mountaingoatcycles.com

1992 Mountain Goat Road Goat, Campagnolo (warning: road content)

Nice vintage Road Goat, circa 1992, with 1995 Campagnolo Record components. Paint is in nice condition and it is an interesting combination of colors and pattern. For anyone that follows vintage bikes, the original owner of this bike was recently looking for it. He leant it to a relative who kept it for a couple of years before dropping it off at the Goodwill store. After the original owner found out this bit of information, he started posting on various forums and groups looking to get the bike back. Fortunately, he was able to track it down and sent it to us for safe keeping.

More pictures @ MOMBAT: 1992 Mountain Goat Road Goat

CS2
    mtbr member
    Very nice.
    1982, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1986, 1992 Stumpjumpers. 1995 Waterford 1200, 1999 Waterford RSE, plus a garage full of steel frames.

mtbr member
    I'd give my left one to walk into a Goodwill and find that sitting there.

mtbr member
    Gorgeous. Were those farmed out to Andy Newlands/Strawberry?

(Bar angle giving me a migrane...)

mtbr member
    That stem is crazy long too.

That is so cool that it turned up. I remember the search --now I see why he was so intent. What a beautiful bike.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Ditto on the bar angle.

As for the relative? Anything I might have been leaving them in my will, would now be removed from said will.

This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight View Post
    Nice vintage Road Goat, circa 1992, with 1995 Campagnolo Record components. Paint is in nice condition and it is an interesting combination of colors and pattern. For anyone that follows vintage bikes, the original owner of this bike was recently looking for it. He leant it to a relative who kept it for a couple of years before dropping it off at the Goodwill store. After the original owner found out this bit of information, he started posting on various forums and groups looking to get the bike back. Fortunately, he was able to track it down and sent it to us for safe keeping.

More pictures @ MOMBAT: 1992 Mountain Goat Road Goat

Just curious how it was actually found,....and did the good faith buyer get reimbersed?

Technically the bike was NOT stolen, as it was left with someone for a few YEARS. An argument could be made the bike was abandoned by the original owner and the reciever could do what they wanted with it.

Almost seems like the original owner gave it away, and became p*$$ed when they found it was gifted to Goodwill.

........just thinking out loud here but something doesn't quite sound right????

the new Gilbert Grape
    Nice! I love the wishbone stays.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Indeed, there is not an unpleasant line on this bike.*

edit: *once the bar angle is set right.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Funny,....i guess as "we" get older (i'll be 57 in July) our tastes evolve into a love of "the classics". But i've always preferred the traditional double seatstay rising to the seatpost cluster over the wishbone style.

Personally, i've always felt the tapered double seatstay all the way to the top offered a bit more compliance and comfort,......especially on a roadbike without a rear suspension and usually thinner tires. Not sure if that theory has ever been tested,....but i suppose it may have at one time.

Just seems that way to me anyway.....

The smooth lines of traditional seatstays may have something to do with it too???

Edited: I found a discussion of the wishbone seatstay and "why" some builders use it. I'll be sticking with my gut on this one

Wishbone stays?

mtbr member
    Got to start visiting Goodwill more often

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by joejeweler View Post
    But i've always preferred the traditional double seatstay rising to the seatpost cluster over the wishbone style.
    I like traditional stays too. However, the wishbone stays screams "northern California frame" which is very appropriate for this bike.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    I like traditional stays too. However, the wishbone stays screams "northern California frame" which is very appropriate for this bike.
    I love northern calif frames, but not a fan of wishbone stays. Please don't lump all Norcal builders into the monostay category. To me it screams "torsional noodle".

Humanoid Lobster
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    To me it screams "torsional noodle".
    Certainly on a larger frame like that one. On a smaller frame size I don't think it makes much difference. (It just makes it harder to attach fenders.)
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jak0zilla View Post
    Certainly on a larger frame like that one. On a smaller frame size I don't think it makes much difference. (It just makes it harder to attach fenders.)
    Yes, mostly true.

I can see how a wishbone can be stiff for seat stay mounted rim brakes on paper I guess, but if a standard style seat stay has the bridge is it really all that different? Better yet, put the brakes on the chainstays for the ultimate stiffness and then make the seat stays vertically compliant.

Of course, all that brake talk goes out the window on a road bike...
    Last edited by Fillet-brazed; 05-10-2013 at 01:08 PM.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fillet-brazed View Post
    I love northern calif frames, but not a fan of wishbone stays. Please don't lump all Norcal builders into the monostay category. To me it screams "torsional noodle".
    MOndonico used those monostays on his road bikes.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

artistic...
    Pegoretti built bikes for Indurain. Miguel is BIG and needed BIG frames. Dario would extend the seat tube AND head tube so the bike would have a smaller, stiffer main triangle while still supporting stem and seat post where they needed to be. This one extends the seat tube only.. it doesn't look right to me. There is a long stem and what looks to be a short top tube.. i like a lot of build details on this bike but some of it throw me off.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull