mountaingoatcycles.com

1987 Monty Trialsin Ot Pi replica

Nor too familiar with the Monty bikes and there seems to be relatively little information about the older ones. A 1987 catalog page has a bike that is nearly identical to this one and is listed as an Ot Pi replica. The decals on this one are a little bit different. The Monty bikes were produced in Spain and use a lot of European and Monty-labeled components. Quality appears to be relatively modest and the chrome plating is pretty thin. Interesting components include the brakes that route the cable through a roller supposedly increasing the power. The bike also has a nicely integrated aluminum bash guard and an aftermarket front brake guard.

More pictures @ http://mombat.org/MOMBAT/Bikes/1987_Monty.html

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Monty is still synonymous with low-quality house brand parts, including proprietary stuff that was hard to replace. Kudos to them, though, for being possibly the first real dedicated trials bike maker.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Yeah, some of the details like the tacked on cable guides are pretty cheesy. I suppose they were trying to keep the prices down since a trials bike may have been a second or third "play" bike that folks didn't want to invest a lot in?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My impression is that they were just cheap in spirit, and milking their brand name, which was synonymous with "only dedicated trials bike out there"... Monty did do some good things for the sport- they created the 19" rear wheel standard, which allowed an absolutely massive motorcycle rear tire for big rear wheel moves without the danger of getting a flat tire; they put out instructional VHS tapes with Ot Pi and Cesar Canyas pulling big moves in slow-mo; I believe they invented the four-bolt Magura mount, which is far stiffer than the adapter system used on canti bosses.
    They tried to do the same thing with less successful standards though- they made a 25" rear wheel for stock bikes which flopped, a proprietary stem, admittedly pretty high quality, but with its own slanting top cap and I believe a bar diameter between 25.4mm and 31.8mm, militating use of their bar.
    I got one of their chromoly mod bikes in 1999, and it was appalling- crummy welds, slightly misaligned brake bosses, shabby freewheel, cast alloy hubs, bad pedals... I had the feeling that part of the issue was simply that they built in small production runs and could not produce quality for money. That was true of most trials bikes until the late 90's.
    undefined Absolutely must have: Black Machine Tech Zeroflex brake levers (the ones with the rotating leverage adjuster)