. The trail is also east of the Moats, a really nice range with some great hiking trails. The trail ends at the Cathedral Ledge parking lot and we had about 5 miles on the road to get home. I was really spent as was my buddy. We shared a Clif Bar and wolfed it down and made the best of riding on am empty tank. Beer awaited us as well as a great dinner.

Quite frankly, this was the best ride I've done in like the last decade. It was 43 miles total. The Rhygin handled admirably. It was geared pretty well for this ride (36 x 12:28; 1x8) and I only had to walk in a couple of short sections (as did my friend with his Specialized Epic with 27 gears). I went over the bars twice as the leaves that blanketed the forest hid some deep mud that arrested my momentum in short order (both times going over logs).

Anyway, if you're ever in the northeast, I highly recommend this area. We only saw one other group of mountain bikers, so you have the place pretty much to yourself. I had only ridden up in the Whites a couple of times in the past, once recently, but the time before that was in 1996 (on the Rhygin, too). I have the map I bought from the local bike shop and it's hand drawn. Pretty funny. I just bought two maps of the areas we rode in and they're much more detailed these days.

Edit: The tires did a great job on this epic ride. Quite painful on the pavement, as they're super squishy. Everything else was dreamy. They performed just as I remembered. I like the 2.3s as they give some nice cushion and the tread throws mud and debris nicely. The tires also give great grip for climbing. Really happy these are back on the Rhygin!
    Last edited by misterdangerpants; 10-12-2010 at 08:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Any pics of the rides? Sounds awesome. I've only hiked up that way, and not in the idyllic weather you had last weekend. Have the leaves reached critical mass yet?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1994 Rhygin Ra-mtwash.jpg  

underachiever
    Any pics of the rides? Sounds awesome. I've only hiked up that way, and not in the idyllic weather you had last weekend. Have the leaves reached critical mass yet?
    No photos of the ride as I'm not much of a shutterbug on rides. The foliage is about a week or two away from peak. Mother Nature gave us some nice colors and they were brilliant in the late afternoon light. Mount Washington is covered in snow, and I'm crossing my fingers there will be an abundance of snow this coming winter.

Very nice build.

How are you liking the combination of a bike with a shorter top tube and longer stem versus a more modern type set up of longer top tube and shorter stem? Any difference in handling versus your bikes of a more recent vintage?

I ask because I am considering a rebuild of an early 90s steel frame I've had for years, but am concerned about returning to the days of long stems. My current bike has a 23.38 tt and 110mm stem and the old bike has a 22.6 tt with an 18 seat tube. I have had a 120mm stem on there for years, but it doesn't quite feel right compared to the newer bike.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by lawhoo
    Very nice build.

How are you liking the combination of a bike with a shorter top tube and longer stem versus a more modern type set up of longer top tube and shorter stem? Any difference in handling versus your bikes of a more recent vintage?

I ask because I am considering a rebuild of an early 90s steel frame I've had for years, but am concerned about returning to the days of long stems. My current bike has a 23.38 tt and 110mm stem and the old bike has a 22.6 tt with an 18 seat tube. I have had a 120mm stem on there for years, but it doesn't quite feel right compared to the newer bike.
    you need a 135 stem! and a 63mm travel fork...

you need a 135 stem! and a 63mm travel fork...
    Haha, too true. I still have the 130mm Syncros stem I saved up to buy working a job after high school 15 years ago. I also remember pouring over the Rhygin brochure during study hall, waiting to break out to ride the local park in the afternoon.

underachiever
    Very nice build.

Thanks!

The Rhygin has a 22.2" effective top and I really like the design. I pretty much have always run a 125mm stem and never felt I was too far over the wheel. It feel perfect. Both my 2009 IF Deluxe and 2010 Igleheart 953 650B SS were designed after the Rhygin, though with a 100mm stem in mind, and these are my only modern mountain bikes. I like the 100mm much better, though I'm also running a 1" riser handlebar. Anyway, I can't really comment on the longer top tube and shorter stem scenario as I've never really had any experience with that setup.

I briefly ran a 135mm Ibis titanium stem, as you can see in the first series, and that was way too long. After one ride, I took it off.

I briefly ran a 135mm Ibis titanium stem, as you can see in the first series, and that was way too long. After one ride, I took it off.
    That's exactly what happened with the 130mm Syncros stem I tried 15 years ago. I special ordered it and it turned out to way too long.

When you went with the custom builds using the 100mm stems, how long were the effective top tubes? The same as the Rhygin?

I gotta say that for East Coast climbing the chainstays on the Rhygin are pretty sick. I used to ride up in New Jersey and the only thing close on the trails at that time besides an EWR was the original Spooky Darkside. I really like 16.5 inches and shorter chainstays.

underachiever
    That's exactly what happened with the 130mm Syncros stem I tried 15 years ago. I special ordered it and it turned out to way too long.

When you went with the custom builds using the 100mm stems, how long were the effective top tubes? The same as the Rhygin?

I gotta say that for East Coast climbing the chainstays on the Rhygin are pretty sick. I used to ride up in New Jersey and the only thing close on the trails at that time besides an EWR was the original Spooky Darkside. I really like 16.5 inches and shorter chainstays.
    Both the IF & Igleheart have effective top tube measurements of 565mm (22.2"). The Rhygin is right at 22" even. With the 16.5" chainstays, it's a nimble little creature.

Speaking of stems, I removed the paint from the Control Tech 125mm stem that was original to this bike. I like the bare aluminum and plan to install it this weekend.

Attachment 574973

underachiever
    So, I've been busy cleaning up my shop and purging quite a few things as well as moving things around. I swapped out the Shimano XTR RD-M950 rear derailleur with the Precision Billet/Proshift that was on my Rhygin Metax CX. The Metax is being converted to a road-specific ride so a few things are being replaced and updated. Anyway, I like the look of the Precision Billet/Proshift on the Rhygin as it goes quite nicely with the other shiny silver bits.

Attachment 576264
    Attachment 576265

Gratuitous shot of the Rhygin prior to the dismantling.

Attachment 576266

taste death, live life.
    I see you are doing a big purge on that online auction site. Have you dialed in this and your 650B bike?

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by super_stein
    I see you are doing a big purge on that online auction site. Have you dialed in this and your 650B bike?
    This bike is pretty much as I'd like it, though I'm still on the prowl for a 36T Kooka chainring. Also, if I come across a NOS period correct headset in silver that strikes my fancy, I might install it. I have a couple of 650B bikes in the stable at the moment. The 953 650B SS is definitely dialed in, though is going back next month to the builder to have some issues worked out. My IF Deluxe 650B conversion, a bike I've actually posted in this forum, will be ready next week from the guys at Circle A Cycles. That's going to be a keeper! I have everything except the derailleurs, so I have something to research this weekend.

taste death, live life.
    This bike is pretty much as I'd like it, though I'm still on the prowl for a 36T Kooka chainring. Also, if I come across a NOS period correct headset in silver that strikes my fancy, I might install it. I have a couple of 650B bikes in the stable at the moment. The 953 650B SS is definitely dialed in, though is going back next month to the builder to have some issues worked out. My IF Deluxe 650B conversion, a bike I've actually posted in this forum, will be ready next week from the guys at Circle A Cycles. That's going to be a keeper! I have everything except the derailleurs, so I have something to research this weekend.
    Your constant buying and purging parts entertains me. I do the same thing, but ship everything to work in Concord, NH to keep it on the DL. I have also seen some of your parts go via the Boston craigslist.

I was keeping track of your 953 build on the SS forum. How did the VT50 go? My last hurrah for the VT50 was in 2007 on my singlespeed converted Iron Horse. It was my fastest time in the six years I did that race (all the previous events were on multiple gear bikes).

underachiever
    Your constant buying and purging parts entertains me. I do the same thing, but ship everything to work in Concord, NH to keep it on the DL. I have also seen some of your parts go via the Boston craigslist.
    It entertains my wife, too. I have a revolving door of sorts with bikes parts.

I was keeping track of your 953 build on the SS forum. How did the VT50 go? My last hurrah for the VT50 was in 2007 on my singlespeed converted Iron Horse. It was my fastest time in the six years I did that race (all the previous events were on multiple gear bikes).
    The Vermont 50 was a hoot! Very nice day, overcast and just warm enough. A touch of color was in the hills. The conditions were super dry, a contrast from last year which was quite the opposite. I was happy with the gearing (32/21), though will run a 2x9 next time. I treated the Vermont 50 like the D2R2: a nice long ride with fantastic support stations (loved the grill cheese at mile 40!!!!). Here's me right before the finish line. I could taste the beer already....

Attachment 576303

taste death, live life.
    It entertains my wife, too. I have a revolving door of sorts with bikes parts.

The Vermont 50 was a hoot! Very nice day, overcast and just warm enough. A touch of color was in the hills. The conditions were super dry, a contrast from last year which was quite the opposite. I was happy with the gearing (32/21), though will run a 2x9 next time. I treated the Vermont 50 like the D2R2: a nice long ride with fantastic support stations (loved the grill cheese at mile 40!!!!). Here's me right before the finish line. I could taste the beer already....

Attachment 576303
    I hated the D2R2. My buddy convinced me to do it, but failed to mention the navigation format of the event. I showed up and they were like - "Here are your directions." Me - "Crap!"

mtbr member
    May 2006
    look what I found!

Rhygin team bike by way of the Merlin dumpster, have a old fat chance fork to throw on it. Will try to get some more pics up tomorrow.
    Last edited by alexi; 10-30-2010 at 08:43 PM.

underachiever
    Quote Originally Posted by alexi
    look what I found! Rhygin team bike by way of the Merlin dumpster, have a old fat chance fork to throw on it. Will try to get some more pics up tomorrow.
    Wow, cool! I'm guessing you acquired this back when Merlin was still located in Massachusetts? Definitely post more photos when you get a chance, especially of the completed build. The seat stays and cable guides don't match the traditional Rhygin design so possibly the race bikes had their own design.

I was over in Ace Wheelworks earlier this year and spotted a red Rhygin Ra hanging. When I initially saw this, I thought it may have been the same bike.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I was over in Ace Wheelworks earlier this year and spotted a red Rhygin Ra hanging. When I initially saw this, I thought it may have been the same bike.
    yup this is the red rhygin that was hanging at ace, when i get the rest of the story out of some folks i'll post the history of the bike.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    My name is Antoine, and I approve of this thread.

underachiever
    yup this is the red rhygin that was hanging at ace, when i get the rest of the story out of some folks i'll post the history of the bike.
    Ah, yes, it looked familiar. Randall showed me it. He didn't show me the rear wheel, though. That I would have picked up!

My name is Antoine, and I approve of this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    [QUOTE=misterdangerpants]Ah, yes, it looked familiar. Randall showed me it. He didn't show me the rear wheel, though. That I would have picked up!

hmmm well it technically was not for sale when it was hanging at ace.

underachiever
    hmmm well it technically was not for sale when it was hanging at ace.
    For a price, everything is for sale.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    For a price, everything is for sale.
    it's not the first time didi has tried to sell my stuff.

Ok so I'm not sure who raced it, but it was built by Chris (not the owner of Rhgin, but a builder) who some either raced it himself or ended back with it when he moved over to building for Merlin. When he left Merlin it ended up in the dumpster, another Merlin employee snagged it and it sat in his house for 10 or so years.

The fork I got from jay of ti smiths (I think it was ti smiths?), he says the fork was built by a chance for a chance employee by Igleheart. Igleheart says he could have made it but y'know so long ago and all that.

it's got a mix of 9 speede xtr/xt components going on it, a white brothers ti bar, salsa stem and seatpost ect. I need to find a base plate for the xtr headset i have or it's gonna get a pretty schwappy ritchey.

underachiever
    it's not the first time didi has tried to sell my stuff.

Ok so I'm not sure who raced it, but it was built by Chris (not the owner of Rhgin, but a builder) who some either raced it himself or ended back with it when he moved over to building for Merlin. When he left Merlin it ended up in the dumpster, another Merlin employee snagged it and it sat in his house for 10 or so years.

The fork I got from jay of ti smiths (I think it was ti smiths?), he says the fork was built by a chance for a chance employee by Igleheart. Igleheart says he could have made it but y'know so long ago and all that.
    It was most likely built by Chris Igleheart. He worked for Christian, and actually acquired all of the Rhygin tools when they went belly-up. Drop him a line as I'm sure he'd remember building a team bike.

Anyway, looking good so far!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0