I like to ride my bike
    Apr 2007

1985ish raliegh technium

I just purchased a raliegh technium road bike with 27" rims. I bought it from a shop that had found it in a box in storage and put it together. Never been ridden! I tuned it up and put in a few rides on it and it is great. Baby blue with white griptape. Beautiful.

My question is: Is it the kind of bike that I want to keep completely original because it is a classic or should I just go ahead with frankensteining it into a commuter single speed? Like I said it is brand new, not a scratch on it and I paid very little for it. Thanks for your help guys.

Ps First post of many to come

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    i know those bikes well. bonded steel and aluminum. i have two of those frames sitting here right now. pretty heavy but some of them can look nice. in no way will it be a classic so i say do with it what you want.

I like to ride my bike
    Apr 2007
    Thanks that's all I needed to hear. I can hear the spray paint cans jingling!

IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by Freddy Mercury
    Thanks that's all I needed to hear. I can hear the spray paint cans jingling!
    oh no, not even the crappiest frame deserves a rattle can job. oh the humanity. of course i dont know if you can powder coat it either. that might mess with the bonding????

mtbr member
    Hey Freddy, do you happen to live in Chicago? I just saw someone drive by with a white Raliegh Technium with blue decals on the back of a car a couple of hours ago! That is so freakin' weird!

I like to ride my bike
    Apr 2007
    Nope I'm in Denver. The one I got is Baby blue. Just kidding about the spraypaint though, I think I want to keep it orginal paint but turning it into a SS, and adding straight bars.