Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014

1990 Stumpjumper - Light Forks?

I am rebuilding my 1990 Stumpjumper Comp which I have owned since 1991. Currently I would like to trick this bike out and make it so that it handles and brakes really well. I tossed out my original forks many years ago when I bought the current forks, which are Mag 21's. I would like to go full rigid and make it as light as possible. My problem is that it has a 1" steerer tube and the frame geometry is not adjusted for really long forks. I recently picked up a set of XTR V brakes and levers so it has to accommodate them as well. My ultimate goal is to build my old frame up with high quality components and wheels, make it as light as possible and ride it on the smoother XC single track and fire roads. I can't find anyone making carbon fiber or aluminum forks that would fit. I also weigh about #225. Any ideas? I know that a new, modern bike would probably ride much better but I'm a middle aged dude that has lugged this bike around for decades and want to do something cool with it. The cost is not that important. Thanks!

Schipperkes are cool.
    email scot@absolutebikes.com He has a Kinesis alloy rigid non-suspension corrected fork with an uncut 1" threadless steerertube.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee
    Better suited to non-aggressive 125# gals named Russell.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Go with a nice steel fork. It will be lighter than your old Mag 21, look at home on that bike, ride nicely, and will be easier to find.

I just weighted an old steel fork in my basement and it was 723 grams.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

artistic...
    well.. stumpjumpers came w/ one of the best steel rigid production forks. Double butted, wide enough for big tires and better ride quality than most of other brands. Go find another one.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

VRC Illuminati
    I bet you could find the correct DD fork for it without much effort. Just a little effort to search until one pops up.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member
    It's not fancy, but something like this would get you rolling until you found a nicer fork:

Universal Cycles -- Dimension Rigid Non Disc Fork

I had a '92 Stumpy Pro, and it wasn't suspension corrected at all. When I put a short travel Bomber on there, it really screwed up the handling. Ah, here's the pic:

Ovaries on the Outside
    exotic/carbon cycles has a bunch of 1" forks. They are about 190 on ebay. Bikeman is selling off Carver CF 1" forks with 410 a-c for about the same. There are a lot of 1" steel forks on ebay that are relatively inexpensive if you can find one that matches the color you want to run with.

I had a kinesis fork on a Scott for a bit last summer. It was fine until you want to go fast and then it hurt. I mean, more than the usual rigid fork.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by seat_boy View Post

I had a '92 Stumpy Pro
    Thats a 91 Comp.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Wow, thanks for all of the great ideas! Now, I can make a decision and get this project unstuck. I'll post some pics when it's finished.

mtbr member
    Buzz, try again:

I don't have the bike anymore, but I still have the sales tag from Gregg's Greenlake in Seattle: '92 Pro for $599 on super closeout (was $1299), came with a full Suntour XC Pro group with microdrive and greaseguard. That was a nice build...

Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Thats a 91 Comp.

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Buzz, try again:

I don't have the bike anymore, but I still have the sales tag from Gregg's Greenlake in Seattle: '92 Pro for $599 on super closeout (was $1299), came with a full Suntour XC Pro group with microdrive and greaseguard. That was a nice build...
    The 91 Comp had Suntour XC Comp so it was easy to confus the two. I'm running the brakes on my Surly at the moment, and the dam POS cassette hub just sits in the shop looking pretty since that's all those were good for.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Ambivalent Luddite
    The '91 Comp was full XT:
    1990 Stumpjumper - Light Forks?-p1021075.jpg1990 Stumpjumper - Light Forks?-p1021096.jpg

I just stripped down my 91

inFATuated
    98 Ti Fat, 98 CC, 98 Yo, 96 Yo x 2, 93 Buck

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Dude View Post
    The '91 Comp was full XT:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1021075.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	142.1 KB 
ID:	860765Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1021096.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	88.8 KB 
ID:	860766

I just stripped down my 91

Many, many thanks for that BB pic. When I get back to my place in Washington this weekend I will pull down the frame and make some comparisons. Until then my foggy brain will have to just wade through wondering what I have hanging...

