mtbr member
    Jun 2011

1992 supercaliber rebuild help!!!

Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum and was hoping you guys could help me out!

I have a 1992 gray gary fisher supercaliber with rock shox and was wanting to rebuild it. I can't find any manuals on it for the specs of the parts.

Basically what I want to do is rebuild it with new parts, pretty much just using the frame and wheels. Is it possible that I can find new parts that will be compatible with this frame? I have never rebuilt a bike but I can't wait to start this project. I'm quite mechanically inclined so I think I am up to the challenge!

If anyone can please help me with some suggestions on how I might be able to find out the specs on the bike so I can get some new components that would fit, I'd greatly appreciate it!

thanks in advance!!!

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Here's the catalog for the 92 Fisher line.

Hopefully you'll find your answers here.

http://mombat.org/Fisher_Specs.htm

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Hey thank you!

I ran across that spec sheet as well, so would I just get the measurements of those parts and then try to find new parts with same (or compatible) measurements?

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SMS1177 View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm brand new to this forum and was hoping you guys could help me out!

I have a 1992 gray gary fisher supercaliber with rock shox and was wanting to rebuild it. I can't find any manuals on it for the specs of the parts.

Basically what I want to do is rebuild it with new parts, pretty much just using the frame and wheels. Is it possible that I can find new parts that will be compatible with this frame? I have never rebuilt a bike but I can't wait to start this project. I'm quite mechanically inclined so I think I am up to the challenge!

If anyone can please help me with some suggestions on how I might be able to find out the specs on the bike so I can get some new components that would fit, I'd greatly appreciate it!

thanks in advance!!!
    It shouldn't be too hard. I assume you wish to rebuild with "modern" new parts. You may run into trouble using the old wheels depending on the hub on the rear. It may not be compatable with modern 9 speed cassettes so you may have to use 8 speed and that will limit your derailler options and shifter options. You could always just get a new rear wheel. The bb shell spacing should be ok with most modern bottom brackets and cranks.

The supercal's were really nice frames but you may find yourself in a real money pit. You may want to think about just buying a modern hardtail. Depending on how far you want to take it rebuilding this bike could be far more expensive than just buying a new or lightly used late model hardtail. Either way post a few photos, I would like to see it.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for the suggestion. I am looking unto putting in "modern" parts. I'm honestly not into getting expensive top of the line equipment so I think I can make this happen without spending as much as it would cost for a new bike. Part of the reason I'm wanting to rebuild is for the experience and fun of the project so I'd like to stick to that route. I'll try as get pics up soon! Also is there a guide of some sort or something to find out if or how particular new parts will be compatible with the frame or not?

artistic...
    Build it w/ vintage parts: cheaper and way more class.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    You really need the drivetrain parts to be compatible with each other, not the frame.

The parts that you need to be compatible with the frame is the seatpost, front derailleur, headset, forks, and possibly brakes.

Maybe you should read Zinn and the Art of Mountain Bike Maintenance before you begin so you get an idea of what you're doing. Sheldon Brown is also a good resource.

Certified Bike Junkie
    I have a 91 Supercaliper which I'm assuming is the same as the 92 because the listed specs are the same. These frames have a couple peculiarities that are going to complicate your project. Not deal breakers, but things to take into consideration.

1. Evolution 1-1/4 head tube. Will require either rebuilding your existing fork, finding or piecing together another fork, or getting reducer shims to fit a 1-1/8 headset and fork. Also, I don't think these frames were suspension corrected, so fitting anything more than an early short travel fork is going to be pushing the limits of the geometry.

2. The bottom bracket is an odd set up that used press in bearings similar to others at the time, but the shell was unusually wide, 86mm if memory serves. Again, not a deal breaker. You could probably get by with using the existing bottom bracket and cranks and replacing the bearings, but if you wanted to update the cranks, finding a suitable bottom bracket spindle might be a problem.

3. According to the spec sheet it was equipped with 7 speed Suntour components. If you in fact have a 7-speed Suntour rear hub and cassette, your wheel will not be compatible with any "modern" components, as Suntour used a different spline pattern on their hubs and you couldn't fit more than a seven speed cassette on a seven speed hub anyway. So, you will have to update the wheels at the same time as everything else.

Not an impossible project, but not the easiest bike to update either. Good luck.
    Last edited by muddybuddy; 06-17-2011 at 12:21 PM.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

Master of the Face Plant
    Feb 2004
    Muddy brings up some good points. I forgot they used press fit bottom brackets. It would be easier to build it up with some proper retro parts. Seems like you are into the project for the right reasons. The building process is half the fun and very rewarding.
    http://www.nbbikes.com/
    ^^^Best Bike Shop of MTBR 2008^^^

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for those tips muddy! It's all a learning process for me and I appreciate all the help I've recieved so far!!! The factthat it seems more challenging makes me want to do it more! haha Although I will be researching parts heavily before officially beginning the project. I'm a stickler for doing it right and wouldn't want to mess up on a bike like this.

@sandmangts- by retro parts do you mean searching for used parts that people may be selling on a forum and/or are there companies that still might produce parts to fit this bike? If you have any links or suggestions on where to look off the top of your head that'd be much appreciated! It would sure help along with the pages of forums and google seatches i've been scrounging through!

mtbr member
    SMS1177-

I suggest snapping some quick photos and posting here right away. At a minimum, a drivetrain-side profile shot. Additional details of hubs, drivetrain, brakes, etc, would help too.

On the one hand we want to see the bike. On the other hand, the VRC community here can then pretty quickly get you feedback on what you've got, and some perspective on what is worth keeping, etc etc.

Good luck with the project! Although on projects like this, I usually recommend to folks a different, two-step approach:

1. Move to Palo Alto
    2. Hand over the bike to Hollister at Mike's Bikes

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Not sure Hollister is cool with his workplace location being on a public forum. I'll let him chime in and let me know if it's okay.

Stokeless Asshat
    Ebay, Retrobike, VRC trade thread, Craigslist, garage sales. Look for donor bikes. You can nail down a good portion of your want's list in one well timed score. To build it 100% period correct can be a challenge but if you're willing to make some concessions and keep it within a few years the build process can go much faster and usually cheaper. Also...No one here has asked you what kind of shape the bike is in. There's a good chance that $75.00 in parts and some tlc will be all she needs. That would make the VRC masses very happy.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

Stokeless Asshat
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    Not sure Hollister is cool with his workplace location being on a public forum. I'll let him chime in and let me know if it's okay.
    Cat's out of the bag now.

Want:

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    GOB,
    My bad! Please use your Mod skills to remove my prior post and this one too.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Nah, your post was mostly fine and good info. It's fine for now. If he gets a stalker, he'll let me know.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Cat's out of the bag now.
    ...well, to be fair, he already got outed 2wks ago in this thread:

Q re maintenance for 1991 Fat Chance Wicked running 80's -90's parts

...that's how I got my Wicked over into his healing hands...

but just in case my comment above was bad form, feel free to pull the post.

velocipede technician
    I hear thunder..
    looking for 20-21" P team

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Ebay, Retrobike, VRC trade thread, Craigslist, garage sales. Look for donor bikes. You can nail down a good portion of your want's list in one well timed score. To build it 100% period correct can be a challenge but if you're willing to make some concessions and keep it within a few years the build process can go much faster and usually cheaper. Also...No one here has asked you what kind of shape the bike is in. There's a good chance that $75.00 in parts and some tlc will be all she needs. That would make the VRC masses very happy.
    The bike is in good shape. The frame has no dents, dings, nothing. the components are where it needs help. They're pretty worked and need work. Thats why I was hoping to replace all of that. I thought it would be neat and functional to put new parts on an old school frame, but of course still keeping the original parts in order to have it original if wanted. Or put them on here for someone who might be able to use them.

The rock shocks need work, they don't hold much pressure so they could be rebuilt if possible or a new set of forks... muddy mentioned that they need to be short travel due to the fram not being intended for shocks in the first place. I read up and think they have 46mm travel? How much farther than that can I go?

Stokeless Asshat
    To be honest with you. You will not get much love around here for modernizing a nice old bike. To repeat what was said earlier it is much more fun, correct, esthetically pleasing, cheaper and satisfying to rebuild it vintage. At least around these parts. No need to restore it. Just replace what's worn and embrace the patina.

And post some pics before the new mod gives you the beat down.

Want:

Hissatsu Jitensha-nin
    Word!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SMS1177 View Post
    The bike is in good shape.
    For the love of the sweet baby jesus, post some pics! At this point we'll settle for a crappy cellphone shot just to see a little fillet brazing.

And once we actually see the 1992 parts that you are willing to remove, we're going to offer to buy most of them all from you...leaving you plenty of money to buy new parts for your sweet frame.

Better yet, you might even get a compelling offer for the whole bike with original parts intact -- compelling enough even to justify letting this one go, and picking up a reasonably priced 1992 GT to substitute in as your renovation project, and pocketing the difference.

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I sense a troll.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com