mountaingoatcycles.com

1988 Mountain Goat Deluxe, on Fire with Campagnolo

Nice clean 1988 Mountain Goat Deluxe with Hot Rod flames. Brings us up to 7 oval-tubed Goats Combination of Campagnolo Euclid and Centaur parts with an IRD post and King headset.

More pictures and details @ MOMBAT: 1988 Mountain Goat Deluxe w/ Hot Rod Flames

skeet, skeet, skeet
    Wowie! I think I just made in my pants. That is awsome.
    Men are more ready to repay an injury than a benefit
    because gratitude is a burden and revenge a pleasure.
    Tacitus

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    sigh.....wow! I always wanted Euclid, btw. Loved the look. Thanks for another great bike!!!!
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

VRC Illuminati
    Definitely a cool one.

Post looks more like Syncros than IRD from the pic. Maybe Colkervision can determine...
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

VRC Hound
    Syncros post.

mountaingoatcycles.com
    That is what I get for filling out the specs at home without the bike or pictures in front of me. Fixed it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    That one is a killer. Very very nice. Thanks for this one. I'd buy a calendar of these, btw, if you made one.
    D

workin' it Administrator
    I have a sad story to tell about a Mountain Goat Deluxe:

Imagine you are back in the early nineties, 9spd shifting is just on the horizon, Thumbshifters still rule the day, rohloff makes chains, cantilevers are coming back and the first production suspension forks and stuff are making in roads.

At the time I ride a too small mantis XCR-EC with a bunch of era components my friend however, even in the early nineties, is a VRC guy. Rides an early 80's ritchey, has a couple of others, supercomps, timbercomps etc. but decides he wants to get a custom.

Calls Jeff L at mountain goat and orders a deluxe. Goes through the whole design process, braze-on, geometry, matching fork, stem, water bottles, T-shirts signed by the entire team that built the bike. Essentially your favorite annoying customer.

As the bike is being built and assembled he begins collecting parts, XT 8spd shifters with a handbuilt from 2 dura ace cassettes 11x32 cassette. Dura-ace hubs, ringle bottle cages to match, XTR seatpost, Dura-Ace rear derailleur with XT long cage pulley body, xtr brakes, answer hyperlite handlebar, ritchey foam grips, selle italia flite saddle, cook bros. cranks, shimano M737 pedals, and specialized Ground Control EC (?) tires.

Over the next few years the bike gets a Mountain Cycles suspenders fork with the pro stop disc brakes as well. He eventually sells the fork and goes back to the handmade MG fork.

Now the bike is dark blue with the jungle theme paint. The bottom of the tubes are painted with foliage in whites and greens, there are wild animals everywhere, birds, tigers, and monkeys, the paint is pearled and coated in multiple layers of clear coat.

It is one of the most beautiful early bikes I can think of. So sad story...

He moves away, goes to live in a smallish eastern Canada town and leaves his bike in the back of his VW scirocco one night. The next morning he wakes to a broken rear window and this beautiful bike is gone. He never sees it again and every time I mention it I can tell it breaks his heart.

Truly a one of kind perfect bike, probably thrown in a dumpster somewhere or parted and repainted. I have attached pictures of the bike, they are poor and don't really show the amazing paint job or the huge range of details the frame had.

This is the owner with his signed MG shirt and matching bottles
    banff bike trip_003

that's it laying on the ground.
    banff bike trip_030

I think these are the only pictures that exist of it.
    Try this: HTFU

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy View Post
    Definitely a cool one.

Post looks more like Syncros than IRD from the pic. Maybe Colkervision can determine...
    easy.. syncros.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post
    I have a sad story to tell about a Mountain Goat Deluxe:

Imagine you are back in the early nineties, 9spd shifting is just on the horizon, Thumbshifters still rule the day, rohloff makes chains, cantilevers are coming back and the first production suspension forks and stuff are making in roads.

At the time I ride a too small mantis XCR-EC with a bunch of era components my friend however, even in the early nineties, is a VRC guy. Rides an early 80's ritchey, has a couple of others, supercomps, timbercomps etc. but decides he wants to get a custom.

Calls Jeff L at mountain goat and orders a deluxe. Goes through the whole design process, braze-on, geometry, matching fork, stem, water bottles, T-shirts signed by the entire team that built the bike. Essentially your favorite annoying customer.

As the bike is being built and assembled he begins collecting parts, XT 8spd shifters with a handbuilt from 2 dura ace cassettes 11x32 cassette. Dura-ace hubs, ringle bottle cages to match, XTR seatpost, Dura-Ace rear derailleur with XT long cage pulley body, xtr brakes, answer hyperlite handlebar, ritchey foam grips, selle italia flite saddle, cook bros. cranks, shimano M737 pedals, and specialized Ground Control EC (?) tires.

Over the next few years the bike gets a Mountain Cycles suspenders fork with the pro stop disc brakes as well. He eventually sells the fork and goes back to the handmade MG fork.

Now the bike is dark blue with the jungle theme paint. The bottom of the tubes are painted with foliage in whites and greens, there are wild animals everywhere, birds, tigers, and monkeys, the paint is pearled and coated in multiple layers of clear coat.

He moves away, goes to live in a smallish eastern Canada town and leaves his bike in the back of his VW scirocco one night. The next morning he wakes to a broken rear window and this beautiful bike is gone. He never sees it again and every time I mention it I can tell it breaks his heart.

Truly a one of kind perfect bike, probably thrown in a dumpster somewhere or parted and repainted. I have attached pictures of the bike, they are poor and don't really show the amazing paint job or the huge range of details the frame had.

This is the owner with his signed MG shirt and matching bottles
    banff bike trip_003

that's it laying on the ground.
    banff bike trip_030

I think these are the only pictures that exist of it.
    those chainstays look shorter than usual de luxes... sad story indeed.
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

gobsmacked Moderator
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by rockcrusher View Post

Rocky, that description sounds pretty good. Nice to know as I'm sure we can keep an eye out for it. It's possible that it could pop up again eventually unless the jerk rattlecanned it or powdercoated it.

Poor guy. I wish people never left their bikes in their cars overnight. Just too easy.