mtbr member
    Jun 2011

1991 DB Axis black with white splatter First ride updated pics 4/5

Took the DB out for its maiden voyage today, Quick 7 mile loop. As you can see by the photos the the stem is long and seat is forward. Gonna go to a straight bar first and see if that gets me where I need to be. 2nd the gearing is a little low at 34/18 Otherwise its a winner.

I just picked up minty DB axis frameset, It almost a new oldstock frameset,with black splater paint Original avenir seat, tbone quill handlebars and tange bttom bracket. Found a set of XT 734 cantis and m730 levers, Shoud I stick to the xt hubs on the wheel to keep it correct? Im gonna run it SS also, Prob go eno eccentric So i dont have run any tensionr

I rcvd the frame and it was as described. Just a light scuffing on some of stickers othrwise perfect paint. Was in contact with guy who sold me the frame. He told me he had the seat,post, tioga stem and bars for me. I bought a set of thumbie shifters, brake levers from mombat and RD, XT canties from ebay All correct parts. Have a line on a correct XT crank as well
    Now i need a FD 7spd cassette and a proper whellset. Not sure which rim to use but am tracking down a set of XT hubs if I need to build something
    Last edited by trodaq; 04-06-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: Pics Added

VRC Illuminati
    Ok!!
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Reading back thru my post. Typing and Lunesta dont work well together

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    haha! Go to bed and ask us again in the morning!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Yes mum.....See you in the morning

VRC Illuminati
    Ah, now it reads better.

I've run traditional wheels with a Soulcraft Convert with good results if you really felt strongly in keeping with the XT theme. But since you're SS'ing it, its already a deviation from 'stock', so go with you feel works best. Sounds like ENO it is.
    -eric-

John Galt
    Quote Originally Posted by trodaq View Post
    I just picked up minty DB axis frameset, It almost a new oldstock frameset,with black splater paint Original avenir seat, tbone quill handlebars and tange bttom bracket. Found a set of XT 734 cantis and m730 levers, Shoud I stick to the xt hubs on the wheel to keep it correct? Im gonna run it SS also, Prob go eno eccentric So i dont have run any tensionr.
    If you're going SS, then why are you worried about it being correct? Just an innocent question.

Anyway, I had one of those (see pics below) and really like the way it rode. It was pretty light with the TT OX tubing and the geometry felt good. I put quite a few miles on that bike before moving on to other projects. Do you have pics?

Originally, those came with full XT with first generation "push-push" 7-speed shifters. I think the rims, post, bar and maybe a couple other small parts were Avenir-branded (DB's house brand) and they even plastered "Avenir equipped" on the frame via decal. You T-Bone stem should be original - at least mine came with the same.

What to do with it depends on how and where you ride. I don't really get the SS thing, and I really enjoyed mine in essentially stock condition; but that's just me. One could always go 1x7 with a single thumb shifter...

Edit: Note that the last picture below is a "before" shot. That Scott fork was toast when I got it...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1991 DB axis black with white splatter-dbaxisrsidecloses.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Im getting together the parts to make it corrrect. The stem, bars seat and post actually came from the original bike. I also want to have a 26er SS steel rigid. So ill put together a rear wheel.
    So if you dont mind I have a few questions. Did the Full XT include the hubs? Which rim? Are there any good repro tires?
    Thanks Tom

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I havent got any of the parts or the frame as of yet but will prob post pics of my progress as the build comes together. It was the first pic you posted that convinced me to do this frame/paint scheme. I love the look. It turned up everytime searched DB Axis

VRC Illuminati
    Im getting together the parts to make it corrrect. The stem, bars seat and post actually came from the original bike. I also want to have a 26er SS steel rigid. So ill put together a rear wheel.
    So if you dont mind I have a few questions. Did the Full XT include the hubs? Which rim? Are there any good repro tires?
    Thanks Tom
    Shimano History

MOMBAT/FirstFlight also has reproduction TimbukII and Ritchey tires in tan wall.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Very good. Thanks

John Galt
    I havent got any of the parts or the frame as of yet but will prob post pics of my progress as the build comes together. It was the first pic you posted that convinced me to do this frame/paint scheme. I love the look. It turned up everytime searched DB Axis
    Good to hear! I suppose I need some new pics, although I don't have the Axis anymore. What I really need to do is go reclaim/update those former Geocities sites...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Bump with pics added
    Seeking MB-2 Fork (19.3), Ritchey FD post silver 26.8

REALLY?
    I like it!
    DJ, "Because I'm sure the world need's more dudes stalking the woods stoned out of their mind carrying a deadly weapon."

mtbr member

Here's Mine

I still have mine - I've had it since college. Can't seem to part with it.
    WTB: Bontrager Comp Fork & Syncros metal top cap

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Its coming along. I've gotten everything to put it together stock except a wheelset. As I said before I'm gonna run this SS. So for now I have a Deore crank with a Surley 34t ring. A WTB Dualduty with a Surley hub and 18t acs freewheel. Should have a Singleator tensioner by friday. Got a pair of answer tapers which are a little wider then the avinir Run some cables and go for a spin over the weekend

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i724.photobucket.com/albums/ww246/tlroda/IMG_0401.jpg[/IMG

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    bump

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    bump
    why?

Your levers are upside down and backwards, same with your front skewer, it looks like.
    Last edited by girlonbike; 04-06-2012 at 09:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by girlonbike View Post
    why?
    Changed pics in original post.

Your levers are upside down and backwards, same with your front skewer, it looks like.
    Oops

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Oops
    hee hee.