Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1990 Rocky Mountain Summit

7K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Jeroen 
#1 ·
I got a lead on a 1990 Rocky Mountain Summit early last week. Contacted the original owner and decided to pay him a visit. Yesterday I took this steel Canadian throroughbred to its new home. Its in a very nice shape, except some shoe rub on the elevated chainstay and some tiny chips here and there.

The non stock items are the saddle, quickreleases, bar-ends and the v-brakes ofcourse. I have the original brakes and quickreleases also, which will find its way back again onto this bike. Fork, stem, steerer and seatpost are all original Syncros branded parts. Drivetrain consists out off M730/732/735 XT components and ST-M091 controls on the handlebars.

Im looking forward to some nicer weather (snow and rain the last days), to give it a nice spin.

See less See more
#6 ·
Need some original spec tires too now, or at least, correct era. Ritchey MegaBite Harddrive 2.1 or Overdrive 2.0s would be correct for rocky mountain that year. I'd offer you a set but I'm saving mine for a future rocky resto, if I ever get the RIGHT rocky I want to do up to original spec. I might be able to arrange original spec saddle, bottom bracket and grips though.

#7 ·
You won't find many of those around any more because they were made with SUPER thin gauge Prestige, and many of the folded at the middle of the top tube when crashed and the bars whipped around and smacked the frame. They were the initial bike of choice of the Quebec contingent of Team Rocky Mountain for the year they were produced (0 or 91 I believe)...the team all finished the year on Stratos or Cirrus frames because the team bikes broke.

Ride it carefully, but ride it well. Awesome bike!

rb

#8 ·
richieb said:
You won't find many of those around any more because they were made with SUPER thin gauge Prestige, and many of the folded at the middle of the top tube when crashed and the bars whipped around and smacked the frame. They were the initial bike of choice of the Quebec contingent of Team Rocky Mountain for the year they were produced (0 or 91 I believe)...the team all finished the year on Stratos or Cirrus frames because the team bikes broke.

Ride it carefully, but ride it well. Awesome bike!

rb
Thin gauge? The weight of the frame would let you think otherwise ;-) Im in general a smooth rider, so I don't see any troubles ahead.

#10 ·
At least one survived till 1993 in the canada's capital region. Can't remember who owned it but he was a CORBA member in 1991 which is where I first saw the bike (by their booth at the ottawa bike show that year), and I passed him near champlain lookout on ridge road, going the opposite direction a year or so later when I had my rocky mountain stratos.

#12 ·
bert serotta said:
Hello Jeroen,
congratulatios to this wonderful bike!
You might know, that I am looking for such a bike since a couple of years.

Here is a picture of a friend of mines 1990 summit. The paint job is a little bit different to yours. Is that pearl white or bright white on your frame?

Best,
Bert
Bert,

long time, no speak!!

Mine is bright white/red. The one you picture is the same as in the catalog. I thought the catalog version was a pre-production version or so, and they decided to change the paintsceme a little when it hit the production. Now it seems thats not the case. Interesting.

I still need to make some time to investigate the whole bike, give it a good check-up and getting it on the trails anytime soon. Looking forward to that!

#13 ·
Hello Jeroen,

you have been absent in the german classic-forum for a long time, maybe thats the reason...

The paintscheme of your summit is really interesting. All the summits i know are painted like the one on my picture. They are all pearlwhite/red. Hmm, maybe yours is the version for the north american market :confused:

But nevertheless...enjoy riding it!

Bert

PS: Here is another 1990 summit...NOS...hanging in a german bikeshop, but unfortunately not for sale.

Attachments

#15 ·
I just noticed the different cable routing on the catalog model, oposed to the routing on both the bikes Bert posted and my own:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.