Thread: 1984 Fat resto

mtbr member

1984 Fat resto

Here's my 1984 Fat I just restored back to original specs, serial # 84124 Made from Reynolds 531, 1st year for unicrown fork, all Shimano M700, (Deer Head group), Sugino AT cranks, Specialized sealed hubs with QR, Sature HX22 rims, SR laprade seatpost, Avocet racing 1 seat, Nitto Alum bullmoose bar/stem, Suntour XCII pedals, Shimano 600AX headset, Fat Chance press in bottom bracket. The bike was originally red so I went with same color. Heck, everybody has to have at least one red bike!
    Jeff at First Flight Bicycles states that this is the highest # bike for 1984 so far.

Attached Images Attached Images

the new Gilbert Grape
    Nice looking bike!!!!
    Each bicycle owned exponentially increases the probability that none is working correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Nice work! I love the way the cable routing is done around the top of the BB shell. Keeps the cables out of the mud to a degree. Never noticed that before.

Are you gonna ride it? Sadly, my Yo Eddy frameset is hanging on the wall in my parents barn in PA at present.

mtbr member
    kb11,

Already saw it at FatCogs.com. Itīs awesome! Forget suspension, forget alloy, forget diskbrakes; this is what is needed to have maximum fun for people like me.

Melvin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cable routing on 84 Fat

I had not noticed the cable routing before, good eye!
    Jeff at First Flight has an 84 with cable routing like this and my 86 has the same, other than these 3 bikes I have seen no other Fats like this although I was told that it was not uncommon "back in the day". Does anyone else have an example like this?

Great job on the restoration, beautiful bike!

VRC Illuminati
    Fantastic resto Ken!

It's one of those bikes that looks fast sitting still.

Where did you get the pain work done at? And how did you track down the decals?
    -eric-

http://www.rumpfy.com

Wanted: Syncros 27.2 x 425 seatpost, 26.8 x 400 IRD seatpost

mtbr member
    The paint was done locally. This bike was raced in New England in the mid to late '80's and had been repainted in team colors. It was originally red and I tried to match the paint as close as I could. I had the decals reproduced at Signs and Designs by SuzieQ : http://www.suzieillustrator.com/vinyl.htm When the paint was stripped off I could see the tubing was stamped Reynolds 531. I was lucky to find a lady on Ebay who had the correct NOS Reynolds 531 decals at a reasonable price. Just got a line on a 1986 Mountain Goat in pieces, just may be my next project

artistic...
    Quote Originally Posted by NAHTNOJ
    Nice work! I love the way the cable routing is done around the top of the BB shell. Keeps the cables out of the mud to a degree. Never noticed that before.

Are you gonna ride it? Sadly, my Yo Eddy frameset is hanging on the wall in my parents barn in PA at present.
    classic vintage road bike cable routing...
    want: Ibis ti handlebar. suntour 31.8 front derr. bottom pull

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by kb11
    The paint was done locally. This bike was raced in New England in the mid to late '80's and had been repainted in team colors. It was originally red and I tried to match the paint as close as I could. I had the decals reproduced at Signs and Designs by SuzieQ : http://www.suzieillustrator.com/vinyl.htm When the paint was stripped off I could see the tubing was stamped Reynolds 531. I was lucky to find a lady on Ebay who had the correct NOS Reynolds 531 decals at a reasonable price. Just got a line on a 1986 Mountain Goat in pieces, just may be my next project
    Looks great. Nice job! I remember seeing that thing on ebay not too long ago. Its come a long ways!

mtbr member
    Ya, the guy had it listed as an '86 Gotta check those serial #'s !! I see alot of bikes listed on Ebay incorrectly. They always seem to be listed a couple of years newer than they actually are or they claim its one of the 1st mountain bikes made, lol Something to watch for.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Nicely Done!

Wow, spectacular! One of the nicest Fat's I've laid eyes on! Great work!

-mtnwing