Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1993 Diamondback Trasverse Rear Derailleur

6K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  irieite 
#1 · (Edited)
1993 Diamondback Traverse Rear Derailleur

Ok, now I know this never was a stout bike, but my parents bought it for me new back in 1993 and every time they stop by or I visit them, it seems like the first thing the ask me is "how's the bike" .

Anyway, I'm trying to upgrade it to an 8 speed rear (up from the stock 6 speed) and I've got all the parts procured, other than the rear derailleur. I'm not sure what 8 speed rear derailleur I need for this old-school bike. The stock unit is hooked around the axle stud, with a screw into the frame just to the left oft the axle. I've attached a photo.

What I need to know is whether or not I need some sort of adapter, or if there is a currently available 8 speed derailleur that will fit my frame.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
that's old school!

irieite said:
Ok, now I know this never was a stout bike, but my parents bought it for me new back in 1993 and every time they stop by or I visit them, it seems like the first thing the ask me is "how's the bike" .

Anyway, I'm trying to upgrade it to an 8 speed rear (up from the stock 6 speed) and I've got all the parts procured, other than the rear derailleur. I'm not sure what 8 speed rear derailleur I need for this old-school bike. The stock unit is hooked around the axle stud, with a screw into the frame just to the left oft the axle. I've attached a photo.

What I need to know is whether or not I need some sort of adapter, or if there is a currently available 8 speed derailleur that will fit my frame.
It was fairly common to have this set up on lower end road bikes prior to the early 80s. That is an old school set up. Anyway, no higher end MTB derailler ever came with set up. You maybe able to try and use the integrated hanger with a newer derailler and see if it might somehow be made to work. Or better yet, try that one and see how it does with an 8-speed.

#4 ·
Maybe I'll try the old one, once I get everything including the shifters later this week, but I'd rather get a nicer (read newer) derailleur if I could.. Does anyone have experience with using a higher level gearset with a lower level derailleur?

#6 ·
Shayne said:
You can order a bolt on hanger like the one that is built into your derailleur, however it will have a regular threaded hole so you can attach any derailleur to it. They cost about $10.
many deraillers came with adapter style derailler back in the day. your local bike shop should have a box of old deraillers and parts. most likely the piece you need it attatched to a derailler in that box. they'll probably just give it to you if you ask nicely.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.