mtbr member
    Sep 2014

1984 Fisher Mt. Tam rebuild thread

Hello,
    As I posted in new acquisitions thread, I just acquired a 1984 Mt. Tam. I rode it around and for my commute to work one day since I got it a few days ago but this poor guy needs some major love. I have since taken it all apart to bring some new life into this old frame. Should be a fun process! The serial number is 20T4, I guess that means frame 4 for the 20" size? There are a few chips in the paint as this bike looks like it has been well used over its life. I have been cleaning off a lot of dirt. So far I have replaced the bottom bracket and cleaned up the brakes and crankset.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1984 Fisher Mt. Tam rebuild thread-fisher2-2.jpg  

1984 Fisher Mt. Tam rebuild thread-fisher5.jpg  

1984 Fisher Mt. Tam rebuild thread-fisher6.jpg  

1984 Fisher Mt. Tam rebuild thread-fisher12.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I noticed that the seat tube does not open into the bottom bracket which made me concerned about possible rust at the bottom. I looked down with a flashlight and did see some light rust but to be sure I decided to scrub it and neutralize it. I will frame saver the whole frame after it is dry to make sure everything is nice and protected from future water intrusion.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1984 Fisher Mt. Tam rebuild thread-photo-3-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    I noticed the chrome bullmoose bars are made by a company called "HL"? I thought I saw online that the Mt. Tam originally had Nitto bullmoose bars. Anyone know what the story is on HL handlebars? The seatpost is also HL.

mtbr member
    Think HL stands for Hsing Lung a Taiwanese manufacturer. Of course I could be wrong.
    Technology dragass

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks! It looks like they made a lot of bars back in the day. Quality seems good at least.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    So the old Hatta swan headset has a good amount of rusting on the chrome finish. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement headset for vintage mountain bikes? I was thinking about just getting a velo-orange headset but would finding an old XT headset be better?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaTown View Post
    So the old Hatta swan headset has a good amount of rusting on the chrome finish. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good replacement headset for vintage mountain bikes? I was thinking about just getting a velo-orange headset but would finding an old XT headset be better?
    Look for a Tange Levin steel headset - about $20. You can still buy Hatta Swans, but I think they're about 5x the price. Nice bike!

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    New headset arrived today! Everything was great until I discovered the fork race it came with is 27mm instead of 26.4! Shoooot. That is not going to be fun to try and find. Anyone have a line on one?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1984 Fisher Mt. Tam rebuild thread-photo-4-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    While the headset hunt is going on I have turned my attention back to the frame. What do you guys do for chain suck damage on the chain stays? Mainly the paint is all scraped off in that area, do you guys just use touch up paint? The rest of the bike has fairly decent paint and I like how "used" it looks so I'll probably just polish up the paint, wax it and call it good.

Stokeless Asshat
    Unless the gouges are really deep I would just touch it up and ride.
    Zip ties? Not on my bike!

Want:
    650B rims or wheel set. 80's vintage 32 or 36 x 135mm

mtbr member
    2nd
    Technology dragass

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Thanks guys. What paint do you guys use by chance?

mtbr member
    Not sure if this is the right or even a good answer, but I use Testors Model Enamel paint because it is an oil base and I can mix up a custom batch by using different colors to match the frame.

John
    1995 Trek 970 - 80mm Atom Race
    1992 Serotta T-Max - 70mm Z3 Light
    1993 GT All Terra - 46mm Mag 21
    (STOLEN)

the new Gilbert Grape
    Quote Originally Posted by 70sSanO View Post
    Not sure if this is the right or even a good answer, but I use Testors Model Enamel paint because it is an oil base and I can mix up a custom batch by using different colors to match the frame.

John
    Same here. Hobby shops carry lots of colors.

How "period correct" are you trying to go with the build? I have a spare SunTour JIS headset (27.0mm) but it's several years newer than your bike.
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Great, I was thinking hobby paint but didn't know if it was up to the job.
    As for period correct, I thought when I bought it that it had mostly original components but after a lot of searching it seems like someone upgraded it in the late 80s. It has the original deer head front derailleur, headset and maybe bars and cranks, but the m730 rear derailleur, hubs, Araya RM-20 rims and maybe the magura brake levers look to be from the late 80s. So going back to period correct would require me to get a lot of parts and at this point I just want to enjoy this bike. Maybe I'll collect all the pieces over time slowly.
    As for the headset, I purchased a Shimano arabesque headset but I didn't realize it was JIS, instead of the ISO I need for this bike, so it didn't fit. I just sold that headset and I was thinking of getting a cane creek 110 headset. I like that it has minimal branding and will last a long time. Still like the look of those arabesque headsets though...
    Quote Originally Posted by laffeaux View Post
    Same here. Hobby shops carry lots of colors.

How "period correct" are you trying to go with the build? I have a spare SunTour JIS headset (27.0mm) but it's several years newer than your bike.

Humanoid Lobster
    Quote Originally Posted by SeaTown View Post
    New headset arrived today! Everything was great until I discovered the fork race it came with is 27mm instead of 26.4!
    If you've got an old-school LBS near you they've likely got the 26.4mm crown race mill needed to mill the crown to the more common diameter. (It was the old "Campy road standard" found in the age of 1" steel bikes.)
    Don't call it a gooseneck.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    The bike actually has a 26.4 fork crown diameter, the headset I ordered was JIS, not ISO so it didn't fit. My suspicions were peaked when I was able to slide the bearing cups into the head tube just with my hand. hahaha. I need to pay more attention when I buy stuff on ebay. :P I think I found a good deal locally on a shimano 600 ISO headset (90s I believe). Hopefully I can snag it.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Updates! Installed the new Cane Creek headset. It looks good and feels like butter, so happy I went with it. I had to change the front brake setup because of it. I did a preliminary setup of the front and back brakes. I didn't realize the old brake housing was so much fatter in diameter than the new style. Do you guys think this is a big problem? The little ferrels do seem a bit more wobbly that the older fat ones.
    The next project is fixing the wobbly rear cassette on the m730 rear hub. I am hoping there is a way to tighten up the freehub and that its not just worn out.
    Mt. Tam by ChaseRW, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Well I finally completed the build. Kept most of the components that came with the bike as they seemed original. More photos to follow later when its nice outside. Here is a quick shot. Can't wait to finally ride this beast.

1984 Fisher Mt. Tam rebuild thread-mt-tam.jpg