Since I brazed a new seat tube in, it may be hard to tell what, if any, lettering is left on the seatstays after the repair. I swear it was a Comp with full XC Comp, no kidding. Still have the cranks and am contemplating putting those on my Surly too!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

Ambivalent Luddite
    Maybe it's a '91 team

Here's a link to the '91 catalog:

Specialized Catalogue 1991 Mini | Catalogues | Retrobike

inFATuated
    98 Ti Fat, 98 CC, 98 Yo, 96 Yo x 2, 93 Buck

mtbr member
    That was my favorite year for the Stumpy
    Now With Avatar!

artistic...
    '90 for me. All white w/ red lettering.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I have one of these that is a really nice riding bike, 91 comp as well. Had a 91 pro but it had to be rehomed as it was a size too big.

OP - don't look for a light fork, look for the original one as a few folks have noted. It is going to ride so much nicer than a carbon one or something similar weight wise. You will be much happier in the long run comfort wise.

mtbr member
    I have one of these on my 1" Bontrager
    Bikeman Carver Bikes Rigid Carbon Mtn Fork 410mm, 1 Inch!

And you can add the posts here:
    Bikeman Carver Bikes Clamp On Canti Posts

It's a very nice carbon rigid fork.

VRC Illuminati
    Buzz, try again:

Interesting...I have never seen that before.

Like Retro_Dude pointed out...based on the 91 catalog, flat gray with that script was the full XT 91 Comp.
    I've never seen one with the added 'Pro' designation. Sounds like a re-purposed Comp frame to move the remaining 91 stock by hanging XC Pro on it. I'm assuming the XC Pro was non-micro drive to make way for the new XC-Pro Micro Drive stuff avails in 92 as well. All just guesses of course.
    -eric-

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by chefmiguel View Post
    That was my favorite year for the Stumpy
    Me too.

Quote Originally Posted by colker1 View Post
    '90 for me. All white w/ red lettering.
    Close second.
    -eric-

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Rumpfy,

The Pro I had was also a 91, looked identical to the Comp I have now paint wise, just differing decals. Not sure original groupo on it though. By the time I got it it had TNT hubbed wheels, 950 cranks/BB, Vbrakes and a Red 1" Marzocchi Bomber (which made its way onto my Super Grizzly).

So at least two around that have that paint but were designated as "Pro".

-bustin punks
    Quote Originally Posted by datmony View Post
    I have one of these that is a really nice riding bike, 91 comp as well.
    Total sleeper! So glad this found a good home!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Ya thanks Fat Chance. I single speeded it for a bike to ride around the work campus. Reamed and faced the headset and faced the bottom bracket. Put a nice set of XC Pro cranks on it I had from a $35 craigslist bike (cranks were worth more than I paid for the whole bike and that ended up with XC Pro derailleurs, top mounts and Bullseye hubs), some wellgo flats, mish mash wheelset, and some 986 diacompes with NOS XT pads. Even threw in a Chris King on it just for grins.

Ended up being a darn fun bike to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    1990 Stumpjumper - Light Forks?-wp_20131215_003small.jpg

It still sports that "massaged" XT post you gave me too!!! I love that you can adjust the chain tension on these older stumpies, wish some of my other older steel had that same option.......

mtbr member
    Jan 2014

Good job! Here it is So far

1990 Stumpjumper - Light Forks?-img_1189.jpg
    The build so far. 1990 Stumpjumper comp, Mag 21 Rock Shox, XTR v brakes and shifters, original Deore crank, Original Deore front derailleur, Deore 9 speed rear derailleur, Mavic 231 rear wheel with XTR hubs, Bontrager Select front wheel, Scott AT-1 LF bars, Specialized seat, Titec titanium seat post. No scale but its feeling pretty light. I'm going to put a chain on and see if it will shift properly with the 9 speed cassette. Hopefully it works, then I will pick up an XTR rear derailleur off of ebay and sign up for the Sea Otter, Cat 3 clydesdale of course.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast