mtbr member
    Sep 2013

1992 Stumpy made in Taiwan?

Hi all,
    Just picked up a frankenstein '92 Stumpjumper regular in yellow -- PO used it as commuter and installed Raceface cranks/BB/riser bars, junk v-brakes, and 1 1/8 profile threadless setup. The frame is absolutely thrashed, though the "Taiwan" sticker still intact. It fits me well, but I was really hoping for a Japanese frame. There are also rack mounts on the rear. Is this normal? Did I get a POS freak?

TIA for any insight. I'm so perturbed I'm going to pickup '95 M2 Comp FS being parted out right now for cheap.
    Last edited by thchen; 09-26-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: (found out correct year)

Stokeless Asshat
    Almost all brand bikes of that era were Taiwan built. No reason to be perturbed. I believe the M2's were also.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    '91s were threaded. I had the white w/blue graphics version for awhile until I sold it to one of my buddies.

Don't remember what the other color was.

Maybe its a Stumpy FS model. Down tubes on these are kinda on the light-side. But they ride OK.

Quote Originally Posted by thchen View Post
    Hi all,
    Just picked up a frankenstein (supposedly) '91 Stumpjumper regular in yellow (which wasn't even an official color per mombat) -- PO used it as commuter and installed Raceface cranks/BB/riser bars, junk v-brakes, and 1 1/8 profile threadless setup. The frame is absolutely thrashed, though the "Taiwan" sticker still intact. It fits me well, but I was really hoping for a Japanese frame. There are also rack mounts on the rear. Is this normal? Did I get a POS freak?

TIA for any insight. I'm so perturbed I'm going to pickup '95 M2 Comp FS being parted out right now for cheap.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

-bustin punks
    I bought two Stumpjumpers of that era a few months back. The upper trim one (1991 Stumpjumper Comp) was Made in Japan. The lower level one (1990 Stumpjumper: Deore DX with rapidfire and U-brakes) was made in Taiwan.

The Taiwan bike is heavier and used a 26.8 post vs the 27.0 post on the nicer, lighter made-in-Japan Tange Prestige frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchanceti View Post
    I bought two Stumpjumpers of that era a few months back. The upper trim one (1991 Stumpjumper Comp) was Made in Japan. The lower level one (1990 Stumpjumper: Deore DX with rapidfire and U-brakes) was made in Taiwan.

The Taiwan bike is heavier and used a 26.8 post vs the 27.0 post on the nicer, lighter made-in-Japan Tange Prestige frame.
    Thanks for this tip, really helpful. Turns out the '91 was a '92 (since corrected in original post), and it looks like, based on your description, I have the wrong seatpost (27.0, straight from the factory?) which would explain the insane amount of clamp scratches on the post.

Got that '93 (not '95 per ad, why can't CL people just keep track of their bike model years?!?!) M2 FS and that 26.8 seatpost fit the '92 steel Stump perfectly. Gonna go look for Stump Comps from now on. Always wanted a Japanese bike since my very first bike (Timberline) was M.I.T.

Of note, I bought 3 90s MTBs (2 USA, 1 Taiwan) for the princely sum of $260 in the last week, compared to a POS Linuses being cranked out for $500. I mean, really, WTF is wrong w/ hipsters these days?

mtbr member
    FWIW, my 1993 non-FS Stumpjumper is made in Japan.