mtbr member
    May 2013

New question here. 1989ish specalized hardrock townie build

hello all

i am new to the forum. i have an 89, i think, maybe early 90s, hardrock that i purchased recently to replace one that i had stolen from me in college. i really loved that bike, so when i saw another on craigslist for 100 bucks i couldn't resist. since then i have replaced the wheel set with one from a mid 90s cannondale m-600 (slightly lighter, way better hubs) and purchased some cross style tires. i also put some avid shorty ultimate brakes on it...i dont want this bike to be a terrible money pit, but i cant help but wonder if it would be worth while to change out the drive train on it. as is, it is stock: sugino crankset and derailleur. at some point someone had changed out the brake levers and shifters for newer shimano rapid fire/v brake type.

i have a donor bike, the mid 90s cannondale, it needs a fork...devolution headset, bars...ect....and since i cant be sure i will like the geometry i haven't pulled the trigger on anything for it. the components on that bike are newer than the specialized (but from what i understand fairly low end) shimano stx series....now the question is, is it worth it to pull the components off the cannondale and put them on the old hardrock?

i use the bike primarily for riding the greenway, which is a paved, or mostly paved, bike and pedestrian trail here in the city, and there are some killer hills to combat in a few places. eventually id like to build the cannondale out because its so freaking light...but i already know that project is going to be quite costly...and if its already costly...why not get a new drive-train for it and put the old one on another bike? suggestions?

thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I have a similar bike I just picked up too, so I would be interested in seeing your version as it progresses since I have the same plans for my 90's Hardrock. Part of the enjoyment of bicycles for me is working on them. I wouldn't hesitate to transfer parts over from the C-dale. You can always put them back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Make sure you're running cantilever brake levers with your cantilever Avid brakes. If you're using later v-brake levers, the brakes will not perform like they ought to. Some of the Shimano levers are adjustable between the two pull-ratios, so you may want to look into that.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    So I found a donor bike that had some street tires on it already, and I slapped this together rather quickly. And I do mean slapped it together. I rode it to work yesterday and the crank arm loosened on me 3 times.

I basically wanted to get a feel for the fit, since this frame is around 21 inches, and I usually ride a 17 or 18 mtb. I like the tall headtube, brings the bars up high. Speaking of bars, those were my only purchase. A set of VO Milan bars. They're ok, but a little too narrow for me. Now I'm thinking of either dirt drops, or a Mary bar. I've got a Mary on another bike, so that would be easy to try. The dirt drop intrigues me though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1989ish specalized hardrock townie build-hardrock2.jpg