Thread: 1993 MB 2 Catch

mtbr member

1993 MB 2 Catch

I picked this one up last week locally, wish it was bit bit taller but what a nice bike and fork.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1993 MB 2 Catch-image.jpg  

1993 MB 2 Catch-image.jpg  

slow
    Nice headset.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Very nice ride. Especially still have the crowned fork unbent. Is it all XTR?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    Very nice ride. Especially still have the crowned fork unbent. Is it all XTR?
    No it has all original xt components, specialized crankset and ritchey stem but I put this one on to make it work for me. Are these forks prone to getting bent ?

GMF
    Mmm... Tasty
    Yes - one of only 2 forks I've bent in 20 years of riding. Very nice riding fork, but I only used it for like a month before killing it, back in '94 or so.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    If you are even remotely heavy, 165-170LBS or if you ride at all hard pull that fork off of it. It was one of the really sad moments in MTB history. It is a gorgeous fork but unfortunately there was a production mistake in the wall thickness of the legs of the fork. Over time they will definitely fail, either through bending of cracking.

My first one was like GMF, I think I actually lasted a week with it. Was devastated since it was the first really nice frameset I ever had (and still have). I have another 93 MB1 that I built up for my mom as a gravel trail cruiser and she has thousands of miles on hers but she weighs 130lbs soaking wet.

The very best thing you can do is find a red Ritchey Logic fork that will match that bike perfectly and put that on. You can then keep the crowned fork to use as a display piece later if you want to. If you plan to ride it though, get that off there or you will definitely bed or break it with even standard usage.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    If you are even remotely heavy, 165-170LBS or if you ride at all hard pull that fork off of it. It was one of the really sad moments in MTB history. It is a gorgeous fork but unfortunately there was a production mistake in the wall thickness of the legs of the fork. Over time they will definitely fail, either through bending of cracking.

My first one was like GMF, I think I actually lasted a week with it. Was devastated since it was the first really nice frameset I ever had (and still have). I have another 93 MB1 that I built up for my mom as a gravel trail cruiser and she has thousands of miles on hers but she weighs 130lbs soaking wet.

The very best thing you can do is find a red Ritchey Logic fork that will match that bike perfectly and put that on. You can then keep the crowned fork to use as a display piece later if you want to. If you plan to ride it though, get that off there or you will definitely bed or break it with even standard usage.
    I was not planning on riding it hard or even doing any kind of trail riding other then flat fire roads. The main purpose of this bike now was going to be a neighborhood cruiser and camping bike. Do you guys think even street riding will harm this ? Plus I'm a 230 lbs 49 year old so not a daredevil anymore.
    Great information though, thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    At 230 lbs you will kill that fork hitting a pot hole, riding over a curb, etc. Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings on it there. I killed mine when I was only 170ish pounds.

mtbr member
    So what I'm getting here is that Bridgestone put a fork on a MTB that's less strong then one they put on thieir road bikes ?I've been riding a rb 1 for a while now with no problems, now take it I don't make it a habit of hitting potholes or curbs, but have put a lot of miles on it with no issues.

mtbr member
    Nice bike!

I keep reading these warnings about this fork and, though I don't doubt that they are based on sincere, actual experiences, I'd say "don't worry about it so much." I've been riding a previously owned and well-used '93 MB-1 (with the same fork) for a few years now, and my fork is still intact. I'm 6'-2" / 200 and started out being ginger with it - just because of all these warnings - but I don't worry about it any more. (I rode it off-road for about an hour yesterday, in fact.) I don't "huck meat" on this bike, but I don't hold back, either.

I DID end up installing some bars with a slight riser to them, which took some weight off the front end and probably reduced the stress on the front end, and I may take this idea further yet. (It made it more comfortable for an old guy, too.) You might consider something similar if yours is on the small size. [ edit: Looks like you already have a taller, aftermarket stem, on second look.]

YMMV, so take this advice with an implicit disclaimer....
    We still hang bike thieves in Wyoming [Pedal House]

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    It was not purposeful. What happened way back when was they decided to move away from the Ritchey Logic fork on their mountain bikes and build the crowned fork that you have on that MB2. They did it to be unique and because they loved lugs and crowns. So they built out the specs on the fork and had it manufactured.

I can't remember off the top of my head who built it for them but I think it was Tange. Anyways, somewhere in there either in what they spec'd for the tubing size for the fork legs or in what the manufacturer used tubing wise was slightly too thin. This caused the forks to be prone to failure. It was not on purpose and they were absolutely crushed to think that something they were so proud of ended up not having the strength they had meant it to have. As a result they were providing money back to each person that had a fork issue.

When I had mine fail, I contacted them and they actually wrote me a check for the fork. I then in turn sourced a Pearl White 92 MB1 Ritchey Logic fork instead and used that on my '93 frame. Basically made my frame look to be a '92 MB1 since they had the same paint color.

For yours, you will find quite a few red Logic forks around that will match the same red color of your frame.

Ultimately for the usage you noted, you might be fine, especially if you tend to "ride light" but was it me with your weight I would likely swap it out.

Ritchey bi-plane fork repair/rebuild: Anyone interested?

Here is an example of what can happen to them. Just my take, but dental work is expensive.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Iamkeith brings up a very valid point on the shift in the weight with a stem change. Mine was a 5 degree rise, 130 or 135MM and I was in my twenties at the time with more b@lls than brains.......

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by mingodog View Post
    I was not planning on riding it hard or even doing any kind of trail riding other then flat fire roads. The main purpose of this bike now was going to be a neighborhood cruiser and camping bike. Do you guys think even street riding will harm this ? Plus I'm a 230 lbs 49 year old so not a daredevil anymore.
    Great information though, thanks.
    I hope you're 6'5"!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I hope you're 6'5"!
    Something wrong with being 49 and pushing 230 junior?
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Oh wait,
    Nevermind:

At least the Biplane held up.
    Seek: Koski Trailmaster. Breezer Series 2, or 3. Fillet brazed Ibis Custom. Cunningham Racer. Otis Guy (but not that softride model). That's all I need I don't need anything else... except... except for an old Mountain Goat bar stem combo. And that's all I need. I don't need anything else. Except.....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I hope you're 6'5"!
    Nope just 6ft ! If you have to know....