Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1992 Kamikaze Cannondale Tandem

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  DHMASTER 
#1 · (Edited)
I've been besieged with requested for pictures, details and serial numbers! Lol. Who knew some old bikes would interest somebody other than me! LOL<O:p></O:p>
So while I was snapping pics and getting old crap down out of the rafters in the garage I figured I'd take a few of my old tandem since I had to get it out of the way. I built this back in the day to display the Kamikaze and Interbike.
<O:p</O:p
Because we were displaying it a lot, we wanted the purple (everybody was crazy for it) to pop. SoI stripped and polished the cranks (which were blue), an old Klein Mission control and some other bits I had laying around and sent the whole batch out for anodize.
The particulars: 1993ish Cannondale Tandem , Original HED Carbon reinforced downhill wheels built on Attack hubs, Cooks cranks, Odyssey Black widow pro pedals, Orig XRAY grip shift, XTR derailleur's and running on the same set of Klein Deathgrip tires.
<O:p></O:p>
20 years later, it is still a blast to ride, but now with my 10 year old as the stoker.

Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire
Bicycle frame Bicycle handlebar Bicycle part Bicycle Bicycle accessory

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
:)

I will not even show my wife this thread because she will automatically start clamoring for your Superformance. That is absolutely lovely in every way. I love how understated it is. Did you do the 351 or is it a big block? One of these days when the other car projects are done I will have one. :)

#7 ·
Datmony,

Thank you.
Like everything in my garage, it will never be done! I bought it about ten years ago specifically because of the motor which is a late model (460 based) all aluminum big block Ford built with an A-96 block. I was Blue with white stripes until last years when a moron decided to drive into the right rear fender. Good excuse to change the car into what I had always envisioned. Its a low metallic silver, similar to what was used on the mid 50's Mercedes. Black wheels , short competition windscreen. I really dig in now, far cry from where it started.
Tire Wheel Mode of transport Automotive design Vehicle
Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Mode of transport Automotive design

Banks,
No worries! All the replica guys bust each others chops on who's car is best.

Jason

#9 ·
So much sweeter now in my opinion. I have a 63 XKE that I am going to retro mod in a few years because the original motor is missing and it will likely be that same color. With that motor in there that thing has got to be an absolute rocket. Come take me for a spin. :)

#10 ·
Love the XKE shape, especially the roadster.
It would be cool with a 6.0 LS Chevy and a 6spd! Maybe a little flare in the fenders....
Funny about motors, after you spend enough time behind one, they just don't feel as fast. The current motor made 604hp but has over 40k miles on it and needs to be freshened.
So I started building another... more serious version
All aluminum, 565CI, dry sump, EFI, belt driven cam, big solid roller, giant ported heads. It should make over 900hp @ 7500....if all goes as planned..
Silver Plastic Electronic component Aluminium

Product Red Metal Auto part Cylinder
Metal Pipe Automotive exhaust Steel Space
Blue Electric blue Teal Colorfulness Metal

Its a sickness.

#12 ·
That is gorgeous in every way. :) For mine, its a coupe but a pretty rare configuration of a leather roll back moonroof that opens up the entire driving compartment. It is the only one I have ever seen like it. Mine is a 63 so as a result the frame rails are pretty narrow so I wouldn't put a V-8 in it. It would throw off the center of gravity on the car too much.

Looking to put twin turbo or supercharged Inline 6 into it. They made a 4.0l XJR motor that would work well but there is not much aftermarket performance support for them. I like that option because it keeps it a Jag motor but without a bunch of go fast goodies readily available I am leaning towards some other options like a M3 motor, Skyline motor, or perhaps one of the newer Volvo inlines.

The tunnel in the car is relatively narrow as well and to keep from impacting the seating area I will likely be sticking with a 5 speed in it. Likely a Tremtec. They make some sweet bolt on Cromoly a-arm setups and Wilwood discs so will go with those as well. Doing a ground up build of a CJ7 at the moment and once that is done I will start in on the Jag.

Couldn't agree more, it's a sickness. :) Do we really want a cure though? heh

#14 ·
Hahaha, awesome. Mine is an 86. Dana 60/44 with ARBs, custom National Spring leafs, NV4500, stroked 4.0 (4.6L now - 300hp/325ft lb ish), converted over to a 2002 style serpentine and fuel injection. Should be fun when I finally get it finished. It is my first ground up build so there have been a learning curve in some areas. Converting it to Wilwood discs with a tilton pedal assembly too. Should be sweet once I finally get it all done. Just ordered the frame for it yesterday. I go out on paternity leave in about a month so going to be spending a lot of garage time for a month when I am not playing Mr. Mom.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.