mountaingoatcycles.com

1991 Ellison E-Stay bike, made in Texas

We got this a month or two ago as a bare frame and have been working on building it back up as period correct as we could. By the serial number this should be the 3rd 17" elevated stay bike from 1991. Not sure how many he made but I can't imagine it was a big number. We used a pretty standard Shimano Deore XT parts kit with a Mantiou suspension fork. More pictures and details @ http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1991_Ellison.html

defender of bad taste
    Nov 2007
    The welds are a bit industrial, but I really like it, build is great.
    5 is the old new black; 6 is the new new black...

mtbr member
    I remember those being made in Houston, no?

Relax. I'm a pro.
    Feb 2004
    I generally don't care for elevated chainstay bikes, but that one looks nice. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Ellison overbuilt his frames on purpose, because he hated doing repairs.
    Instagram: @antoine1000
    http://tfwo.tumblr.com

He be a moose too.
    I don't know if it they were overbuilt to avoid repairs so much as replacement as in most cases, the manufacturers end up replacing aluminum bike. Those welds are quite similar to American's welds....just without the quality.

Although I've never ridden an Ellison (nor even seen one), so I don't know how they ride.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by mechagouki
    The welds are a bit industrial, but I really like it, build is great.
    Similar to the American "beauty" welds but maybe not quite as even?

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by babbalanja
    I remember those being made in Houston, no?
    From March 1991:

No known cure
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad
    I generally don't care for elevated chainstay bikes, but that one looks nice. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that Ellison overbuilt his frames on purpose, because he hated doing repairs.
    From the Oct 1995 issue of BIKE magazine's Ellison full suspension (looks like a Titus MotoLite) review.

Randy Ellison would rather build frames than repair them and would just a soon not receive any mail on legal stationary. So he builds his welded aluminum bikes accordingly."We try to overbuild. I'll never win a prize for the lightest bike," he admits. "But I don't want to worry about people breaking my frames." Thus, our 18-inch test bike, Ellison's personal scoot, sports hellbent-for-stout 6061 T6 tubing, with a wrist thick two inch diameter down tube and 1.5 inch top tube further reinforced with extra gussets. Beefy square chainstays are attached to massive rear dropouts cut from thick quarter-inch plate.

I just happened to thumb through this back issue today.
    Ripping trails and tipping ales

illuminaughty
    I for one think the beefy welds are very cool...I also like the "stac-o-dimes" welds ,they are two different styles, both great in their own way.

mtbr member
    Jeff for what it's worth you can get those welds a lot cleaner with a toothbrush
    Needed: 26.8mm XTR seatpost, blue GT/Grundig Jersey.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by gm1230126
    Jeff for what it's worth you can get those welds a lot cleaner with a toothbrush
    Noticed that in the pictures but not as much in person. When we go the frame, I was prety sure it was a silver powder coat until I tested it with a bit of polish under the bb. Kinda bummed since I really didn't want to polish another frame

mtbr member
    Awesome!! I have a 91 also with the Evolution headset. I also have the fork he built with the Ti uppers. Elastimors are shot now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Too bad every es bike built like that will break right where it all comes together... at the st/stay junction. Es bikes should have at least 1 1/4 st's with gussets at that joint to boot.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmitty
    Too bad every es bike built like that will break right where it all comes together... at the st/stay junction. Es bikes should have at least 1 1/4 st's with gussets at that joint to boot.

-Schmitty-

Really? EVERY single one?

Cause I rode mine pretty damn hard and it never cracked.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Salami
    Really? EVERY single one?

Cause I rode mine pretty damn hard and it never cracked.

Key word is *will*.

Keep riding.

-Schmitty-

mtbr member
    ****. After 20 years does it even matter any more?

Might as well say every AL frames will crack. If you ride it hard enough for long enough it will crack and it might take you 20 years but it WILL crack.

Your logic is fail.

He be a moose too.
    I used to work at a place that made materials testing machines. Plenty of experts in all sorts of materials. I worked with an engineer who dealt with the machines for motorcyles, atvs, and bicycles. I asked him about this whole "aluminum will fail" thing. He said that it was true.

I asked him about the notion that steel can be deformed below a certain limit, essentially indefinitely. He said that was also true. He also that it was true in theory but due to imperfections in the structure of the metal, it didn't hold in "real" life. So that that steel frame *WILL* fail also, given enough time.
    Looking for:
    • Bontrager Comp crown, 1" threaded
    • Syncros Revolution, drive side 172.5

mtbr member
    Everybody dies, you know?
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU