mountaingoatcycles.com

1994 Retrotec Fat Bike with All Weather Sports rims

I bought this frame many years ago at the Denver Veloswap. It was in bad shape so we had it powder coated white and original built it up with a mix of black parts (it was a pretty sad non-period-correct which crappy parts build). We had looked at it over the years and couldn't figure out how to fix it. Recently, we got a pair of All Weather Sports double rims and finally figured out what to do with the bike. The frame and rims were from the same era (likely late 1993/early 1994) so we tried to correct some of the mis-matched parts. Sounds like the rims were from the first 200 sets with the rims being welded together followed by grinding out the center walls. Tires are Ritchey 2.35" Z-Max.

More pictures @ MOMBAT: 1994 Retrotec

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Sweet!

Schipperkes are cool.
    damn those are some early rims!
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

mtbr member
    I really need to make it out to Statesville some time to see all these great bikes.

Are they actually displayed in some way that is accessible to the public?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    nice!

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by classen View Post
    I really need to make it out to Statesville some time to see all these great bikes.

Are they actually displayed in some way that is accessible to the public?
    Yep, about 100 hanging from the ceiling out front, 50 racked in the back and 200+ upstairs. All the components and accessories are in cases for easy viewing. Catalogs and magazines are all organized and you could spend weeks just flipping through them.........don't ask how I know

Team Brooklyn
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    Catalogs and magazines are all organized and you could spend weeks just flipping through them.........don't ask how I know
    You mean the ones you haven't sold to me!

BTW - thanks for the latest delivery. I still haven't gone through the coffin-sized box of magazines I bought from you some months back, but I enjoy digging one out and reliving the past excitement of "New Products" and "Spy Cam" photos.
    Wanted: more of the same ... but different

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    Yep, about 100 hanging from the ceiling out front, 50 racked in the back and 200+ upstairs. All the components and accessories are in cases for easy viewing. Catalogs and magazines are all organized and you could spend weeks just flipping through them.........don't ask how I know
    can you please expand upon this?? for those of us that dont know...sounds like a cool place...bike shop?

T.I.A

mtbr member
    Maybe you've heard of this place called MOMBAT (Museum Of Mountain Bike Art and Technology)?

if not check it out:

MOMBAT

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    ya...thanks...I guess I just didnt realize that it was an actual place that has all these bikes to see.
    my immpression was that it was bikes from other's collections that have been accepted into it to show everyone else.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by syklystt View Post
    ya...thanks...I guess I just didnt realize that it was an actual place that has all these bikes to see.
    my immpression was that it was bikes from other's collections that have been accepted into it to show everyone else.
    All the bikes pictured are bikes that we have owned. Not too many escape, so most are still at the shop. Sitting at 350-375 or so right now.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I just love those OG Retrotecs. I met an old hippy riding a black Retrotec with polished Seismic hubs (anybody remember those) at one of the Southridge winter series races in Fontana, CA over 10 years ago. That bike was so sweet.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Thats great news about the shop with all the VRC bikes, I'll have to get there one of these days to spend some time...

I do like the retrotec, very nice job on the build...how does it ride?
    The only one i ever saw is still in my mind like the day it happened...i think it was at a 94 norba national in traverse city...i was practicing for the downhill even on my 2" travel full suspension proflex....boing!...got a couplefew pics of me on it somewhere....was when Bobke was on the national team.....i stopped halfway down the hill because of a buch of folks standing around...it was sterling lawerance taking photos of mike king, fuzzy hall and some dude on a retrotec....they were sessioning a jump that went into the trees....up to that point, i had never witnessed such riding...i was sooo impressed....the guy on the retrotec was going 2x the distance of the other guys and getting huge air(he was on hardtail mike on GT full sus and fuzzy on mongoos/amp fs)....was a great time...pics from that session ended up in GT ads soon after....mike king was the man at the time.