Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member

1991 Santana Moda, NOSish

This arrived in the mail back in early February-I'd never seen a bike packed so well, they even labeled the padding After looking at this picture, I can't decide if it's sarcasm or a methodology-I certainly deserved a bit of from the shop due to paranoia about damage during shipping, and cost. Thanks to Rincon Cycles of Carpenteria, California for the effort and attention to detail.

Santana made the Moda from 1988 to 1992 or so, fillet brazing a frameset with Columbus Nivacrom MAX tubing that is drawn ovalized, and is very thin walled. The owner forwarded several PDF files along (thanks again) that get into some detail about the tubing and manufacturing process, I'll post them eventually. Here's a sample:

The bike arrived pretty much NOS, it had been in the shop for years and suffered a few minor nicks but overall was essentially unused, with a full M950 XTR group and a Specialized/Rock Shox fork. The bike was initially full Campagnolo (Euclid I believe?) and was hot pink (!). The owner sent it back to Santana for a repaint in the mid 90's, added the M950 parts, and never rode it again.

The paint is called 'Firemist Blue'. It's a blue base with purple/lavender in the clearcoat, and really changes significantly with the light/time of day and your viewing angle.

A shot of it lightly built after arrival:

As much as I like the 950 stuff, I wanted something slightly more correct for the year, and since all the parts were new I sold them along to fund my build. I went with M900 (mostly) although technically it's a year too new. Whatever-I thought the bike deserved it, and hunting down Campy MTB parts isn't my thing. I don't have a particular affinity for them anyway.

Initially I had mounted gold NOS XC Pro cantis and silver Dia-Compe AD290 levers and XT732 thumbies, along with a Cook's 181 crankset, but issues finding the right BB in the right length forced me away from the Cooks. I stumbled upon a lightly-used/NOS canti's part M900 group, and the whole build just fell in that direction. I'm still looking for a couple parts to complete it, and I stuck with the XT thumbies, but it's pretty much what I needed and in very nice (but not so new I won't dare to use it) condition. I also found a Specialized S-Works Ti BB that was lightly used and a perfect match. The bike came with MRC Ti bars and stem as well.

I dragged my feet all winter getting it assembled, but it finally came together over the last month or so and I went out for a test flight late last week. This bike kicks ass.

I'm really happy with it, but have a couple things left before it's 'done'. First thing is the wheelset, I picked up some White Industries hubs so that's a start. At least I can ride it as it is now. The seatpost is lacking as well-there was a Dean titanium on ebay recently ( to the seller) but I let it go...I'm not exactly light, and judging by the amount of flex in the MRC bar and stem I thought better of it.

Some detail shots-I got it dirty!

I love the combination of brazing and the shapes of the tubing, I'll get some better shots at some point so you can see how the profile changes from end to end. The quality of the work is outstanding-the paint shows EVERY single imperfection and blemish in the metal, and as you can see from the photos how smooth the joints are. I have a fillet Ritchey Timber Comp and a Teesdale-brazed Quintana Roo Superform, for pure aesthetics this takes the cake.

As I get more time on it I'll update the thread, and sooner or later will post up the rest of the PDF files about Santana and the Nivacrom tubing. If there are any other Moda owners out there, feel free to post pics of your ride or just comment on the bikes in general, they are fairly uncommon and I'd love to hear from others who have them.
    Last edited by Shogun700; 05-24-2011 at 10:57 PM.
    Looking for a TNT Titanium front hub....

mtbr member
    That is sweet I like the highlites in the paint
    "I think it is heavy and often stupid and doesn't work as well as Shimano, but I keep using it. -- NG

Certified Bike Junkie
    Thats a beauty. Love the color. I've seen two or three of those in person, and I have to agree with you, the finish work was up there with the best of them.

Someone had one at Keyesville 2010. But I can't remember who it was off the top of my head.
    Need: McMahon brake for roller cam mounts, Mountain Goat fork.

VRC Hound
    Cool bike. The color looks great too. I am glad it is built for a giant so I don't need to suffer jealousy!

Harmonius Wrench
    I've seen a few of these through the years. Very cool bikes. Love the color of yours, that's very nice. Most I've seen were flat black or white.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Good to see a little mud on there! Really nice bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks folks-I'm still a bit shocked that I own it. One popped up on local craigslist last summer, when I went to look at it I was mesmerized, but it was far too small. When this came up on ebay the timing was perfect, my tax return had just arrived. This whole build has been a lesson in building a bike waaaay beyond my typical budget-the M950 group I sold off was very profitable and allowed me to get the parts you see now.

artistic...
    This is what i am looking for when i surf this website...
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by muddybuddy
    Someone had one at Keyesville 2010. But I can't remember who it was off the top of my head.

