Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1993 Klein Attitude Cosmic

7K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  LARRYJO 
#1 ·
So here it is.
I have found out more about it.
The fella I bought it from raced road bikes in the mid to late 80's and was friends with a Klein Factory Road Racer who also worked for Klein.
About 1995, Joe(the guy I bought it from), wanted to get a bike he could ride around his newly acquired farm. His old friend, the Klein guy, said he had a bike that he could have in trade for a Cervelo that Joe had. They traded and that is that.
You can tell that it was a "employee" frameset by the hole in the dropout.
It also has the name of the "employee" on the drop.
OPIE was his nickname because, supposedly, he looked like the character from The Andy Williams show.
The paint is very cool. Much better then I thought it would be.
There are a couple of things that are strange.
The 1st is that there is RED under the paint. You can see it where the paint is chipped or scratched. Did the frame start as a different color?
2nd is that the rear brake hole looks larger, like they wanted V's but it is not big enough for a cable. Is that wear?
I would love to source a all Green or Turquoise kit. I think that would really highlight the paint but for now it will get full XTR M900.
The 1st pic shows what it looked like when I got it home.
Can you believe the guy had the seatpost in with only 2" left. I can't believe the seattube was not cracked.:eekster:
Cheers.

Attachments

See less See more
#10 ·
They did a job on a Klein years back when I was a wrench at a local LBS. I love their stuff, but this one they botched; I ended up taking it apart and shipping it back to Cyclart for repainting at their own cost.

They sent it back two months later, and of course looked great. I made my own press to put the headset bearings in, first and only time so far!

#16 · (Edited)
Mavic had some anodized green rims they were selling in the past that might look cool on it. (or maybe try some dark blue ones?) Also Velocity of Australia had some of the V rims in lots of colors. I had a friend take a bunch of parts to an anodizing shop once to do a custom color and it wasn't that expensive and everything looked brand new when they were done. May be something else to consider to get parts the color you want but not sure how expensive it is in todays' dollars.

Attached are photos of my rear brake set-up. The cable end housing piece is one from a local bike shop, looks like a normal cable end but with and additional smaller center section to funnel it down into hole and keep it centered.

Attachments

#18 ·
So here is how my Attitude sits as of today.
I really wanted all XTR M900 but when I fitted the crank it turned out that my spindle was too long so I went with the Green Kooka.
I do like the Ano as it goes with the tires and paint but..........
I also changed the saddle back to the black Flite.
I am going to try and take better photos to really show off the paint but this will have to do for now.
Thoughts?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.