FatCogs.com

1990 Fat Chance Wicked: Zig Zag

Hey guys, thought I would post the first photos of my new/old ride that arrived last weekend. It's a Wicked (sporting Yo decals for some reason) using a full 7-speed XT build with painted Manitou fork, thumb shifters and bullhorns, and appears to be a re-paint in the Team Zig Zag paint scheme, but it's hard to tell. The paint looks factory, but no one I know has ever seen a Wicked in this paint.

Downtube gouges in paint are from a seller that doesn't know how to pack a bike properly... Ignore the road pedals, they were for the test ride before I took pictures.

The plan over the winter is to get Rody at Groovy to pull me a Yo Eddy fork and a stem for me, to match the front end of the bike.

Enjoy!

Last edited by apexspeed; 09-14-2009 at 03:45 PM.

VRC Hound
    Nice pickup indeed. Shame about the weak packing.

those are Rollercams...
    Quote Originally Posted by bushpig
    Nice pickup indeed. Shame about the weak packing.
    +1

I'd suggest putting your fork/stem order in now, it might....take a while.

Truly a wealth of useless information.

http://blackdogadventureteam.blogspot.com/

FatCogs.com
    Yup, already done.

mtbr member
    A one-piece Luv Handle bar stem combo would be hot.

Glad to see the big pics--it was in great shape after all!! Again, too bad about the gouge, but on balance what a phenomenal pick up!!
    Somec is like the digital Zunow
    And this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JD5h3y0a9AU

mtbr member
    Not only Yo paint, but Yo top tube cable routing. Nice!

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Nice work! But my eye's are burning, and I no longer need my coffee

Holy 90's paint, wow! It hardly looks ridden.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

FatCogs.com
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Nice work! But my eye's are burning, and I no longer need my coffee

Holy 90's paint, wow! It hardly looks ridden.....

It's even brighter in person.

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by KDXdog
    Not only Yo paint, but Yo top tube cable routing. Nice!
    wicked lites have top tube cable routing and threaded BB shells.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    ^^ yep they do, mine does. My buddy has a Yo in the same paint as tis Wicked. Team colors for 92 I believe

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Am I the only one who likes the Manitou fork?
    Mountain bikers, hikers and horseback riders are not the enemy. Bulldozers are the enemy.

FatCogs.com
    Quote Originally Posted by outside!
    Am I the only one who likes the Manitou fork?
    Maybe. I never liked them much, as I was more of a Rock Shox guy when suspension forks were first becoming common. This one is heavy (to me) and spongy, and I'm barely 150 lbs. Besides that, this bike wasn't suspension corrected, so I want it back to the original angles, or at least closer. Should lighten the front end up a lot.

the new Gilbert Grape
    Glad you ended up with it. I saw it for sale and was really tempted (I love the paint), but it's a size too small for me.

Enjoy it!!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

artistic...
    wicked w/ top tube cable routing but pressed in BB. it gets more interesting

FatCogs.com

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    wicked w/ top tube cable routing but pressed in BB. it gets more interesting
    With the bottom half of the "Yo Eddy" team decals, and they look really accurate (and really old). The oddity to me, is the Team Violet center is NOT a pearl overcoat, so it makes me believe that the paint isn't factory fresh. It's one of those things that I'd like to ask someone who worked at Fat in the paint department, to see when the zig zag was first done, and if it was done like the Team Violet bikes. The fork was definitely painted at the same time as the frame, too, so it just adds to the confusion on the history of this bike.

The other strange one is the .200" hole in the bottom of the BB shell, to presumably allow draining and drying of the seat tube. Not a fan of that "mod" personally, as I think it also allows stuff into the frame, as well. I noticed it when I was spraying the very clean seat tube out with WD40, and it ran out the BB onto the floor.

The parts on it are ALL circa-1990, so it doesn't appear as though it was rebuilt in the last decade. It's missing the Fat FD pulley, too, so there is some whacked out geometry on the cable routing for the now top-pull FD.

Rides like a dream, though. Can't wait to get it dirty.

doug

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by apexspeed
    With the bottom half of the "Yo Eddy" team decals, and they look really accurate (and really old). The oddity to me, is the Team Violet center is NOT a pearl overcoat, so it makes me believe that the paint isn't factory fresh. It's one of those things that I'd like to ask someone who worked at Fat in the paint department, to see when the zig zag was first done, and if it was done like the Team Violet bikes. The fork was definitely painted at the same time as the frame, too, so it just adds to the confusion on the history of this bike.

The other strange one is the .200" hole in the bottom of the BB shell, to presumably allow draining and drying of the seat tube. Not a fan of that "mod" personally, as I think it also allows stuff into the frame, as well. I noticed it when I was spraying the very clean seat tube out with WD40, and it ran out the BB onto the floor.

The parts on it are ALL circa-1990, so it doesn't appear as though it was rebuilt in the last decade. It's missing the Fat FD pulley, too, so there is some whacked out geometry on the cable routing for the now top-pull FD.

Rides like a dream, though. Can't wait to get it dirty.

doug
    how is the fit? you had an 18in before.

mtbr member
    The FAT race guys and shop dudes always seemed to have had "custom" frames, little things that set them apart from the production bikes.

Paint was obvious, small frame details sometime took some close inspection to discover. Things like pump pegs in non-standard spots, drilled rear brake arches & chin & seatstay gussets, bottle openers, top AND bottom cable routing, welded anti chainsuck things in many varieties...

I was just a fellow NE racer, I'm sure an insider could relate more details.

FatCogs.com
    Quote Originally Posted by colker1
    how is the fit? you had an 18in before.
    Short top tube helps a lot on the Wicked, but the bike came with a 135mm stem. I'm putting a 120mm on it this weekend, with straight bars, so that should help my reach a lot more, and put the fit right in my wheelhouse. The rest fits superbly, and was actually very surprising to me, as the bike wasn't supposed to be a 19" based on the info from the seller.

I don't know if I would have picked up a 19" Wicked on purpose, but knowing now that it fits more like a 18" Yo or Wicked Lite, I wouldn't think twice. I'm comfortable with a 22.25-22.5 top tub length, so that helps my fit tremendously.

artistic...
    Short top tube helps a lot on the Wicked, but the bike came with a 135mm stem. I'm putting a 120mm on it this weekend, with straight bars, so that should help my reach a lot more, and put the fit right in my wheelhouse. The rest fits superbly, and was actually very surprising to me, as the bike wasn't supposed to be a 19" based on the info from the seller.

I don't know if I would have picked up a 19" Wicked on purpose, but knowing now that it fits more like a 18" Yo or Wicked Lite, I wouldn't think twice. I'm comfortable with a 22.25-22.5 top tub length, so that helps my fit tremendously.

a19 wicked equals a medium yo. an 18wicked equals a small yo.
    but i suspect numbers tell only half the story.

FatCogs.com
    The 19" Wicked fits VERY much like my past M/L Yo, for sure.

artistic...
    The 19" Wicked fits VERY much like my past M/L Yo, for sure.
    the shorter rigid fork will make it fit like a medium.

one chain, two sprockets
    Sep 2008
    The other strange one is the .200" hole in the bottom of the BB shell, to presumably allow draining and drying of the seat tube.
    That hole is probably a legacy hole (down tube cable routing), when they riveted the plastic cable guide to the bottom of the BB. If you don't like it, just tap it and thread a short bolt in there... Ti if you feel the need.

Tom P.