Wow! Pretty bike, great pictures, and a nice story. I especially love the color! Thanks for sharing. That first shot looks like a catalog shot.

MB- it was Salsa Luma with the Moda.

mtbr member
    Love it. Santanas are great---and the feminist blue looks great.
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Um....I know I tend to skim over the words and go straight to the pretty pictures but I don't see the rigid forks in your original package and didn't see anywhere where you mention finding another in same condition and color? How did that come about?

workin' it Administrator
    OMG when I saw the first Moda in MBA back in the day that was the bike I wanted. I got a catalog from them and dreamed about that bike forever. Heck each bike I have purchased since has been in essence that bike. It was an evolution from the asian made Ritchey ultra I had (that was stolen while in a friends care, sadly). Fillet, handmade, steel, gorgeous paint and a certain cache that just wasn't achievable in the then environment of handmade bikes IMO.

Thanks for posting that, I still lust after that bike even after all these years!
    Try this: HTFU

mtbr member
    'Feminist Blue'-awesome. I've been calling it sky blue to preserve my manhood.

girlonbike, the fork came with the bike, they are both stamped 'JSM 50'.

Witty McWitterson
    Those are one of the prettiest bikes out there. This one looks so much better with the rigid fork too.
    Just a regular guy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    OMG when I saw the first Moda in MBA back in the day that was the bike I wanted. I got a catalog from them and dreamed about that bike forever. Heck each bike I have purchased since has been in essence that bike. It was an evolution from the asian made Ritchey ultra I had (that was stolen while in a friends care, sadly). Fillet, handmade, steel, gorgeous paint and a certain cache that just wasn't achievable in the then environment of handmade bikes IMO.

Thanks for posting that, I still lust after that bike even after all these years!
    No problem! Sorry about your Ultra... Strangely enough, the bike that put me on the path to this one aesthetically is the Schwinn Cimarron, it has a very similar top-tube shape and fillet brazing that I really liked. Of course this takes that concept to another level entirely, but the humble Schwinn pointed me in this direction.

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700
    No problem! Sorry about your Ultra... Strangely enough, the bike that put me on the path to this one aesthetically is the Schwinn Cimarron, it has a very similar top-tube shape and fillet brazing that I really liked. Of course this takes that concept to another level entirely, but the humble Schwinn pointed me in this direction.
    Ah yes the Cimmaron, I had completely forgotten about those, I can see how that could lead to this.

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher
    (that was stolen while in a friends care, sadly)
    I try to keep a mid level production bike because of that. I have friends come over and see all my bikes lounging around everywhere and don't hesitate to ask to borrow one for whatever reason, not knowing anything about them. I can't seem to say no.

Anyhow, I've sold off all my production bikes so now I'm in trouble.

mtbr member
    Oh my!! what a treat!! Needle in a haystack!!

Such a beautiful bike.

I love the brazing on those and the color is phenomenal

Great work and congratulations on an awesome score.....

Full Tilt Boogie
    May 2005
    Gorgeous bike and awesome paint! I'm such a sucker for fillet brazing. Wonderful parts choices as well sir.
    I sell bikes here. Check out the Blog here. Facebook.

Stokeless Asshat
    Stunning.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the kind words folks.

I hope I'm not doing the bike an injustice, but I really plan on riding it as it was intended as opposed to just cruising about and 'preserving' it, so to speak. Anyone have suggestions about how to keep the paint from getting rock chips and such? I know it's inevitable but listening to the stones whack the bottom of the downtube makes me cringe, I'd like to feel like I at least tried to prevent it. I have a couple coats of wax on there now, anything else I can do?

mtbr member
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    Thanks for all the kind words folks.

I hope I'm not doing the bike an injustice, but I really plan on riding it as it was intended as opposed to just cruising about and 'preserving' it, so to speak. Anyone have suggestions about how to keep the paint from getting rock chips and such? I know it's inevitable but listening to the stones whack the bottom of the downtube makes me cringe, I'd like to feel like I at least tried to prevent it. I have a couple coats of wax on there now, anything else I can do?
    It will look even better when all scratched up. imho.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by yo-Nate-y View Post

Very cool! Thanks, I was thinking about a couple layers of packing tape, but this stuff looks like the real deal. I wonder how it will hold up against chainslap? The stays on this thing are massive.

Colker, getting some wear marks on it will sure make it look a little less like a queen, agreed!

workin' it Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Shogun700 View Post
    ...The stays on this thing are massive.
    that is what always appealed to me on these bikes: the chainstays. They were big and meaty and looked stiff and impressive.

pegoretti bikes have this same thing and I am totally all about those (not that I can afford one but perhaps some day I will).

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast