mtbr member
    May 2018

1994 Killer V 900 advice

3rd times the charm I guess... ugh

Recently posted this in the wrong forum... twice, sorry.

A few weeks ago some sub-human garbage broke into my garage and stole my Trail 3. After some whiskey and a few hours trolling the internet for a replacement, I got sidetracked and found my favorite cannondale frame ever. It wa
    s dirt cheep and local so I impulse purchased the hell out of it. Its the beautiful Killer V, and I have zero regrets.

My plan is to turn this into a bike for light local trails and all around fun having (I will eventually replace my lost Trail 3 with a full suspension, but thats a horse of a different color). I already have most of the parts I wanted to upgrade on the killer V; wheels, breaks, and as someone already pointed out on the previous thread, a shorter stem... I also want to put a suspension fork
    on it, but I have had little luck finding a 1 1/4" straight tube fork.

The headtube on the frame is 1 1/4" non-tapered (1994 killer v), I was looking at a fork with a 1 1/8" straight stem. Found some options in reducers online, and I was just wondering if any on you guys have used these reducers before. Is there any brands or styles that work better than others. This is my first old
    school bike rebuild and any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I am not offending anyone here by dismantling this beauty, but if it is any consolation I am keeping all the stock parts i bought it with just in case it wants to be original again. Here is a picture of my new love. Thank you!

1994 Killer V 900 advice-killer-v.jpg

Just A Mountain Biker.
    Quote Originally Posted by old bike new life View Post
    3rd times the charm I guess... ugh

Recently posted this in the wrong forum... twice, sorry.

A few weeks ago some sub-human garbage broke into my garage and stole my Trail 3. After some whiskey and a few hours trolling the internet for a replacement, I got sidetracked and found my favorite cannondale frame ever. It wa
    s dirt cheep and local so I impulse purchased the hell out of it. Its the beautiful Killer V, and I have zero regrets.

My plan is to turn this into a bike for light local trails and all around fun having (I will eventually replace my lost Trail 3 with a full suspension, but thats a horse of a different color). I already have most of the parts I wanted to upgrade on the killer V; wheels, breaks, and as someone already pointed out on the previous thread, a shorter stem... I also want to put a suspension fork
    on it, but I have had little luck finding a 1 1/4" straight tube fork.

The headtube on the frame is 1 1/4" non-tapered (1994 killer v), I was looking at a fork with a 1 1/8" straight stem. Found some options in reducers online, and I was just wondering if any on you guys have used these reducers before. Is there any brands or styles that work better than others. This is my first old
    school bike rebuild and any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I am not offending anyone here by dismantling this beauty, but if it is any consolation I am keeping all the stock parts i bought it with just in case it wants to be original again. Here is a picture of my new love. Thank you!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	killer v.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	1202492
    I would suggest looking at a Chris King Devolution headset, that will reduce from 1.5 to 1.125. Pricey, but you'll never need another headset.
    MTBR: Your dad's online mountain bike forum.

mtbr member
    I've used reducers in the past. They work fine. Reducers that extend further into the frame are probably better, as long as your frame's head tube allows them.

Going with reducers will let you use any headset of the appropriate size.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.