mtbr member
    Sep 2004

1984 Ross Mt. Whitney

I stumbled onto this Ross Mt. Whitney over the winter. I had always liked the chrome Ross bikes back in the mid-80's but never owned one. I know they aren't considered a rare or even collectible bike, but I am often driven to buy things based on past impressions and fond memories of a simpler time. The bike seems to be pretty close to original spec other than the saddle, and once I rode it I knew I had to have it. There is something so smooth and finished about the ride of this bike but I can't really put a finger on what it is. Maybe its the solid ride of the layed-back resilient steel frame, or the smooth action of the old deer head components which are nicely constructed. Even the friction shifting works so smoothly I am amazed. At any rate I thought I would share some pics of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    My first mt bike was a mt whitney. They are still great looking bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I just recently picked up two ross mt.hood off ebay, which is one step below yours component wise, and love these bikes. they are eye catching around bike collectors. i lightly ride one around my block on a daily basis and its works very well. something tells me when a bike this old has lasted this long it was designed the correct way. the fact the materials are holding up to the test of time...something about bikes built in that time frame when quality mattered most. they don't make anymore of them under 500 so i am holding on to my two.