mtbr member
    Jul 2013

1991 Paramount PDG series 30 vs. 86/87 Rock Hopper

Hi Guys,
    If there's one thing I know about message boards it's I'm probably doing something wrong with my first post so I'm sorry about that.

Anyway, I primarily ride road bikes and just have a hybrid for trail riding. I decided I'd like an older steel mountain bike to replace my hybrid. I have the opportunity to buy a 91 PDG series 30 or a 86/87 Specialized Rock Hopper.

Both are completely stock, both are the same price, both are in good condition. Both are probably similar tube sets as the next step up for both is Tange Prestige. Both are Deore. PDG is SIS and Rock Hopper is friction, I prefer friction.

So has anyone ridden both or have particular opinions on either? It seems like a toss up to me but I dont have experience on either bike so I dont know what the ride is like.

Mantis, Paramount, Campy
    I liked my Paramount Series 30 a lot back when it was new.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenLane View Post
    Hi Guys,
    If there's one thing I know about message boards it's I'm probably doing something wrong with my first post so I'm sorry about that.
    Haha, I like that intro!

I think the 91 PDG will probably ride more like a 'mountain bike' with its geometry. Lots of advancements and innovation in the burgeoning sport between 86 and 91.
    The Rockhopper could possibly ride a bit like your hybrid (more upright, slacker angles).

I think you're right, its a toss up...just depends on what is more important to you.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

DFA
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    I think the 91 PDG will probably ride more like a 'mountain bike' with its geometry.
    +1. Rode a PDG 70 for 2 years BITD (91/92). Liked the way it rode enough that I bought another one that came up on Kijiji last year

Buy the Paramount. Swap the integrated shift/brake levers with thumbies + levers (or cut off the shifter mounts from the stock levers). Run the thumbies in friction mode.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    For what it's worth the answer turned out to be the early 90s stumpjumper that came onto the market shortly thereafter, covered in an unholy amount of road grime and an FS fork from whatever year champagne was a color. So I'll ride it the rest of the summer and then put on a rigid fork and maybe paint it over the winter.