YESBRO!!!

1985 Fisher Excalibur

picked up a 1985 Excalibur from a buddy of mine who's thinning out his bike stuff. he's the OG owner. he raced it to a 1st palce nationl expert finish back in the day.

any ideas on what tires came on it? i may just get some from firstflight, the ones they had panaracer make that are repops.

it also needs stickers. sources?

thanks.

ps- anyone ever ridden one of the 1992/1993 full suspension waterfords? the ones designed by eric buell?

VRC Hound
    Pics please

mountaingoatcycles.com
    Quote Originally Posted by datenschwanz

any ideas on what tires came on it? i may just get some from firstflight, the ones they had panaracer make that are repops.

ps- anyone ever ridden one of the 1992/1993 full suspension waterfords? the ones designed by eric buell?
    Fisher Specs @ http://www.firstflightbikes.com/fisher_specs.htm

Buell @ http://mombat.org/1992_Paramount_SASS.htm

The Panaracer tires are made using the original molds so they really aren't reproductions? Not sure what the exact definition would be though.

just 1 more
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight
    The Panaracer tires are made using the original molds so they really aren't reproductions? Not sure what the exact definition would be though.
    Old New Stock?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by First Flight
    Fisher Specs @ http://www.firstflightbikes.com/fisher_specs.htm

Buell @ http://mombat.org/1992_Paramount_SASS.htm

I think the term might be "reissue". It depends if they're from the original supplier.

sjd

YESBRO!!!
    werd.

not repops then. shall we just call them 'classic tires'?

YESBRO!!!
    1985 Fisher Excalibur
    "Bullmoose"
    Dia-Comp 982
    WTB roller cam brake
    Hite-rite and Suntour XC
    old school logo

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Hi, Im new to MTBR, and just got a Fisher Excalibur also

I want to restore it. I have several older bikes, have bought and sold severs true vintage bikes (40's to 60's swinns, etc,) and ride my Breezer Lighting weekly (well i try to ride as often as I can, LOL!) Anyway, i just got a Fisher Excalibur in need or restoration. It has sparked a renewed interest in early 80's mountain bikes. I found this Forum while poking around on the web.

I will try to post a picture of my bike later... but it was 'tossed' aside by some one who got something more modern, and it has been collecting dust for some time. My goal is to bring it back, and ride it and enjoy what it has to offer. It has already been repainted close to the original color once, and it was a high quality paint job, except for the lack of decals.

Wondered about parts availability for these old things, or is it Ebay, swap meets and such?

I heard that Joe Breeze has begun selling his NOS stock of Hite-Rite's again. I need to get new one or two (one for this bike in chome and a black one for my Lightning.) Years ago i had installed a Hite-Rite 'Lite' on it, and its white, now dirty looking, and the spring is tired from ears of use.

Thanks.

VRC Illuminati
    Quote Originally Posted by TorinoBP88
    I want to restore it. I have several older bikes, have bought and sold severs true vintage bikes (40's to 60's swinns, etc,) and ride my Breezer Lighting weekly (well i try to ride as often as I can, LOL!) Anyway, i just got a Fisher Excalibur in need or restoration. It has sparked a renewed interest in early 80's mountain bikes. I found this Forum while poking around on the web.

I will try to post a picture of my bike later... but it was 'tossed' aside by some one who got something more modern, and it has been collecting dust for some time. My goal is to bring it back, and ride it and enjoy what it has to offer. It has already been repainted close to the original color once, and it was a high quality paint job, except for the lack of decals.

Wondered about parts availability for these old things, or is it Ebay, swap meets and such?

I heard that Joe Breeze has begun selling his NOS stock of Hite-Rite's again. I need to get new one or two (one for this bike in chome and a black one for my Lightning.) Years ago i had installed a Hite-Rite 'Lite' on it, and its white, now dirty looking, and the spring is tired from ears of use.

Thanks.
    Welcome to the VRC. Vintage collecting, restoring, and riding is pretty rewarding IMHO. Glad you're excited about your project.

You pretty much nailed it...eBay, swaps, Craigslist. Its a bit of timing and patience, but the end result is well worth it.

Post pics when you get a chance. We like pictures.
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com
    Wanted: NDS Suntour XC Pro Microdrive 175mm Crank Arm.

mtbr member

nice find

Paint looks OK - much better than my find from the same era.

Should be fun to ride, enjoy!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Rumpfy
    Welcome to the VRC. Vintage collecting, restoring, and riding is pretty rewarding IMHO. Glad you're excited about your project.

You pretty much nailed it...eBay, swaps, Craigslist. Its a bit of timing and patience, but the end result is well worth it.

Post pics when you get a chance. We like pictures.
    Some Pics if i can figure how to post them. Never mind the date on the pic, the camera re-sets everytime i turn it on!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Trying to grow a mustache

As far as original tires go....

...maybe IRC X-1 Pro in 2.125?
    Vintage-Retro-Pragmatist

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Bought an almost matching Fisher Montare for my wife today!

Met a lady who worked for Fisher back in 1985 and she had a recent injury and cant ride comfortably anymore, so she sold me her red Montare, 1984 model, and while not quite as high end as the Excalibur, they basically match and the bike is the wifes size! Its built up with Deore parts, wide flange hubs and mechanically excellent. Totally original, except Biopace rings and different tires and incorrect rear brake pads... Its also missing the hite-right, but i will fix that, installing a chrome one this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Pictures of my new Matching Fisher Montare, 1984

Purchased for my wife from the lady who was the original owner! Is rides almost like it was new!
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

what is serial #

Quote Originally Posted by TorinoBP88
    Purchased for my wife from the lady who was the original owner! Is rides almost like it was new!
    i recently built a single speed from an old Montare frame. where is the serial number at. what is yours? is it on bottom? i have a pic on my profile of it. cant upload for some reason. this looks like an 80s frame. i not sure.
    Last edited by gary herpin; 04-10-2009 at 11:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Serial Numbers, usually on bottom of Bottom Bracket.

II have a clean montare, but it was too small for my wife so i sold it, I dont remember the serial number off hand, but it was on the bottom and was a 1983.