mtbr member
    Jan 2014

1990 Stupjumper drivetrain.

Anyone know if a 9 speed cassette will work on a 1990 Stumpjumper comp? The wheel fits on the frame fine, just a little tight. Its a Mavic 231 CD with xtr hub and a 9 speed shimano cassette. The cranks and front sprocket are the original Deore that came with the bike. I am going to pick up a chain this week but am wondering how it will shift. It also has a Deore 9 speed rear derailleur that I will upgrade to xtr if it works. Just getting back into mtn biking after many years and I love working on my bikes in the garage but admit that I am not very good at it yet. Watching lots of utube videos and reading this forum. Thanks!

mtbr member

Re: 1990 Stupjumper drivetrain.

Its a wider wheel. As u discovered. Suggest going back to what it came with if thatis what you are looking for and that is 7 gear cluster/hub.

Since you have parts see if it works ok. 8 speed is closer to OEM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I would think by 1990 your stumpy would be spaced at 135 mm . If it is still at 130 mm you can spread the stays (cold set) but you will want to align the dropouts when you are done or you might have axle problems. Measure your dropouts if you need to coldset your stays, I can give you a link explaining what to do , it is easy but needs caution.

mtbr member
    Also I am not the ultimate info source, but I do know the 9sp chains are narrrower, its possible that crankset may not work great for 9 speed. Maybe someone else can chime in. Its not the cassette/cluster you need to worry about like Fred said its the frame fitting the wheel in properly.

I have a '93 Cannondale and it came with 7speed I think if I recall. But getting old and memory isn't what it used to be LOL.

ps. that is a retro bike, old as the hills. you may want to restore it to what it was - not try to bend it to fit a 9 speed, plenty of good frames and even whole bikes that are tons newer if you are looking for a budget ride. You won't be able to fit much of a travel fork on such a frame and other problems.

Sergeant Spandex
    The older crankset will be compatible with the nine speed chain because only the outside dimension is narrow, the pitch is still the same, 3 3/2 by 1/2 inch. The main issue when cold setting 5 mm will be chainline particularly on the smallest and largest cogs. Newer, 9 speed, front shifters do not allow for trim which means you could get a lot of chain drag on the from derailleur. I would re-examine the reason for wanting a nine speed set up, Is it for additional gear range? or did you just want to give it a try? A wide range seven speed freewheel (cassette) will do the gear range trick without the hassles.

But I am a big fan of trying things just to see if it works, so if that is the case then give it a punt. Worst case scenario* is you go back to seven.

*If you bungle the cold set then worst case could be a trip to you local frame builder for repairs.

Steven